N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i M sport
Default PCV Valve cover Repair kit DIY? Thoughts or experiences? - 09-26-2018, 04:51 AM

(2011 N55, BMS intake, JB 4, Chargepipe.)

I thought that I would post this in the DIY section. Considering it's basically a DIY project.
So, My valve has gone bad, I have had all of the symptoms of either the valve or rear seal.
The actual fix is a new valve cover. However, I can't afford it right now so I ordered this.( see link ) 20 bucks and zero labor is better than the alternative right now.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

Has anyone else done this? Any pointers would be great.

By the way, I'll take pics and post my install if it actually works, and do a write-up.

Thank You.
See link below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Cover...8AAOSw241YgdNv

2011 M Sport N55 coupe, BMS intake/ chargepipe, Jb4
(#2)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 10-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Is your valve cover cracked? You should be able to buy a new PCV valve for the N55, don't buy anything off ebay, buy an OEM part or a genuine BMW part off ECS/FCP Euro etc.
If your valve cover is just leaking, order a new valve cover gasket and new bolts for the valve cover. Remove the valve cover and inspect it, if it isn't cracked, then simply replace the valve cover gasket and install it with the new bolts. Some people don't replace these bolts and end up snapping them when re-installing them or when removing them again after re-installing them... Removing broken bolts from the head isn't a fun task, been there, done that and I'm a hobby machinist so I even had the tools/experience to do it and it wasn't fun - I ended up installing a time-sert insert because the bolt didn't come out cleanly.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-01-2018, 01:13 PM

The repair kit made it worse by the way.
Now I have to replace the cover because my valve cover is hacked.
There is excessive vacuum inside the engine, causing what is probably the seals to whine. It is worse now than it was before. And I took my time and installed it correctly.
Its going in the shop tomorrow. And I'm REALLY hoping that my seals are still ok.

(#4)
Old

Default 10-31-2018, 05:50 AM

Update.
The new valve cover did help quiet down the seal noise quite a bit. In fact, it only mainly when the JB4 is turned on ( any map ).
I guess the seals didnt survive.

Its funny, I have a 21 year old beat up truck with 200, 000 miles on it and i have less problems with parts failing or breaking.
Ive had the car for only like 4 months and have already sinked around 2 grad into replacing stuff.
With all the cash im shelling out I couldve used it as a down payment on something more reliable.

If there are so many common problems with the 2011 N55 cars, then why havent recalled anything?
Valve covers, Front/ rear main seals, Chargepipes, coils, fuel pumps. etc.

(#5)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Now this makes sense. If you had a clogged PCV and you were pressurizing your crank case, it could lead to blown main seals or blown turbo seals.
1. Valve cover - most of the time it is just the valve cover gasket that needs to be replaced. If you have a crack in the valve cover, then it would need to be replaced. Did yours crack or did it just leak? The valve cover houses the PCV valve but it can be replace separately (without removing the valve cover, thats on my N54 tho).
2. Front/rear seals - Not a common failure on the N54/N55
3. Chargepipes - Stock are plastic, they will hold 8 psi of boost just fine, if you tune the car and you crack or blow your stock chargepipe off, its because BMW didn't design it to withstand double the pressure. Hence why a chargepipe and BOV/Forge diverter valves are the 1st mods you should make if you plan on running higher boost levels.
4. Coils - like spark plugs, they are maintenance items - expect them to last 20k-30k miles.
5. Fuel pump - the HPFP in the N54 (mainly the 3 series) is the thing everyone talks about. This is because BMW knew they had a batch of faulty high pressure fuel pumps, it was better financially for BMW to see if they failed/wait for them to fail and replace them under warranty than to replace all the fuel pumps from the bad batch. Once the class action law suit settled - BMW extended the warranty for all HPFPs to 120k miles.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#6)
Old

Car: 550i
Default 11-12-2018, 12:18 AM

Bmw n-series engines have the pcv valve issue. Starts with a whining sound and best way to test if its gone, try open oil cap engine running. If you cant get it open with very little force, valve os gone.
Russian firm called vanos bmw makes those seals to fix it, I have changed tens of those and issues gone..
Original cap is clued on place, so you need patience and heatgun to get it open..no need to take valvecover of. Be careful when lifting the cap, there is a spring on the seal also for load.

If the valve isnt changed in time, it will popout numerous of seals out from engine..

N63 also has that issue, and you can regodnize it by oil burn..also those pcv’s can be swapped and are quite cheap.

550i
M6Lci esstuned
(#7)
Old

Default 11-12-2018, 09:46 AM

I had a brand new OEM valve cover installed and it still whines from rear of engine. But only after running a Jb4 map.
Occasionally I will get a faint whine still with Jb4 off.
I'm keeping Jb4 off for now.
Taking off the oil cap makes the sound stop.
So,,, It's NOT the valve cover causing the sound.
Must be the rear seal due to location of the sound. Right?

Is there not some type of aftermarket valve that I could tap into the cover to keep the vacuum pressure regulated? instead of paying 1500 to replace a seal?