N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335I 2007
Default OEM DMFW how much can it handle - 10-22-2017, 07:57 AM

How much power/torque at higher RPM's can the OEM DMFW handle before it starts giving misfires?
Got full bolt on with inlets and custom stock frame turbo's (local shop) stage 1ish...
so rougly how much Psi ?

thx
(#2)
Old

Car: Bmw Z4 E89 35i
Default 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odan.be
How much power/torque at higher RPM's can the OEM DMFW handle before it starts giving misfires?
Got full bolt on with inlets and custom stock frame turbo's (local shop) stage 1ish...
so rougly how much Psi ?

thx
I don't think that you will have problem on any psi with stock turbos, because these turbos start to dying at high rpms..
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 11-03-2017, 01:03 PM

For me misfires were not an issue, however, I did have a bit of slipping at around 80k miles with brand new stockers on E85 BEF with E50 and Map 7. Replaced with a new DMFW and 550i clutch and no slipping.
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 11-07-2017, 06:50 AM

I think you'll only encounter flywheel issues with big singles and stage 2 hybrids.
The guys who had the timing flatline drop all seemed to be around that level of power.

I have some misfires in cylinder 5 and 6 at 26 psi on GC Turbos with port meth injection. Trapping qtr mile around 128mph with the misfire. If that power level makes sense

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sport
Default 11-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
For me misfires were not an issue, however, I did have a bit of slipping at around 80k miles with brand new stockers on E85 BEF with E50 and Map 7. Replaced with a new DMFW and 550i clutch and no slipping.
That makes 2 of us. FBO, inlets, meth, stock snails

2007 335xi E90 6MT, Sport Suspension, Cobb, AR *********, MMP Inlets, 335is clutch, DCI, CDV delete, ETS FMIC
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sport
Default 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
I think you'll only encounter flywheel issues with big singles and stage 2 hybrids.
The guys who had the timing flatline drop all seemed to be around that level of power.

I have some misfires in cylinder 5 and 6 at 26 psi on GC Turbos with port meth injection. Trapping qtr mile around 128mph with the misfire. If that power level makes sense
The DMFW throws false misfire codes. It does not actually misfire. It's the way BMW decided to "sense" misfires that is the real problem.

2007 335xi E90 6MT, Sport Suspension, Cobb, AR *********, MMP Inlets, 335is clutch, DCI, CDV delete, ETS FMIC
(#7)
Old

Car: Bmw Z4 E89 35i
Default 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM

That's right it's a false missfire but it's a missfire for the knock sensor, somake sensor less sensitive isn't the right way, cause in cause of a real missfire the car will not cut
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 11-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Rs
That's right it's a false missfire but it's a missfire for the knock sensor, somake sensor less sensitive isn't the right way, cause in cause of a real missfire the car will not cut
Under high torque the flywheel can vibrate (poor balance) or stretch(dual mass) from the rotational forces acting on it. That causes the crank position sensor to see a variance in where it is and what it should be. That confuses the car causing it to think there are misfires. The variance can interfere with how the cars ignition system reacts.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Normally problems start around 550whp.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 11-07-2017, 08:36 PM

It goes fairly soon just being fbo-stock turbo. I'd say to consider Stage 2+ with single mass fw if you want to be 400+
(#11)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Under high torque the flywheel can vibrate (poor balance) or stretch(dual mass) from the rotational forces acting on it. That causes the crank position sensor to see a variance in where it is and what it should be. That confuses the car causing it to think there are misfires. The variance can interfere with how the cars ignition system reacts.
I think you're right. I've noticed that misfires are more prevalent on high wtq tunes with the DMFW.