N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i coupe
Default pt6870 gen2 - 03-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Has anyone here ran one of these yet? I'm thinking about running one. Would like some insight from anyone who is familiar with this size turbo.

07 335i AT/CUSTOM 6870 GEN2 ST/VAC ENGINE AND STAGE 3 HEAD/FABFACTORY INTAKE W/PI/1000HP AD FMIC/EOS BILLET FUEL SETUP/BL COILS/DUAL OIL COOLERS/RB EXTERNAL PCV/PD TRANY W COOLER/M3 FRONT N REAR SUSPENSION W/ROUGE BEARINGS/HOTCHKIS ADJUSTABLE END LINKS/ADUSTABLE REAR TOE ARMS AND CAMBER LINKS/EIBACH SWAYBARS/BC RACING BR COILOVERS AND CAMBER PLATES/AKG REAR SUBFRAME, DIFF, REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS/POWER FLEX BUSHINGS/WAVETRAC REAR DIFF WITH DEFIV BRACE AND VAC COVER/4IN EXHAUST
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-22-2016, 02:03 PM

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...2-6870-Testing

Are you already maxing out your 6266??

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Oh ya, at around 3000rpm. My engine flows like no other n54. Its spooling too fast for the car. It just spins tires.

07 335i AT/CUSTOM 6870 GEN2 ST/VAC ENGINE AND STAGE 3 HEAD/FABFACTORY INTAKE W/PI/1000HP AD FMIC/EOS BILLET FUEL SETUP/BL COILS/DUAL OIL COOLERS/RB EXTERNAL PCV/PD TRANY W COOLER/M3 FRONT N REAR SUSPENSION W/ROUGE BEARINGS/HOTCHKIS ADJUSTABLE END LINKS/ADUSTABLE REAR TOE ARMS AND CAMBER LINKS/EIBACH SWAYBARS/BC RACING BR COILOVERS AND CAMBER PLATES/AKG REAR SUBFRAME, DIFF, REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS/POWER FLEX BUSHINGS/WAVETRAC REAR DIFF WITH DEFIV BRACE AND VAC COVER/4IN EXHAUST
(#4)
Old

Default 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM

I see you went with the .84ar, i intend on going with a 1.0ar. Are you still running that turbo?

(#5)
Old

Car: n54 335i
Default 03-22-2016, 02:27 PM

OT: FastGti69, did you dyno the car after fixing the boost leaks?
(#6)
Old

Car: 10/06 E92 335i
Default 03-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichale
Oh ya, at around 3000rpm. My engine flows like no other n54. Its spooling too fast for the car. It just spins tires.
So run less boost (or limit the boost by gear) or get better tires? You'll barely be able to even use a 6870 running an auto-trans anyway.

2008 E90 6MT sports package, VM 6466g2, BMS PI, Fuel-It Stage 3+, JB4+MHD
2009 E89 Z4 DCT, JB4, MHD flash, DCI
(#7)
Old

Default 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM

That's on map 1 552hp. I'd need a flintstone tire. The 6870 would spool well with my engine and give me better drivability.

(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I see you went with the .84ar, i intend on going with a 1.0ar. Are you still running that turbo?
Yes I still have this turbo. Any reason why you want to go with that AR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroneuman
OT: FastGti69, did you dyno the car after fixing the boost leaks?
Yes, I didn't really post about it though. Basically this turbo flows a great deal of air, so those boost leaks barely did anything. We noticed we had to adjust WGDC a lot lower cause the car was over boosting a lot. Here is the dyno after:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35069

Quote:
That's on map 1 552hp. I'd need a flintstone tire. The 6870 would spool well with my engine and give me better drivability.
I don't think you will to be perfectly honest. It is pretty lazy and I don't think it will be that different even with some head work. Your current turbo can make quite a bit of hp if you push it. In my honest opinion, I would not change it esp cause you're auto.

I'm running 17's and I don't have a problem with traction at 700whp in second gear. I also have a few customers on auto with basically the same setup. They don't get tire spin either with proper tires. I think that is what you should look into next.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 03-22-2016, 04:13 PM

Yes my current turbo makes good HP and i have a 1.15ar but its overworking and generating too much heat. See my set up is one of a kind. NO n54 flows like mine. NONE. Aside from having a fully built motor and stage 3 head, i have a custom intake manifold. And that manifold along with my head makes all the difference. So by going with this larger turbo and smaller divided ar housing, it should make power farther up the rpm band and gradually as compared to instantly like it is now. That extra "lag" should make my car more drivable. PM me ur email and I'll send you some logs and a dyno graph.

(#10)
Old

Car: n54 335
Default 03-22-2016, 04:39 PM

im having the same problem with the 6266, i spin tire every gear lol

751WHP 688WTQ
JP Works Kit Record
SOLD: E90 335i 751whp 688WTQ
CURRENT: E82 135i (under construction)
Visit my website VaderSolution.com !
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yes my current turbo makes good HP and i have a 1.15ar but its overworking and generating too much heat. See my set up is one of a kind. NO n54 flows like mine. NONE. Aside from having a fully built motor and stage 3 head, i have a custom intake manifold. And that manifold along with my head makes all the difference. So by going with this larger turbo and smaller divided ar housing, it should make power farther up the rpm band and gradually as compared to instantly like it is now. That extra "lag" should make my car more drivable. PM me ur email and I'll send you some logs and a dyno graph.
Sure, If you have a log from 4th gear at 2krpm or if you can get me one It would be great to see. PayamHarouni@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmarji
im having the same problem with the 6266, i spin tire every gear lol

An R Compound tire will do amazing things

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM

ok sent. And that was a 4th gear log in map 1. Now p.i wasnt triggering and thats why it was super lean and afr's were all over the place cause its not tuned yet but you can still get the idea.

(#13)
Old

Car: 06 STI
Default 03-24-2016, 06:47 AM

Have you considered the 6466. Seems like the ultimate turbo right now
(#14)
Old

Default 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes my current turbo makes good HP and i have a 1.15ar but its overworking and generating too much heat. See my set up is one of a kind. NO n54 flows like mine. NONE. .
I highly doubt it makes anywhere near as big of a difference as you're saying as you're still running stock cams. Show us a log. I'm betting you're probably not outspooling me by much and I'm running a stock motor with a larger turbo than you. I can hit 17psi at 3300rpms in 3rd gear, about 3000rpms in 4th gear. I'm not having a massive traction issue either and I know plenty of others who have similar setups with no problems because they get the right tires and dial back the boost levels a bit in the lower rpms. Note that this is not the same effect as just strapping on a bigger turbo, not even remotely close.

My 6466 spools pretty quick but I can only burn the tires if I'm really trying in 2nd at 18-20psi, but if I had an LSD or R888s it'd not be a problem. I run 315/30 BFG Rival S auto-x tires. I can dial back how much boost I run in 2nd or run a custom map that controls the boost levels I see at each rpm if I want. Way easier and better than putting on a laggy turbo that I'll never use. Payam is different as he's pushing the envelope of the platform in his car.

The way you're going about it sounds really confusing and wasteful to me.

(#15)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 03-24-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing
Have you considered the 6466. Seems like the ultimate turbo right now
this
(#16)
Old

Default 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyg
this
It's just the fact that it's spools pretty damn fast and has awesome top-end potential. If you can combine that Turbo with a fully built motor, That's What I Call game over

Last edited by idratherbesurfing; 03-25-2016 at 12:58 PM..
(#17)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM

If you're already spinning tires in map 1 just get a better tire. For straight line performance get some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials (275/40R17). Best grip I've felt so far. They hold my car to the ground at 31psi on a 6466. I've always heard that you want the smallest turbo for your power goals so unless you're trying to have a 1000+whp car I don't see the point in having the additional lag.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#18)
Old

Default 04-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Why did this thread go dead. Any news?
(#19)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 04-08-2016, 05:53 AM

Switching to a laggier turbo to fix traction issues is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Lower your boost targets in that gear in the 3k - 4k rpm range, or get a better tire.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#20)
Old

Default 04-08-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
Switching to a laggier turbo to fix traction issues is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Lower your boost targets in that gear in the 3k - 4k rpm range, or get a better tire.
Yea I would've assumed someone talked him out of that idea with the shop he deals with. But I still want to know lol
(#21)
Old

Default 04-08-2016, 07:10 AM

Actually the shop i deal with suggested i look into that turbo. I sure as hell wouldn't consider a larger more powerful turbo because of traction issues. I'm currently running 285/40/18 NTO5R rears. Don't think i could get much bigger or better tire on the car.

(#22)
Old

Default 04-08-2016, 07:32 AM

After tuning is complete and many more logs and dyno runs made, i will post results. Then we are flow benching stock manifold compared to my manifold to show why my N54 engine out flows any other seen. And that's why the 6870G2 was suggested.

(#23)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-08-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
After tuning is complete and many more logs and dyno runs made, i will post results. Then we are flow benching stock manifold compared to my manifold to show why my N54 engine out flows any other seen. And that's why the 6870G2 was suggested.
pics of manifold? are the ports larger on both the head and manifold with velocity stacks? Without those I can't see much of a gain being made...

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#24)
Old

Default 04-08-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
ah i misuderstood.

AD engineering is releasing a small rear brake kit for our car so we can fit a smaller wheel diameter on it! you might want to look into that especially if you go 6870
(#25)
Old

Default 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
You mean flow 'potential'. The platform record is ~860whp, You're not flowing that much air