N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1176)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsdanny
Terry,
How do I become a guinea pig for the conversion from tap-ins to OBDII on my JB4.

I have a 2012 F30 328i PWG

(Terry, I still owe you pictures of the circuit board... My car has been out of state for a little bit. It should be in tomorrow.)
You'd have to email me to test the PWG OBDII N20 firmware.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1177)
Old
Registered Users

Car: 14' F25 X3 xDrive28 M-Sport AlpineWhite DHP
Default 12-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias
Hi I have a racechip on my X3 28i
Should I remove it from my car and install the jb4 or I can use both in series.
Definitely remove it, don't see any other way to run 2 piggybacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongy85
Highly doubt you can run both at the same time...
Exactly, why would someone even ask lol
(#1178)
Old

Car: BMW F34GT 328
Default 01-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Hi! I have searched the forum but have not find exact answer is it OK to use map 2 with 200 cell sportcat? Or this map should be used only with ******* DP?
(#1179)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Octane is the main factor with map selection. For most pump gas situations map 1 is suggested.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1180)
Old

Car: BMW F34GT 328
Default 01-07-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Octane is the main factor with map selection. For most pump gas situations map 1 is suggested.
I understand this. Now I am using map 2 with ca tless DP. But due to the smell and sound I am thinking to change it to sportcat. So I wonder if it will be OK to continue running on map 2 with sportcat or its better to change to map 1 using the same Octane Ron 98?

Last edited by Alex_st1; 01-07-2016 at 11:55 PM..
(#1181)
Old

Car: BMW F30 328i
Default 01-08-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_st1
I understand this. Now I am using map 2 with ca tless DP. But due to the smell and sound I am thinking to change it to sportcat. So I wonder if it will be OK to continue running on map 2 with sportcat or its better to change to map 1 using the same Octane Ron 98?
Running map 2 with stock *** for 2.5 years now
(#1182)
Old
Registered Users

Default 01-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@SG
How often you WOT ?
(#1183)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Over 2 years on map2 on 93 with c a t l e s s d o w n p i p e and K&N drop in and drive it hard alot. Many WOT pulls and some races between buddies. So far so good.

2008 135i Sport 6at
JB4 G5 ISO, MHD E85 KR, Fuel-it S1, E55 Mix, Alpina Trans Flash, afe Scoops, My own custom 2.5" inlets, ER CP, Synapse BOV, 3.5 Tmap, 7.5" Phoenix FMIC, NGK 5992, 3" BMS downtubes, N55 Mids, Berk Race, BMS OCC, 48 plate oil cooler, 36 plate trans fluid cooler, PSS, R888, Hoosier DRs.
11.92@123.6 (JB4 ISO, DCI, IC, **, DR, on e45 & 17psi)(2013)
444whp/481wtq @19psi and e60 (2013)

2013 X3 xDrive28i M-package
JB4, K&N drop-in, ER downtube, Map 2 @ 22psi on 93
(#1184)
Old

Default 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobX3
How often you WOT ?
Every now and then. I am averaging 7-8km/l (17-18mpg) for the driving style.
(#1185)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Every now and then. I am averaging 7-8km/l (17-18mpg) for the driving style.
Woah! Averaging 22mpg on the X3.

2008 135i Sport 6at
JB4 G5 ISO, MHD E85 KR, Fuel-it S1, E55 Mix, Alpina Trans Flash, afe Scoops, My own custom 2.5" inlets, ER CP, Synapse BOV, 3.5 Tmap, 7.5" Phoenix FMIC, NGK 5992, 3" BMS downtubes, N55 Mids, Berk Race, BMS OCC, 48 plate oil cooler, 36 plate trans fluid cooler, PSS, R888, Hoosier DRs.
11.92@123.6 (JB4 ISO, DCI, IC, **, DR, on e45 & 17psi)(2013)
444whp/481wtq @19psi and e60 (2013)

2013 X3 xDrive28i M-package
JB4, K&N drop-in, ER downtube, Map 2 @ 22psi on 93
(#1186)
Old

Default 01-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Anyone running JB4 with M3/4 Spark Plugs?
(#1187)
Old

Car: BMW 528i
Default 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Me and my friends are using the M4 plugs. So far idling is better. Car runs very smooth. No problem.
(#1188)
Old
Registered Users

Default 01-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Dyno'ed it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seroga1986
Over 2 years on map2 on 93 with c a t l e s s d o w n p i p e and K&N drop in and drive it hard alot. Many WOT pulls and some races between buddies. So far so good.
i know lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by seroga1986
Woah! Averaging 22mpg on the X3.
I been averaging 22mpg too, CruiseCOntrol 75-80mph, but no JB4 on X3

Quote:
running S55 plugs here and friends on ECU Flash and RaceChip piggyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
Me and my friends are using the M4 plugs. So far idling is better. Car runs very smooth. No problem.
Indeed
(#1189)
Old

Car: BMW 328i F30 -13
Default 01-13-2016, 06:52 AM

I have a completely stock 328i F30 with 69000km on the clock.
I want to tune it a bit. First I found Racechip Ultimate which seemed good. But someone recommended the JB4 as it is much more complete and reliable, better for the engine and everything.
So I found one for a good price. But I want to know more about it. Will it be easy for BMW to detect even after it is removed, because it is tapped into the OBD plug?

Another thing, is it possible to tap into the wires behind the OBD connection, without using the OBD-plug you can buy. I want it to be stealthy. Which cables should I tap on the OBD connector?

How reliable is it? Can I count on it, I don't want my expensive car failing because the turbo is blown or other damages due to high psi!?

How much more hp and Nm will I gain over the 245hp stock?
(#1190)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-13-2016, 05:10 PM

Why would tapping wires be more stealthy than using a PNP connector you can fully and completely remove in under a minute?

Burger Motorsports

(#1191)
Old

Default 01-14-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Why would tapping wires be more stealthy than using a PNP connector you can fully and completely remove in under a minute?
Because the one I want to purchase is used and does not have the connection. And also I'm thinking of cutting the OBD-wires and put a connector in the engine compartment, that way I can easily remove the whole box when it is at the dealer. A little cable is easy to hide.

From what I understand you cannot use ENET connected to the OBD when the JB4 is connected.
Is it enough to disable it with the steering wheel, and then connect the ENET?
Or do I have to unplug the two cables to the OBD?
(#1192)
Old

Car: 2013 Z4 20i
Default why the actual boost psi is far below the target psi under 3000rpm - 01-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Hi Terry and everyone,

Last edited by notebookboy; 01-14-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Delete the imgs
(#1193)
Old

Default 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
There is no connector taking up space and so on. And also I just purchased a used JB4 which hasn't got this connector.
Is it ok to extend the OBD-wires to reach the connector, what gauge of wire is used?

And another thing, I want to connect this to the OBD as I previously said, and update the firmware to support this. Can I update the firmware from my computer before I connect everything to the car?
I don't want to connect it before it supports the OBD features if something is damaged.
Or should I just connect a few cables to be able to update it?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Are these the correct wires to tap on the OBD connector?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1778
To confirm, the blue and light grey. This is from the N54-thread, is it the same thing on the N20?

Last edited by joq3; 01-15-2016 at 03:33 AM..
(#1194)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-16-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joq3
EDIT: Are these the correct wires to tap on the OBD connector?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1778
To confirm, the blue and light grey. This is from the N54-thread, is it the same thing on the N20?
Wires are the same. The JB4 must be installed to load firmware.

Burger Motorsports

(#1195)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-16-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notebookboy
Hi Terry and everyone,
You'd have to post a log in the support forum if you need tuning assistance.

Burger Motorsports

(#1196)
Old

Default 01-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Wires are the same. The JB4 must be installed to load firmware.
Great!
I understand that I must install it before updating, but the JB4 I bought is used and has the old firmware (where you tap the OBD in the engine compartment). And I'm going to tap it directly behind the OBD. Is it dangerous to tap behind the OBD and start it up before updating. Or is it the same connectors that are in the engine compartment?

Would love to have a clear instruction on this to not damage anything.

EDIT:
Just searched about the firmware update for OBD, but from what I understand it is only for EWG? I have a PWG on my N20 328i.
Will there be a firmware for OBD? I want to be able to use the steering wheel functions.

Last edited by joq3; 01-17-2016 at 11:56 AM..
(#1197)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2016, 12:15 PM

We actually have OBDII PWG firmware under testing. I'll add it to the first post.

Just don't connect the CANbus wires until after you update. Not that it will hurt anything, either way.

Burger Motorsports

(#1198)
Old

Default 01-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
We actually have OBDII PWG firmware under testing. I'll add it to the first post.

Just don't connect the CANbus wires until after you update. Not that it will hurt anything, either way.
Wow great!
Will update before i connect it.
As i have bought a used jb4 will it keep the other users setting even after a firmware update? Could you post a picture of the default settings in the jb4 windows application for a jb4 n20 328i with PWG?
(#1199)
Old

Car: 2013 328i
Default 01-17-2016, 05:14 PM

**Cross posted in support after seeing Terry's note on the previous page**

Need some help!!! Just installed a JB4 on my '13 328i (EWG), did the board upgrade and OBDII cable, using the BT kit and app, only using stage 1 right now, and I'm getting a code "CDA904 FA-CAN, message (Status trailer, 0x2E4):Missing".

A) What does this code mean? I had no luck googling.

B) What is the black wire/2 molex connector part of the harness (not the ground)? update: looks like manual MAF based on BMS' youtube videos

C) Do I need to remove the ground and power wires? The instructions weren't very clear. They're currently hooked up.

D) The car isn't registering my mpg or avg speed, and the small display on the gauge pod isn't reading miles remaining in tank (top right of the 6 values displayed).

E) Looking at the gauges on the JB4 Mobile app, I noticed a few times when I let off the throttle, AFR would read 3.8 and stay there for a little bit despite blipping the throttle.

I have no other mods on the car, everything worked fine before.

Last edited by jerz_subbie; 01-18-2016 at 09:35 AM..
(#1200)
Old

Default 01-17-2016, 11:53 PM

I just realised I haven't checked if I really have PWG or EWG, but according to the JB4 installation instructions the EWG was available only after 2014?
Tried taking a picture where it is supposed to be, but can't really see it?
Big picture, linked: http://i.imgur.com/Ryut5bT.jpg

Does this mean I have the EWG? I just purchased a used JB4 with PWG, because according to the instruction EWG is only for 2014+??
Can I add the EWG cable to my JB4 easily?

Third edit:
Read almost the whole thread now. From what I understand I can add the EWG harness to a JB4 that has the PWG harness. But what are the real benefit of doing this, as the installation guide states that you can tuck the PWG harness away if you have EWG. Will Map 1 run better with EWG harness or is there no difference at all?
I have a completely stock 328i with EWG (i think, please check the picture).
Will the EWG harness give me more boost on Map 1 and deliver it more smothly?
Can I run map 2 without having DP?
Only run 98 Octane in Europe, don't know if you have the same scale?

Last edited by joq3; 01-18-2016 at 07:26 AM..