N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default China inlets anyone? - 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM

One of our Chinese suppliers wants us to start stocking their silicon inlets. Since BMS doesn't offer an inlet solution it's a bit of a gap in our product lineup. Quality seems good, but will have to verify fitment.

What do inlets go for these days? Would anyone pay $179 for these? We'd include caps for those not running OEM style diverter valves.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 03-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Terry,

If the picture is the actual product BEWARE as we lost literally one set of turbos of all of our shipments over the course of the past 16 months- turns out the customer was running these exact units and the rear burnt through. In short that "smart" savings of about $100 ended up costing us all about $2,000 when said and done. Installer working with them said they were garbage as well.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 03-12-2018 at 09:04 PM..
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Those are photos China provided us. I jumped on Alibaba and noticed there are literally like 15 companies selling various versions of them. We'd probably have to evaluate more than one to see what works best.

How did you loose a turbos to the inlets?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-12-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Those are photos China provided us. I jumped on Alibaba and noticed there are literally like 15 companies selling various versions of them. We'd probably have to evaluate more than one to see what works best.

How did you loose a turbos to the inlets?
Yes, he got them on Alibaba as well. They all have very distinctive look, design, texture; but some have the adapters and some don't. They are cheap, though.

Regarding the turbo failure it started with his rear inlet burning through. Then he had to pull the rear inlet off and left the front one on, and then drove it around for a while without an inlet on the rear as he waited for a replacement. In the midst of all of this the rear turbo was compromised. If you would like to speak with the tech involved shoot me an email and Ill put you in touch and he can brief you on the ordeal if you'd like.

Anyway a complete bum deal for all parties and pretty frustrating as this was the only unit we have had fail in all of our shipments for the past 16 months, and was completely avoidable if the inlet had not simply burnt through. Perhaps it was an anomaly, but the only known experience we have seen with these alibaba inlets was a very bad one and all to save a couple pennies in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps see if there is any other feedback before you put your John Hanc*ck on these things.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#5)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 03-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Rob, exactly where would a rear inlet "burn" through? Can you point out to us the place where a rear inlet runs near a heat source hot enough to melt silicone? As for Terry carrying RB knocks offs. Seems almost like a slap in the face to Rob. Just carry RB inlets, or talk to me about wholesale pricing on inlets. We have received emails from Chinese companies literally trying to sell us knock off's our own inlets. Quite funny

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-13-2018, 07:35 AM

Can't really explain and don't know enough about the product to know for certain. Just know it developed a large hole, needed replacement, and rest of the story is above.

That was enough for myself to never want one installed on our turbos again, too much cost and too much wasted time for too little of a savings; but on the competitors stuff and/or original OEM's it's all good.

Rob

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Funny that literally the only two people who reply to the thread are guys selling inlets. I know we could look to resell RB or VTT inlets each of which I know are great. But, people are always going to associate those inlets with each of your respective companies, see them on our site, and buy direct. Plus the margins would be much higher on generic China inlets and allow a much lower retail price. Obviously the quality has to be there and I'd rather not buy inlets that are a direct copy of either of yours. I don't believe any of these inlets are made in the USA so I'm confident China can churn out sufficient quality in this case.

On China copying parts the other day Phoenix sent us one of their new "VW Intakes" which is a direct copy of the BMS intake (made at ACF, not even sure how China got one to copy). But we all know how that game works over there.

We actually sent Phoenix our S55 intake and chargepipes so they could make a China version of them. Our cost is literally 1/3 of what it costs here.

Anyway I'm trying to gauge customer interest in a lower cost China inlet for the N54. Something we've tested/inspected and given our thumbs up to.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Funny that literally the only two people who reply to the thread are guys selling inlets. I know we could look to resell RB or VTT inlets each of which I know are great. But, people are always going to associate those inlets with each of your respective companies, see them on our site, and buy direct. Plus the margins would be much higher on generic China inlets and allow a much lower retail price. Obviously the quality has to be there and I'd rather not buy inlets that are a direct copy of either of yours. I don't believe any of these inlets are made in the USA so I'm confident China can churn out sufficient quality in this case.

On China copying parts the other day Phoenix sent us one of their new "VW Intakes" which is a direct copy of the BMS intake (made at ACF, not even sure how China got one to copy). But we all know how that game works over there.

We actually sent Phoenix our S55 intake and chargepipes so they could make a China version of them. Our cost is literally 1/3 of what it costs here.

Anyway I'm trying to gauge customer interest in a lower cost China inlet for the N54.
Honestly we do not sell our inlets much anymore to the passer-byer's, it became a very small market once VRSF came along (which also seems to be an RB knock off) at a few bucks less with no CNC custom adapters and low quality clamps. Just like many who buy those (and others) end up calling us up later for our adapters and clamps lol. What some will compromise to save a couple pennies is sometimes humorous, but we are happy to have a very high quality offering for our turbo customers nonetheless.

At any rate I was simply sharing the experience, the one that ruined our perfect record we were maintaining quite well for quite a long while. It is the small stuff like that costs us 10's of hours and hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of dollars, not including what the consumer loses in labor; which all equates to a very avoidable bad experience. Not saying to put much all into this as it is a single review, but to definitely find some more reviews from those who actually have used them. Some of us (speaking for all affiliated turbo vendors here) have a lot to lose over these sorts of things and it is nothing to do with losing the minuscule profits of inlet sales.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 03-13-2018 at 09:27 AM..
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2018, 08:58 PM

Bump for comments from customers.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 03-13-2018, 09:30 PM

Cheap inlets sound nice, but with the amount of work involved to install them, I would rather pay a little more for a product which has proven to be reliable.
(#11)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 03-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA55
Cheap inlets sound nice, but with the amount of work involved to install them, I would rather pay a little more for a product which has proven to be reliable.
In addition to this, I would say that the intake side of your turbo is not a place to have questionable materials or quality.
(#12)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 03-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Unfortunately I already have inlets so I would not be looking to get any for the current car. However, having some other options available on the market would be good. Obviously as stated above, quality is very important and I would not leave out fitment. The inlets I have were not easy to install and personally didn't think the quality was where it should be for the cost.

If you could bring to the market a competitively priced, quality made product that performs well then you should have no problem selling them.

Mods
- ST GTX3582R, JB4+BEF, PI, Stage 3 Fuel, E80
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-14-2018, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure a set of N54 inlets exist that are not made in China so I'm not that concerned with getting quality parts from there. But we'd definitely need to evaluate that aspect.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure a set of N54 inlets exist that are not made in China so I'm not that concerned with getting quality parts from there. But we'd definitely need to evaluate that aspect.
Terry, the China part is not the quality concern. As you kind of hinted toward earlier, it's all about getting the right mfg to make the part. As long as it's quality material that you've tested and give your approval (with numbers), I'm sure you can sell them.

Mods
- ST GTX3582R, JB4+BEF, PI, Stage 3 Fuel, E80
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM

There's no doubt that these all come from China... or at least the tubes themselves. There are additional factors in cost, however, such as on ours everything else is high grade such as 316ss hosing clamps (with tails that don't allow the clamps to distort or dig into the hose), in-house CNC'd T6061 PTC adapter and true Plug and Play diverter bungs (pre-equipped with high heat caps and double-snap clamps for BOV) anodized black as in attached picture. If we were to substitute the hardware for the typical stuff (or lack thereof) in the competitive offerings, we could knock prices down quite a large margin. It is very clear that quality components along with fit and finish is not as important these days as price with this platform, and looking at some of these underhood shots is a dead giveaway in that regard.

The distorted and "springy" looking textured Copied Inlets are the ones we saw an issue with... just as in the OP picture. Apparently the customer thought "Hey per Alibaba these are the same as RB's and I can save $80!" and the rest is history. Perhaps it was just a very unlucky one-off though, feedback from some others who have used them would be ideal.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 03-14-2018 at 10:03 AM..
(#16)
Old

Car: 09 E92 N54
Default 03-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Bump for comments from customers.
LOL this is great!
Back to the topic I think it would be great offering considering what we have right now:
VTT $349.00
RB $325.00
VRSF $224.99
MMP $200.00
China sais it's "5 ply silicone construction, made from 500F rated silicone, and impregnated with steel wire for rigidity and collapse resistance" I assume 5 ply of silicone and 4 ply of reinforcement steel wire but maybe BMS could confirm/deny that. I wonder how many layers other options have. Hopefully vendors can share this information

Freude am Fahren
(#17)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Vrsf and mmp are already cheap pos alternatives. Ive held every companies inlets in my hands. Vtt and rb are 1000% worth the extra money. They arent flimsy, they retain shape and have metal enforcements. Vrsf and mmp sells wet noodles basically that deform under all conditions
. Why add another low grade product?
Why not offer a comparable one to vtt/rb?

And I personally dont care for either company- rb or vtt. I just want to make that clear.
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-14-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical
Vrsf and mmp are already cheap pos alternatives. Ive held every companies inlets in my hands. Vtt and rb are 1000% worth the extra money. They arent flimsy, they retain shape and have metal enforcements. Vrsf and mmp sells wet noodles basically that deform under all conditions
. Why add another low grade product?
Why not offer a comparable one to vtt/rb?

And I personally dont care for either company- rb or vtt. I just want to make that clear.
Didn't realize there was that much difference between them. We have RBs on our black 135i. And I've felt VTTs. I'll see how these compare when I get my hands on them. Normally what sets BMS apart when it comes to the China parts game is we have the capitol to dangle a large order in front of the manufacturer to get them to modify the parts to our specifications/needs.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize there was that much difference between them. We have RBs on our black 135i. And I've felt VTTs. I'll see how these compare when I get my hands on them. Normally what sets BMS apart when it comes to the China parts game is we have the capitol to dangle a large order in front of the manufacturer to get them to modify the parts to our specifications/needs.
Yeah definitely inspect. If you can get the quality on par, the hardwade (clamps) is easy.

Then theres plenty of market for sure
(#20)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 03-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA55
This. With a pain in the arse install, you want to do it once, be done and not have to deal with it. Saving $200 is meaningless if it costs you 6 hours or endangers expensive parts.
(#21)
Old
Low & Slow

Car: 335i LeMans M Sport
Default 03-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Currently in the market for inlets (and outlets) and have been eyeing the VRSF ones. Are you looking to offer stock and passenger side options? I've been running BMS products on my N54's since 2007-08 and have always been pleased, so if you stand behind it I'd definitely give it a strong consideration.

2013 LeMans 335is, 6MT, JB4, Data Cable, BMS DCI, VRSF **'s, VRSF CP

Sold: 2010 LeMans M Sport Coupe, 6MT, All Show, Goes Slow...

Sold: 2007 Montego Coupe, 6MT, This and That...
Best ET: 12.34
Best MPH: 112.65
(#22)
Old

Car: E92 N54
Thumbs up 03-18-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzle335
Currently in the market for inlets (and outlets) and have been eyeing the VRSF ones. Are you looking to offer stock and passenger side options? I've been running BMS products on my N54's since 2007-08 and have always been pleased, so if you stand behind it I'd definitely give it a strong consideration.
Same here. I'm in can't wait, I'm sure BMS will take time to evaluate the quality and deliver yet another great product to their lineup!
(#23)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 03-18-2018, 05:16 AM

these look really nice. get a set in hand and see how they fit.
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Will make a new thread once we've had a chance to test them out.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Default 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM

no inlet for n55? only pure turbo offer one, why