N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default Jb4 G5 Harness Diy - 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Details to supplement the G5 sticky http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15904

PART 1: IS YOUR HARNESS READY FOR THE G5 BOARD?

JB4 harnesses older than 2010 may need to have the green or purple wires swapped.

Name:  DB25.jpg
Views: 24744
Size:  123.1 KB
FIG.1

Name:  DIY full harness.jpg
Views: 25471
Size:  97.5 KB
FIG.2

DB25 Wires 22 & 23 Fig. 1 (green & purple respectively on my harness) MUST go to the FEMALE white sub-connector. Do a continuity check w/ multi-meter to confirm. If they do, you can install the G5!

If the 22 wire (green) goes to the MALE side of the white sub-connector, it MUST BE SWAPPED with the like colored 10 wire (green) that it is paired with.

If the 23 wire (purple) goes to goes to the MALE side of the white sub-connector, it MUST BE SWAPPED with the like colored 11 wire (purple) that it is paired with.

To Swap wires, remove the DB25 cover. The pins can be removed from the DB25 using a D-Sub Pin Extraction Tool. I didnít need one, donít know how to use one, but hereís a link: Good Luck! http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102600

PART 2: ADDING SLD WIRES FROM BMS USB CABLE TO HARNESS

Parts needed:
BMS USB Cable
G5 SLD wires (2 total)
Name:  DIY USB.jpg
Views: 24133
Size:  32.1 KB
FIG.3

2a. Connecting wires to the BMS USB Cable
Remove DB9 cover - Note that only 3 pins are in the BMS USB Cable normally. The SLD wires being added are generally green color.

Insert small pins from the wire set into DB9 positions:
Position 2: SLD Green w/ female end
Position 6: SLD Green w/ male end

FIG.4

Now button up the DB9 cover with the new wires.

Name:  DIY DB9 n wires.jpg
Views: 24124
Size:  101.7 KB
FIG.5

2b. Connecting wires to the JB4 Harness
Find #17 on the FEMALE side of the gray sub-connector. Remove this wire completely by releasing it from both female & male ends of the gray sub-connector.
Plug the SLD (Green) female end into gray connector position #17 on the female side.
Plug the SLD (Green) male end into the gray connector on the male side
Name:  DIY gray sub.jpg
Views: 24599
Size:  119.1 KB

JB3->JB4 Harness Upgrade Directions & JB4 PinOut wiring locations:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...82&postcount=1

G4->G5 Wasteagate Input Signal Codes:

The G5 plugs in to the same JB4 harness, although those using older harnesses may need to swap around wires on the DB25. Previously DB25 positions 10 and 22, and 11 and 23 were interchangeable. Now, the female connectors of each pair must be on 22 and 23 or you will get a wastegate fault. We don't have notes on when we started orienting them in the current proper configuration but we think it was around 2010. Harnesses that don't have a white connector, or that have an old 3 port expansion connector, will definitely need to be checked with a multimeter and those pins moved around in the DB25 using a DSUB tool as needed.

DB9 slots for extra wires are as follows:
2: SLD Output (female), connects to gray connector position #17 as read from the female side.
6: SLD Input (male), goes in male end of gray position #17 as read from the female side.
7: 2STEP / Relay input / ground, relay intercepts green power connector position #8.
8: Clutch input for NLS, connects to jumper wire installed in gray subconnector position #18 as read from the female side.
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Default 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Thank you so much!
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

I had a boost leak, followed your tutorial....now this, I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for all the dedication and time you put in helping others. Awesome tutorial and very easy to follow tutoria, I have been wanting to do this for a month and now I can.

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#4)
Old

Default 08-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Thank you so much!
Glad to help!
(#5)
Old

Default 08-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
I had a boost leak, followed your tutorial....now this, I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for all the dedication and time you put in helping others. Awesome tutorial and very easy to follow tutoria, I have been wanting to do this for a month and now I can.
Thanks, I think it's good for hands-on guys that are electronics dumb-asses like me.
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 08-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom
Thanks, I think it's good for hands-on guys that are electronics dumb-asses like me.
Evidentally you are NOT the dumbass...I am the one waiting a month for picture instructions lol!!

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Default 08-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Vroom, question....is the connector marked "17" or did you count to get it? If you counted from where lol!! This was the part that had me so confused.

(#8)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Great Write-Up! Now if I can just get my hands on a G5!

JB4 G5 - BMS DCI - FORGE DV's - ER Chargepipe - BMS OCC - PLM 3" ********* **'s - CPe FMIC - CM Trunk Meth Kit (2.2 gal, CM12) - H&R springs - Koni Yellows - Magnaflow Race Mufflers - Dimisa 4" Tips - Avant Garde M359 - M3 rep front bumper - BMS Angel Eyes - CF M3 Performance Spoiler
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Looks good! Thanks for writing it up. And remember the CPS wires are generally only needed for non-meth large turbo cars. So many of you won't even need to bother installing them.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 08-05-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Looks good! Thanks for writing it up. And remember the CPS wires are generally only needed for non-meth large turbo cars. So many of you won't even need to bother installing them.
Installing the CPS wires won't limit anything will it Terry?? I run mostly map 3 but put the CPS wires in anyway.

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless **'s / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet
Installing the CPS wires won't limit anything will it Terry?? I run mostly map 3 but put the CPS wires in anyway.
Yes, it can cause complications in some cars. So, only install them, if you need them.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
Vroom, question....is the connector marked "17" or did you count to get it? If you counted from where lol!! This was the part that had me so confused.
I circled the numbers (14, 26) in red that are molded into the connector at each end.

So I counted from 14 to 17. Yeah, I had to take off my socks & shoes.

Last edited by Vroom; 08-05-2012 at 09:33 AM..
(#13)
Old

Default 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, it can cause complications in some cars. So, only install them, if you need them.
Like random wierd stuff?
(#14)
Old
Demigod

Default 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I circled the numbers (14, 26) in red that are molded into the connector at each end.

So I counted from 14 to 17. Yeah, I had to take off my socks & shoes.
I feel like a dumbass lol!!

(#15)
Old

Default 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ70SS
Great Write-Up! Now if I can just get my hands on a G5!
Thanks.

Email T to get a link for a G5 purchase.
(#16)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Email T to get a link for a G5 purchase.
Thanks, it's on order. Can't wait!

JB4 G5 - BMS DCI - FORGE DV's - ER Chargepipe - BMS OCC - PLM 3" ********* **'s - CPe FMIC - CM Trunk Meth Kit (2.2 gal, CM12) - H&R springs - Koni Yellows - Magnaflow Race Mufflers - Dimisa 4" Tips - Avant Garde M359 - M3 rep front bumper - BMS Angel Eyes - CF M3 Performance Spoiler
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Like random wierd stuff?
I had one customer report VANOS codes, another got some sort of camshaft input code and an odd stutter at times. All random, odd, hard to recreate, isolated to those cars, type things.

Any sensor that doesn't need to be captured and retransmitted probably shouldn't be. So in this case if you are not going to need it best practice would be not to connect it.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 08-06-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I had one customer report VANOS codes, another got some sort of camshaft input code and an odd stutter at times. All random, odd, hard to recreate, isolated to those cars, type things.

Any sensor that doesn't need to be captured and retransmitted probably shouldn't be. So in this case if you are not going to need it best practice would be not to connect it.
This might explain what happened just 1 time.
DTC light was on, turned off & then back on 5 minutes later.
Idle surges

Time to send the 29 jumper wire back home.
(#19)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM

So the SLD installs into the USB cable (DB9 side), and then into the JB4 harness (Grey sub-connector?

Just confused as how that enables SLD to work since Its connecting to the USB side of the JB4.
(#20)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
So the SLD installs into the USB cable (DB9 side), and then into the JB4 harness (Grey sub-connector?

Just confused as how that enables SLD to work since Its connecting to the USB side of the JB4.
but the USB connector goings into one of the I/O in the board when plugged in

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#21)
Old

Default 09-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko

Don't try to figure it out, T uses FM Technology. (Fn Magic)
(#22)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
but the USB connector goings into one of the I/O in the board when plugged in
Yea, i thought it was only for USB connection, and the other side was tuning wise and effects tuning. But i guess this side does aswell.

Quote:
Don't try to figure it out, T uses FM Technology. (Fn Magic)

haha.. I wont ask, i will just do when i get it this week.. Thanks for the write up.. Def makes installing the SLD, and checking my harness G5 ready!

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#23)
Old

Car: 07 335
Default 10-21-2012, 06:52 AM

So I am in the "process" of doing this...

I checked my harness, it has the white connector and I have continuity between the 22,23 going to the correct side. So I figured my harness was good to go. Hooked up the G5 with CPS and SLD. Car was crazy. No steering wheel controls either, no connection to my laptop. Took it apart many times and pulled off the SLD and CPS, reconnected all, and still no steering wheel controls.

I decided I'd throw the G4 back in, and lo and behold it all works right again.

Am I missing something with the harness?? Anyone have this happen?
(#24)
Old

Car: '09 E92
Default 12-30-2012, 02:41 PM

I have an old JB3 harness that was modified for use with the JB4. I have not tested the wires yet, but am assuming they will have to be swapped around to use the G5 board. If this is the case, how do you go about doing that?
(#25)
Old

Car: '09 E92
Default 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92
I have an old JB3 harness that was modified for use with the JB4. I have not tested the wires yet, but am assuming they will have to be swapped around to use the G5 board. If this is the case, how do you go about doing that?
Nevermind. I'm an idiot.