N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW X1 28i xDrive
Default N20 JB4 changing to Map 0 - 05-31-2018, 04:36 PM

I have a 2014 X1 28i xDrive with a stock (other than the JB4) EWG 2.0L N20.

I am running into issues with the car changing back to Map 0

I didn't get a failure on the way home today, but I did capture a couple of logs. I saw where you are supposed to used 3rd gear to run from ~2K-7K RPM. Not sure what gear to use with an automatic, but I used 3rd since anything higher wouldn't have worked while driving home in minor traffic!

Please let me know if you see anything here that might be driving this issue. I used the the default settings in the N20 thread, but don't know if there might be things specific to the X1 as it is a unique configuration of the JB4.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-31 16_18_47.csv (13.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-31 16_23_02.csv (12.9 KB, 42 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-31-2018, 09:22 PM

Both of the logs show map 1, I don't ever see them reverting into map 0. I do see some irregularities with the logs, not sure why DME BT requests 0 boost randomly during the pull. AFR dips at the same time.

IIRC, you have two canbus wires that you twist? Make sure the connectivity is good on those and are clean.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 05:03 AM

I didn't want to, as I want to keep it a little easier to be able to remove, but I may just go ahead and solder the connections.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot
I didn't want to, as I want to keep it a little easier to be able to remove, but I may just go ahead and solder the connections.
No need to soldier, just clean the tips with some isopropyl alcohol and retwist them back up.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Caught two logs on my way home today with changing to map 0.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-06-01 15_35_37.csv (232.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: csv 2018-06-01 15_44_49.csv (473.4 KB, 33 views)
(#6)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Got the same basic error message. It was just (132) instead of (97), at least the second time. I didn't capture what it was the first time.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM

I know I did a good job cleaning up the wires before doing my connections (my background is an electrical engineer who was once a repair tech), but my plan is to tear everything apart and redo these this weekend.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM

I'd guess the issue here is with the JB4 mobile device or phone. If you unplug the JB4 Mobile all together, and use only the in dash controls, do any issues come up on map1?

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 06-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I'd guess the issue here is with the JB4 mobile device or phone. If you unplug the JB4 Mobile all together, and use only the in dash controls, do any issues come up on map1?
I haven't tried that yet.

I'm pretty sure that I saw for the X1 that I use the volume down (-) and channel down arrow on the steering where to get into the dash controls. Is that correct?

Last edited by bucketfoot; 06-02-2018 at 04:57 PM..
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried that yet.

I'm pretty sure that I saw for the X1 that I use the volume down (-) and channel down arrow on the steering where to get into the dash controls. Is that correct?
That should work to get into the menu settings, you can try and check to see if you're in map 1.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Have been driving the last couple of days with the app turned off and only check the map when I start the car and right before I turn it off and have not seen it change yet.

So hopefully that was the issue. Kind of sucks that I may not be able to run the app while driving, but then there really isn't anything that important I need to have it constantly running for.

I played with the steering wheel controls as well, but even with the radio turned off it seems to screw with the volume and channel when I use these.
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Have been driving the last couple of days with the app turned off and only check the map when I start the car and right before I turn it off and have not seen it change yet.

So hopefully that was the issue. Kind of sucks that I may not be able to run the app while driving, but then there really isn't anything that important I need to have it constantly running for.

I played with the steering wheel controls as well, but even with the radio turned off it seems to screw with the volume and channel when I use these.
What is being screwed with the volume and channel button when you're in the JB4 menu mode?

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
What is being screwed with the volume and channel button when you're in the JB4 menu mode?
I mostly use either satellite radio or my phone.

In this case I'd left the car on a satellite channel. Before going into JB4 menu mode I turned off the stereo by pushing the On/Off/Volume control.

I then proceeded to change maps back & forth and stepped through various menus and exited. When I started up the car and turned the radio back on the channel had changed (to one I do not have a preset for) and the volume level was way different than how I had left it.
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I mostly use either satellite radio or my phone.

In this case I'd left the car on a satellite channel. Before going into JB4 menu mode I turned off the stereo by pushing the On/Off/Volume control.

I then proceeded to change maps back & forth and stepped through various menus and exited. When I started up the car and turned the radio back on the channel had changed (to one I do not have a preset for) and the volume level was way different than how I had left it.
Yes that is normal, it will still go through your radio when going through menus.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: 2013 Z4 20i
Default 01-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Hi bucketfoot,

Good to hear that your X1 N20 EWG works with JB4.

We had a similar issue here. Can't really gett the JB4 work with Z4 N20 EWG as there's no addtional boost v.s. stock in map1,2 or 5.

The X1_Z4 firemware has been loaded. Soleniod connector wan't connected as it's EWG.

Could you please share your JB4 default settings? My understanding is that Z1_Z4 firmware has default settings for PWG which need to be adjusted for EWG.

Thanks!
(#16)
Old

Default 01-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Here are screen shots of the settings I've been using.
Attached Images

(#17)
Old

Car: 2013 Z4 20i
Default 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Hi bucketfoot,

Thanks for the post.

We tried this on a Z4 N20B20A 20i EWG but it had only stock boost.

Then we updated the TMAP setting to 1 and it got too much boost as 25PSI which triggered the JB4 safe fail functiont to MAP4. So we modified PID=6 to make it under 22PSI.

Now it works great at MAP1 ~22PSI v.s. the 10PSI stock boost.

Maybe you can try to change TMAP=1,PID=6 for a log. You should notice the performance gain.

Quote:
Here are screen shots of the settings I've been using.
Attached Images