N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#176)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ
I got a perfect example of a before and after log to show what you can't do with D to correct excessive overshoots
I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion but I've been waiting for an explanation here I can make sense of. By all means lay it on me.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#177)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spxxx
you NEED to tell customers that they have to have an external monitor for boost
Monitoring boost externally is great if you're looking at it. But PID systems run at say 50-500hz. That means they are checking boost at a minimum 50 times per second every second the engine is running and reacting if boost starts to go over target. Glancing down at a gauge every now and again is not going to cut it, lol.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#178)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I've run both your e60 tune, my own e60 tune standalone... both hit around 205 actual load and also several hundred backend flashes with the jb4, of course your e60 map felt the strongest but my log also pins at 21.2psi where mine hits around 20.5psi. I really want you guys to be successful but you NEED to tell customers that they have to have an external monitor for boost or run a jb4 passively with an n20 sensor because your competitors will always use that against you. I love both solutions and yeah, there seems to be more torque with your e60 map but I also don't know what kind of boost I'm running... I run both now and it's cool having options but I'm still not 100% sold on standalone flash only tuning. Love the innovation on a 10yr old engine
You have a N20 TMAP sensor right ? Then most of the time I leave a 1 PSI head room with throttle closure to activate when you get too close to the max "Absolute Boost Pressure".

What concerning is your saying the boost "pins" 21.2 or do you mean is peaks it ? If its a concern shoot me an email so I can trim it off to 20 PSI instead and it will still make more power regardless. You wont feel a thing different.

BTW the DME looks technically at Absolute Boost Pressure since atmospheric pressure differs per geograph. So max actual boost PSI can be 19.7
- 21.8 depending on where you live. Thats why I alway have you guys log boost means abs.

Btw, capture a log with the JB4 for me I would like to look at it in comparison with the MHD logs

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#179)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You have a N20 TMAP sensor right ? Then most of the time I leave a 1 PSI head room with throttle closure to activate when you get too close to the max "Absolute Boost Pressure".

What concerning is your saying the boost "pins" 21.2 or do you mean is peaks it ? If its a concern shoot me an email so I can trim it off to 20 PSI instead and it will still make more power regardless. You wont feel a thing different.

BTW the DME looks technically at Absolute Boost Pressure since atmospheric pressure differs per geograph. So max actual boost PSI can be 19.7
- 21.8 depending on where you live. Thats why I alway have you guys log boost means abs.

Btw, capture a log with the JB4 for me I would like to look at it in comparison with the MHD logs
Nope, I have a stock map sensor installed. I ran a map from Ken/You and it was very strong but the map hit the maximum Boost ABS / Boost as it was pinned flat from around 3700-5200 RPM... it wasn't a quick bump up to 21.2psi (that wouldn't concern me as my own maps occasionally hit the map sensor limit for a brief moment <100rpm)

I need to install my n20 sensor and use the jb4 to log and see what kind of boost that map ran. I will admit, your maps are very strong/torquey and as much as I love jb4 for 2nd gear boost control and other things I'm open to running a flash only map in passive mode if it's hitting a maximum of 20.5 or so psi and leaving me a "little" room before the sensor limit. Email me at spencerakimball@gmail.com I'd like to chat with you.

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#180)
Old

Default 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Nope, I have a stock map sensor installed. I ran a map from Ken/You and it was very strong but the map hit the maximum Boost ABS / Boost as it was pinned flat from around 3700-5200 RPM... it wasn't a quick bump up to 21.2psi (that wouldn't concern me as my own maps occasionally hit the map sensor limit for a brief moment <100rpm)

I need to install my n20 sensor and use the jb4 to log and see what kind of boost that map ran. I will admit, your maps are very strong/torquey and as much as I love jb4 for 2nd gear boost control and other things I'm open to running a flash only map in passive mode if it's hitting a maximum of 20.5 or so psi and leaving me a "little" room before the sensor limit. Email me at spencerakimball@gmail.com I'd like to chat with you.
Yea I dont even see your email in the list of customers I deal directly with. Email sent.......

2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#181)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 04-05-2015, 08:33 PM

so is that projected "next week" open beta release date this week, or the week of the 12th?
(#182)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It's no accident BMW programmed the boost cap at 1.28 bar. I'd stay close to that for the OEM TMAP sensor and maybe 1.40 bar for the N20 via flash only. Those values will ensure you have adequate range in the PID system under various ambient conditions.

Burger Motorsports

(#183)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It's no accident BMW programmed the boost cap at 1.28 bar. I'd stay close to that for the OEM TMAP sensor and maybe 1.40 bar for the N20 via flash only. Those values will ensure you have adequate range in the PID system under various ambient conditions.
Yea agreed, however they didnt tune these cars for a specific location knowing what baro would be or what weather condition maybe. Some places dont even see -DA weather.

The BMW PID and boost ceiling calibrations were set for what would be a reasonable range for world wide conditions even the fuel.

Custom tuning for specific locations under baro and -/+ DA conditions is to take advantage of the potential power available in a flash only invironment based on fueling and mods rather than being muzzled by a universal law

2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT

Last edited by BuraQ; 04-06-2015 at 09:35 AM..
(#184)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 04-06-2015, 10:31 AM

I'm sorry, but tuning the WGDC table is not just the "subaru" way of boost tuning, it is the CORRECT way of boost tuning. Look at any other platform, Evo's, GTR's, Supra's, etc etc. If you want to run more boost, you ultimately need more WGDC %.

I'm not sure why you would ever want to use the PID influence to raise effective WGDC % on top of a completely incorrect base % for a given boost level, when you can just set that in the base table to begin with (minus a few % obviously, to allow PID to do its intended job in accurately reaching setpoint w/o overshoot).

For a simple example, consider a boost WGA, w/ 10psi spring, and a 3-port solenoid. Assume for simplicity sake 10psi = 100 load, 20psi = 200 load. You want to tune the car to 20psi, and make your requested load table 200 across the board So then, two tuning approaches:

Yours: Leave WGDC alone and adjust the PID tables. The WGDC base table is incorrect for this 20psi boost level, and the stock PID values will not hit 20psi with this setup efficiently or nicely, so you tune PID to achieve your desired boost curve. Fine, it works. But it's not ideal as the base WGDC is way off, PID is forced to add / subtract large amounts to get the effective WGDC to where it needs to be for the desired load / boost.

Other: Turn PID influence off completely to start. Tune base WGDC table to give a close approximation of the desired boost curve, albeit "slightly" shy of the 20psi target (intentional). Finally, then tune PID tables and use it to hit that target and prevent overshoot and oscillation. You can see here that PID has much less work to do, as the base is already very close. Therefore, you can even rescale the PID tables' error axis to give yourself much finer / tighter resolution (as the large error margins are no longer required).

/tl;dr: Why make PID do more work than it has to?

edit:
Quote:
This is a traditional way of tuning but has some serious side affects and does not sit well with the N54's close loop system.
Also, this is bull****. There are no ill side effects if performed as I stated above. Also, table axis should always accurately reflect min & max values as best and close as possible. Use the MAF axis as example, with a single turbo, your WGDC % to hit say 20psi would be way different at 333g/s vs. 500-600g/s

Last edited by jyamona; 04-06-2015 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: added quote
(#185)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona

Also, this is bull****. There are no ill side effects if performed as I stated above. Also, table axis should always accurately reflect min & max values as best and close as possible. Use the MAF axis as example, with a single turbo, your WGDC % to hit say 20psi would be way different at 333g/s vs. 500-600g/s
Post a log of gears 3-5 of WOT with:
  • timing,
  • actual load,
  • load request,
  • actual boost,
  • boost means
  • and boost request.

of a flash only tune with the method of tuning you mentioned and I will be more than glad to match it in ROM, fuel and mods for comparison, and then point out whats wrong with it.

Im not interested in talking smart, Im interesting in talking results

Quote:

I'm not sure why you would ever want to use the PID influence to raise effective WGDC % on top of a completely incorrect base % for a given boost level, when you can just set that in the base table to begin with (minus a few % obviously, to allow PID to do its intended job in accurately reaching setpoint w/o overshoot).
Well of course you wouldnt know why if you never tuned PIDs on this platform much less if you even know how to do it and keep the system stable.

Also, who, what, and where said that rescaling the wgdc tables to match maf was a "correct" way ? Because the other guys do it on other platforms ? Sounds like monkey see monkey do

Rescaling maf in wgdc tables is an optional and easier way of controlling boost if it works best and thats what you know.

Good thing we had people who could think for themselves, and contemplated outside of the box or else we wouldnt have come this far in technology.

..anyhow, back to the subject....logs ?

2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT

Last edited by BuraQ; 04-06-2015 at 11:42 AM..
(#186)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Sigh... the text of mine you highlighted red above takes what I said out of context, and must be read in it's completion (whole sentence) in order for my full point to be made, so you may want to adjust that, thanks

You 100% must use PID influence, as I made sure to state in my "Other" approach in my first post. However, it is better to use PID on top of a correct "base WGDC %" table for a given boost you are trying to run. The less PID intervention needed, the better. So, you tune your base WGDC table first, then tune the PID tables after that.

Again, a simple example...say 50% WGDC is needed to hit desired 20psi. Why make the PID system start w/ a "useless / unchanged" base WGDC value of say 3% and cycle many times to get to the final %, vs. just starting with much closer value of 47-48% in the base table and reducing the work PID needs to do?

Finally, re-quoting what I said above as you somehow managed to read it the wrong way as well: "Also, table axis should always accurately reflect min & max values as best and close as possible." READ, as in: ALL TABLES. The MAF axis was just an example, because it ties back to wanting your base WGDC close to where it should be. Also, I did not use the word rescale. Sadly that is the only current option, but in a perfect world, the axis length would just be expandable as needed. This will be possible as Martial and I make further progress w/ the assembly, but that's a story for another day.

The DME should always have as accurate of lookup data (tables) as possible. Reason being? There are literally over 700 unreleased tables in there, all intertwined. You have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes. Just because you "thought outside the box" and got something to work does not make it correct. It's like saying, "oh hey! Lets just chop the Fuel table X-axis at 140 load to give ourselves more resolution down low in cruise. We don't need 140+ load because we have fuel trims that will fill in the extra % needed!" That's basically what you are doing with PID on boost.

edit:

This is getting off topic now, and do not want to derail this thread, as it should be devoted to MHD. I'll gladly discuss what I'm saying here further with you and Ken, just elsewhere.

Last edited by jyamona; 04-06-2015 at 12:26 PM..
(#187)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Sigh...

This is getting off topic now, and do not want to derail this thread, as it should be devoted to MHD. I'll gladly discuss what I'm saying here further with you and Ken, just elsewhere.
You can start another thread.....but first....if you do....

Lets cut the chase, post logs. Preaching about it doesnt do it any justice, produce the results and illustration and I will accompany it

I already know how to tune the method your talking about, been down that alley long time ago, Ken also has to, and we abandoned that methodological approach for controlling boost in the mid-high end using wgdc

2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#188)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 04-06-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu
so is that projected "next week" open beta release date this week, or the week of the 12th?
This week.
(#189)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Looking forward to testing this!

(#190)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Why make PID do more work than it has to?
You can't have a functional PID if the boost sensor can't read much above your set point!

Burger Motorsports

(#191)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You can start another thread.....but first....if you do....

Lets cut the chase, post logs. Preaching about it doesnt do it any justice, produce the results and illustration and I will accompany it

I already know how to tune the method your talking about, been down that alley long time ago, Ken also has to, and we abandoned that methodological approach for controlling boost in the mid-high end using wgdc
Weren't you going to post logs showing how you're using D to control boost when it exceeds the sensor range?

I think the reality here is that you really don't understand what you're doing. You may be doing it, and may be looking at the end result and based on that finding it functional to your needs, but you don't really understand it. If you did you'd explain it simply in a few sentences without the various distractions from the subject you and Ken quickly deploy when questioned.

Burger Motorsports

(#192)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser
Looking forward to testing this!
Same here, but the lack of logs or data on this is starting to get ridiculous. I don't understand why this beta is taking so long to open...I thought the whole point to having beta testers was so that logs and feedback would help move things forward. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would gladly try things out and actually post their logs....

~JB4 G5 iso~BMS E85 Backend Flash~VTT Inlets~BMS DCI~BMS Low Temp Thermostat~BMS OCC~BMS Modified Clutch Valve~BMS Clutch Stop~335is Clutch~ER Competition FMIC Kit w/ HKS SSQV~3"AR **'s~3" Custom exhaust~RB PCV Valve~SteveAZ Stage 2 Bucket~Avant Garde M359 18x8.5 +35 18x9.5 +33~
(#193)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-06-2015, 02:49 PM

well if the MHD beta program allowed the use of JB4 logs things would be much easier.
(#194)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Weren't you going to post logs showing how you're using D to control boost when it exceeds the sensor range?

I think the reality here is that you really don't understand what you're doing. You may be doing it, and may be looking at the end result and based on that finding it functional to your needs, but you don't really understand it. If you did you'd explain it simply in a few sentences without the various distractions from the subject you and Ken quickly deploy when questioned.
I think the reality here is you need to stop making assumptions cause you dont find something theoretically conceivable. Its been your mantra campaign strategy lately

Here , I even rendered it in 1080p just in case you dont see well, was goign to add Dont Worry Be Happy to it but got lazy and just added the smile It even includes active trottle closure safety

2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#195)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM

What am I supposed to be seeing there? I can't see set point, or duty cycle. Can't see P, I, or D values. It doesn't even appear set point is set anywhere near the TMAP sensor range in this?!?

Just provide a link to the CSV and a few talking points on what I should be seeing.

Burger Motorsports

(#196)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk54
well if the MHD beta program allowed the use of JB4 logs things would be much easier.
Good news:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29285

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: complete part out - let me know of any parts you need:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55650
(#197)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 04:54 PM

I started this thread because I wanted to help get the word out about a great addition to the n54 tuning world and make it for people to share community maps... I want to know, of the beta testers... Who's running their own custom built bins vs the OTS / "pro-tuned" maps from MHD custom tuners? It's pretty easy to port changes from Cobb to TP so I'm sure there's quite a few of us running solid custom maps

(#198)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 04-06-2015, 07:00 PM

im running a map terry sent me for ijeos e85 6mt. seems good but the old backend flash through my bt cable and interface 28.5 felt stronger and from logging hit and requested higher boost targets in both map 7 and map 6 60 and 65 add. no custom tuning for me yet
(#199)
Old

Default 04-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802
im running a map terry sent me for ijeos e85 6mt. seems good but the old backend flash through my bt cable and interface 28.5 felt stronger and from logging hit and requested higher boost targets in both map 7 and map 6 60 and 65 add. no custom tuning for me yet
Cool, so you're running it stacked with the Jb? I went back to running mhd stacked with JB4 until my n20 sensor comes in + inlets.

I'm more interested in seeing what people are doing on the standalone front, although I know everyone is super secretive with their maps these days

(#200)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-06-2015, 07:20 PM

Most of the people on this forum, in this thread, will be testing the MHD maps we've created for use with the JB4. You may have better luck on e90post or bimmerboost discussing details of flash only maps.

Burger Motorsports