N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default LUK 335is clutch & DMFW - 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Well it happened, car began to slip quite a lot in 4-6th gear around 2500 rpm when the turbos kicked in today. Probably not a whole lot of life left in the clutch right now so after researching the topic on and off for the last year or two I decided to go with this combo to keep the car stock like, from what I can tell LUK is the OEM and total cost through ECS came out to about $1150 shipped with a few extra gaskets / transmission oil.

I am resisting the itch to look into upgraded turbos, @ 70k miles and wanting to maintain reliability what would you do?

2007 e92 335i - fbo (mostly)
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM

If you think you may upgrade turbos down the road, then I would suggest an upgraded clutch and SMFW..
if you're sticking with stock turbos, then the 335is clutch kit with a new DMFW will be a great upgrade that should last you a long time..
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 10-31-2018, 07:36 AM

Don’t load it up like that in higher gears. No clutch likes that. My 6 puck clutchmasters clutch m mfactory smfw. Started slipping after doing that a few times. Now I try to make sure the car is above 3000rpm when I do. No more issues
(#4)
Old

Car: 2009 e90 335i 6MT
Default 10-31-2018, 08:31 AM

Have a 335is/dmfw with mmps no issues so far but I'm also not over 30psi. The twins are new and I know the longevity of that clutch/pressure plate is reduced but for now, weee!

I was able to reuse my dmfw so my total was only like $350 or something for the clutch/throwout/pressure plate/some seals/brass pivot. A SMFW is only $450 so 1100 seems like a lot to me =\

Agreed with NA55, twin disk + mfactory steel smfw if you plan to upgrade turbos/go ST.

crazyyardie is also right, 6th gear starting WOT at 2k = yikes
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 10-31-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew
Have a 335is/dmfw with mmps no issues so far but I'm also not over 30psi. The twins are new and I know the longevity of that clutch/pressure plate is reduced but for now, weee!

I was able to reuse my dmfw so my total was only like $350 or something for the clutch/throwout/pressure plate/some seals/brass pivot. A SMFW is only $450 so 1100 seems like a lot to me =\

Agreed with NA55, twin disk + mfactory steel smfw if you plan to upgrade turbos/go ST.

crazyyardie is also right, 6th gear starting WOT at 2k = yikes
The DMFW was a lot more than any of the singles I came across however I do not want to have the car chatter at idle, sounds like a headache if I ever decided to try and sell it.

I had one incident about 5k miles ago where the car let out a puff of smoke when turning into a parking spot and I havent seen it happen since. I think the only reason I am thinking about replacing turbos would be from a reliability standpoint but at the same time if I am going to go through all of the extra work I would like something to show for it (a little more power, nothing crazy).

I will probably leave the stock turbos in there for now unless I come across a good deal for a set of upgraded twins that are proven reliable.

2007 e92 335i - fbo (mostly)
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 10-31-2018, 06:52 PM

If you're not pushing for over 500hp this is really the best combo for your car. My clutch started slipping when it got really cold outside, if floored at 3k rpm in 4th the rpm would jump up to 3500 and stay there until tranny caught up to continue the climb as normal. Strange enough I could only reproduce the slippage for a month or so and then it disappeared. Anyway, that gave me the idea that clutch is going to go soon and that's the setup i went for. I have stage2+ hybrids and I'm trying to push for more power, but I get misfires over 6K RPM now and I wish I got a single mass flywheel. Black friday is coming, you may get some good deals. I got OEM 550i clutch for 300 euro and the LuK flywheel for another 300 GBP.