N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default Transmission Fault/Malfunction - 11-25-2016, 06:11 PM

Did a post yesterday that looks like it got deleted not sure why maybe I put it in the wrong area so here goes again

Accidentally filled up with too much E85 yesterday, usually only run 60% but put in about 75%

Went to boot it back on to freeway and heard a loud bang and then car jerked, message came up on center screen Transmission Fault/Malfunction car wouldn't accelerate and was surging and jerking forward. Pulled over turned the car off and back on and everything seemed fine
Got home read codes and no error codes logged by JB4 other than old ones which are always there

I recently had the transmission serviced with pan and Mech seal/sleeve changed but car was driving fine, this only happened after putting in too much E85 but the fact that no engine codes were thrown has me really confused

Just wondering is there anything else I can check for to make sure I haven't done any real damage?

N54 335i JB4+BE Flash FBO LSD
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-25-2016, 06:32 PM

JB4 will not read transmission codes.
I would take car to a parts store to have all the codes read if this is bothering you.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 11-25-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks Russel

I'm thinking the extra E85 couldn't have played any role as otherwise I would have got engine Fault codes

Having had a bit more of a read I'm starting to wonder if in fact it was a traction control induced limp mode as while I had pressed that button to allow for slip I hadn't turned it completely off

I was experiencing heavy wheel slip due to the acceleration as it happened

If there were any issues would the car itself continue to flash the warning?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-25-2016, 08:54 PM

It could have been the extra E85. Too much E85 will lead to low fuel pressure and sequential cylinder shutoff with all kinds of temporary problems following the initial event.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-26-2016, 09:51 AM

Wouldn't things like cylinder shut off show up as a fault code though?
And wouldn't it have also kicked me out of my JB4 Map 5 into the fail safe map?
(#6)
Old

Default 07-19-2017, 07:09 AM

I can now confirm that this was due to either running the older BMS E85 BEF which Ive read something about the tables not being as optimized and/or not having a proper trans flash

bottom line is since doing the MHD E85 BEF and the XHP trans flash Ive never had this problem and the car is pulling alot harder and stronger than it was back then