N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 335XI
Default Help With Hobb's Switch - 10-26-2017, 03:12 AM

Can Someone draw me a diagram or just walk me through "How to hook up, Hobb's switch to CP and Power and Pump?"

Too many mods, don't worry about it
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-26-2017, 10:44 AM

More info needed, i.e. for what purpose - meth? TBI? other?

try this for TBI - approach is similar for anything with hobbs switch, though. It simply completes the ground circuit when activated by pressure.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30559

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#3)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 11:09 AM

for PI

(#4)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-26-2017, 01:53 PM

I think most PI systems do not use a Hobb's switch for a reason ... too on/off in nature, and just doesn't afford the tunability you need to make PI work well.

Trust me, I have a Fuel-It TBI kit which uses a hobb's switch, and even that much smaller amount of fuel is difficult to tune with the on/off nature.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
(#5)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 01:59 PM

but how do I power up secondary pump and activate it when needed then ? All PI uses Hobb's switch. I don't quiet understand what you are trying to tell me here

(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

no, the fuel-it kit and the twisted tuning kits (not sure about if others are on the market) use PI controllers to control fuel delivery.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
(#7)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM

so how do you power the pump then ? with controller ?

(#8)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 10-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanerBeamer
so how do you power the pump then ? with controller ?
What kind of pump are we talking about? A bucketless kit? A stock upgrade a secondary pump? Tell us what lpfp you're running.

Guys he's talking about the lpfp if you have a secondary pump it's turned on and off via a Hobbs switch based on boost as a both pumps don't need to run at low boost as fuelling demand isn't that high.

The injectors are powered and controlled by a PI controller, while the secondary pump is powered/controlled by a Hobbs switch or a secondary Pump controller.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#9)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Thank you Lowon. Someone understands me. I've got bucketless right now. I need to do PI cuz meth is getting expensive. So I've got PI rail and I'm building pump. I am buying jb4 injector controller and I am buying harness and Hobb's Switch. So my next step is to add another lpfp (walbro 450) and upgrade the fuel line. I just don't know how to wire the Hobb's switch

(#10)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you Lowon. Someone understands me. I've got bucketless right now. I need to do PI cuz meth is getting expensive. So I've got PI rail and I'm building pump. I am buying jb4 injector controller and I am buying harness and Hobb's Switch. So my next step is to add another lpfp (walbro 450) and upgrade the fuel line. I just don't know how to wire the Hobb's switch
Im not going to be able to help you because I've never worked on an Email series car and don't know much about the n54 platform in general. If you buy a fuel-it pump you'll have all your work cut out for you as Steve will give you all the parts needed and instructions and guides to do the install.

Good luck.

(#11)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Since when paying 1.1k for a ****ing walbro is smart idea. Fuel-ti is rip off

(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM

If you can't DIY what choice do you have? Remember you're playing with the fuel system, if you don't know what you're doing you could have some major issues or loose an engine if fuel pressure were to drop.

(#13)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 10-26-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Since when paying 1.1k for a ****ing walbro is smart idea. Fuel-ti is rip off
The Fuel-It kit is complete with everything you need to do it right.. It's worth the price if you want reliability and simplicity..

if you go DIY then keep us updated and provide instructions from your experience...
(#14)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA55
The Fuel-It kit is complete with everything you need to do it right.. It's worth the price if you want reliability and simplicity..

if you go DIY then keep us updated and provide instructions from your experience...
+1
Btw, if you don't know how to wire a simple Hobbs switch it's going to be pretty challenging wiring the pump and setting it up diy.

A hobbs switch essentially is an on/off ground switch connecting to the pump ground side, and is boost activated. So when boost set point is reached the switch closes and a circuit is complete allowing the pump to turn on. Hobbs switch (on my experience with the F series n55, it should be the same on the E series n54 depends on what charge pipe you get though) is screwed into the meth bung on a charge pipe with a 1/8 npt bung from what i remember. Then two leads are attached to the Hobbs switch terminal one leading back to pump ground, one going to a ground source.

Last edited by Lowon; 10-26-2017 at 07:49 PM..
(#15)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-27-2017, 03:09 AM

You wire the second pump directly to the battery. Then you have the Hobbs switch inserted in the charge pipe or manifold to turn it on and off. You can use a meth bung or tap them. The circuit should include a 30A fuse as well. You adjust the Hobbs to come on at 15 psi or whatever boost level you choose. You have to plumb in the second pump of course.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Running port injection? With our controller you run the orange wire to the relay for the 2nd pump, no hobbs switch required!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#17)
Old

Default 10-28-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Running port injection? With our controller you run the orange wire to the relay for the 2nd pump, no hobbs switch required!
Thank you Terry. Problem solved. Hahaha I just thought that your controller doesn't control the pump for some reason. So just JB4 PI module, wire it into JB4, then run it to relay and relay into pump, pump to battery and to the relay(circuit closed) and that is it... am I correct ?