N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
5soko's Avatar
5soko 5soko is offline
Vintage
 
Posts: 288
Join Date: Apr 2008
Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default N55 common issues? - 04-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Hey guys, just got a 2011 535i with the N55..

Was wondering what are the common issues to look out for on this engine..

Ialready did the water pump and t-stat and Coils/plugs.


How robust is the HPFP and the injectors on this engine?
Anything else to look for?


2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Stoolz Stoolz is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 884
Join Date: Jan 2015
Car: 11 135i
Default 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Chargepipe.
They are plastic and break.
Mine broke and sucked a piece into the throttle body.
Lucky for me it got stuck there.


2011 135i Dct coupe Alpine white n blacked out.
VTT DBB,Pure Inlet, JB4,GFB DV+,MHD,Fuel-it Platinum PI with Cm 5 - 50:50 Meth, E85, N20 tmap, Fuel It S2 lpfp, KB Boost A Spark, BMS IC /CP / IT / OCC, SG Boost Pipe, Quaife LSD, Federal RS-RR,M4 Flywheel, SSP R spec clutches, Kw V3 & Pro rolled guards, AR CL **, Bmw PE. Custom mi**ipe kitties. 1000wrms custom audio.
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
primamateria's Avatar
primamateria primamateria is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Join Date: Mar 2016
Car: 11' 335i xDrive e90
Default 04-09-2017, 07:10 AM

As Stoolz said - chargepipe.

Only other thing that I replaced due to being faulty was the oil filter housing gasket; started leaking pretty good. Cheap fix though - new gasket - $20 or so.

I replaced the coils and did new plugs and a new trans pan/gasket with new ZF trans oil; changed out the rear diff fluid also. These things were done just as preventative maintenance.

Surprisingly I'm still on the stock HPFP @ 100k+.




11' 335i xDrive e90,

JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, ISO_14 Firmware, BMS/MHD e85 BEF, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF **, VRSF 7in. FMIC,

Last edited by primamateria; 04-09-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Bours Bours is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 496
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: 335i x-drive n55 2011
Default 04-10-2017, 12:34 AM

100k+ miles or kms !? Im at 85k miles still on stock hpfp too but getting hpfp shadow codes sometimes nowadays

Btw have you ever 1/4 mile ?

Oh and OP its more about regular maintenance !

Plugs every 20k if tuned 50k if not
Diff oil
Tc oil if x drive
Oil gasket
Belt tensionner/idler pulley
Coolant leaks
Coils
At oil


And yeah change that chargepipe asap
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
primamateria's Avatar
primamateria primamateria is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Join Date: Mar 2016
Car: 11' 335i xDrive e90
Default 04-10-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours
100k+ miles or kms !? Im at 85k miles still on stock hpfp too but getting hpfp shadow codes sometimes nowadays

Btw have you ever 1/4 mile ?

Oh and OP its more about regular maintenance !

Plugs every 20k if tuned 50k if not
Diff oil
Tc oil if x drive
Oil gasket
Belt tensionner/idler pulley
Coolant leaks
Coils
At oil


And yeah change that chargepipe asap
Oh sorry should've specified, 100k miles. I'm just waiting for the day it craps out on me. ;p

And nah, haven't yet. Plan to this summer for sure.




11' 335i xDrive e90,

JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, ISO_14 Firmware, BMS/MHD e85 BEF, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF **, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Bours Bours is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 496
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: 335i x-drive n55 2011
Default 04-10-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primamateria
Oh sorry should've specified, 100k miles. I'm just waiting for the day it craps out on me. ;p

And nah, haven't yet. Plan to this summer for sure.
aight keep me posted ! having long cranks or any signs that its going out ?


335i x-drive 2011 e90 n55

ER chargepipe | performance line d.p | 90/10 bms meth kit | K&N drop in | JB4 + MHD pump flash | xhp stage 3 flash | PURE STAGE 2 turbo
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
5soko's Avatar
5soko 5soko is offline
Vintage
 
Posts: 288
Join Date: Apr 2008
Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 04-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolz
Chargepipe.
They are plastic and break.
Mine broke and sucked a piece into the throttle body.
Lucky for me it got stuck there.
O wow ok, chargepipe first on the list then! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by primamateria
As Stoolz said - chargepipe.

Only other thing that I replaced due to being faulty was the oil filter housing gasket; started leaking pretty good. Cheap fix though - new gasket - $20 or so.

I replaced the coils and did new plugs and a new trans pan/gasket with new ZF trans oil; changed out the rear diff fluid also. These things were done just as preventative maintenance.

Surprisingly I'm still on the stock HPFP @ 100k+.
Thanks! Not bad.. I was a long time and numerous n54 owner and this n55 engine looks to be WAY more reliable.. great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours
100k+ miles or kms !? Im at 85k miles still on stock hpfp too but getting hpfp shadow codes sometimes nowadays

Btw have you ever 1/4 mile ?

Oh and OP its more about regular maintenance !

Plugs every 20k if tuned 50k if not
Diff oil
Tc oil if x drive
Oil gasket
Belt tensionner/idler pulley
Coolant leaks
Coils
At oil


And yeah change that chargepipe asap
Awesome sounds like basic stuff nothing out of the ordinary..

Seems the fuel injector and hpfp is mostly cured from the n54 days..


2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
5soko's Avatar
5soko 5soko is offline
Vintage
 
Posts: 288
Join Date: Apr 2008
Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 04-16-2017, 12:45 PM

how about the water pumps?


2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
Ichiban Ichiban is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Join Date: Aug 2016
Car: 135i DCT
Default 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM

waterpump needs replacing too, regardless of your year N55.
Design flaws from BMW. They last roughly 50k miles.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
primamateria's Avatar
primamateria primamateria is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 119
Join Date: Mar 2016
Car: 11' 335i xDrive e90
Default 04-18-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
how about the water pumps?

This.

I forgot to mention in the above post - I did replace the thermostat and coolant/water pump. My pump took a s^&* probably about 20k miles into having the car.




11' 335i xDrive e90,

JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, ISO_14 Firmware, BMS/MHD e85 BEF, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF **, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
Torquejunkie Torquejunkie is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2017
Car: 135i N55
Default 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolz
Chargepipe.
They are plastic and break.
Mine broke and sucked a piece into the throttle body.
Lucky for me it got stuck there.
Hi Bimmer junkies,

I'm new my name is Guido and I bourgth a 135i E82 coupe with the N55 engine.

I've read that you changed the chargepipe. Do you guys have a Part-No. that I'm able to buy replacement.

Don't what to blow the engine because of BMW did a mistake in engineering dept.

Sorry for my poor english.

Greets from Germany
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
orteeze orteeze is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 228
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 08' 335i
Default 05-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquejunkie
Hi Bimmer junkies,

I'm new my name is Guido and I bourgth a 135i E82 coupe with the N55 engine.

I've read that you changed the chargepipe. Do you guys have a Part-No. that I'm able to buy replacement.

Don't what to blow the engine because of BMW did a mistake in engineering dept.

Sorry for my poor english.

Greets from Germany
Buy an aftermarket metal charge pipe and you will never have to worry about it again.

Burger Motorsports
Cobb
VRSF

Make sure you select N55 motor and specify your year make and model.


E90 LCI M Sport
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Torquejunkie Torquejunkie is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2017
Car: 135i N55
Default 05-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze
Buy an aftermarket metal charge pipe and you will never have to worry about it again.

Burger Motorsports
Cobb
VRSF

Make sure you select N55 motor and specify your year make and model.
Thanks Orteeze,

I'll check Tuning shops here in Germany.


Br

Guido



Oil couldn't cause the issue... It's no Oil in the engine...
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
Kurler Kurler is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Car: 2011 BMW E93 335i LCI
Default 05-02-2017, 03:01 PM

I had crank seal, dct sump gasket and oil filter housing gasket leak at 46k kms
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
Torquejunkie Torquejunkie is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2017
Car: 135i N55
Default 05-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Hi Orteeze,

Thanks, I've found a dealer who sell Burger parts...

I'll check the existing charge pipe. If it's made from plastic I'll replace it.


Br

Guido



Oil couldn't cause the issue... It's no Oil in the engine...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2019, N54tech.com