N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Convertible
Default DIY Boost Leak Testing - 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM

I recently installed an intercooler and pressure tested the system so I took some pics of my setup. I'm using the Pure Stage 2 High Flow Inlet, but this setup would work on a stock setup as well. Here is a pic of the tester. I bought the blue silicone hose from amazon here:

Amazon.com: Upgr8 Universal 4-Ply High Performance 45 Degree Elbow Coupler Silicone Hose (1.25(32MM), Blue): Automotive

I tried a couple different sized before finding this one. It's a pretty tight fit to the Pure inlet which was better than the next size up. I made it by shoving a PVC cap on the end and clamping it down. It does have PVC cement on it, but that is not needed. This was just the right size cap that was in my junk pile, so the glue was already on it. I did sand the little nubs on the side of the cap to make sure that it was smooth. I then drilled and tapped it for 1/8 NPT and added the hose barb. The small hose is vacuum line. The tee with the air connection and pressure gauge was stuff that can be found at home depot. You don't really need the valve, it's on there from another project.

To connect it, I remove the intake down to the inlet pipe. I also remove the rubber grommet that slides over the top of the inlet pipe. I attach my tester to the inlet and clamp it down. For this setup it's a tight fit. I ALSO remove the oil filler cap to allow any crankcase pressure to release. This way it doesn't go out through any seals. I put the dirty towel above the opening to keep anything from falling in.

Then I connect my super old air compressor that was handed down to me to the end of it and pressurize up to 25psi. (I target 21-24psi) When I did it this time, I shut the compressor off at 10, 15, 20 and then 25 and listened for leaks. If it's a large leak, you won't be able to pressurize past a certain point and when you turn the compressor off, the pressure will drop pretty quickly and it may even sound like a goose. I usually stop the compressor and wait like 3-5 seconds. If no pressure drop (or very slight) than I fire it back up to the next level. If it holds (slight drop is ok) at 25psi for 5 secs, than I'll disconnect the air hose and de-pressurize. All done!

2011 335i - JB4 ISO | MHD E85 PI BEF | Exhaust Mods | CP | 5" stepped FMIC | BMS Meth Injection | BMS Intake | Pure Stage 2 | Pure Inlet | FF wires | Fuel It Stage 2 | DV+ | N20 TMAP | Ethanol mix