N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#851)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobX3
Hey guys a little confuse here debating on whether to go with Stage1 or Stage2, I'm not a big modder by any means but want to get the most out of my N20 BMW X3 28i engine while keep components stock and using the best tune available.
The JB4 is a stronger better tune. But is a little harder to install. While the Stage1 basically runs +3psi over stock. For the ease of install and gains the Stage1 is very popular but it's not a JB4...

When comparing dynos fuel, weather, etc, all play a big role. 91 octane makes less power than 93 and both make much less than racing fuel.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#852)
Old

Car: F30 320i 6MT
Thumbs up 12-01-2014, 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=denriver;337620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooleung
Just installed the ewg harness on my 20i and did a run on map 1 after. The car now pulled a bit stronger and smoother especially on the high range. Anyone feel the same?[/QUOT

yes, I feel the same
installed ewg on my 320i stage 2 and er down pipe last week, powerwise feels same, maybe small diference but cant tell, but it does feels something diferent, smoother for sure, pulls strong like always.. nice little upgrade
(#853)
Old
Registered Users

Car: 14' F25 X3 xDrive28 M-Sport AlpineWhite DHP
Default 12-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The JB4 is a stronger better tune. But is a little harder to install. While the Stage1 basically runs +3psi over stock. For the ease of install and gains the Stage1 is very popular but it's not a JB4...

When comparing dynos fuel, weather, etc, all play a big role. 91 octane makes less power than 93 and both make much less than racing fuel.
thank you Terry!
I have octane 93 and looks like I am planning on getting stage1 as I don't feel comfortable to do the extra wires for installation or have the time take advantage of JB4.

I just ran using Shell 93 octane 0-40 and 0-50 using launch control and sport display on my X3 28i and it showed 242-245HP and 260-265torque .. (2 runs) since I don't have the money for a real dyno.

How much of a difference will I notice with Stage1?
(#854)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobX3
thank you Terry!
I have octane 93 and looks like I am planning on getting stage1 as I don't feel comfortable to do the extra wires for installation or have the time take advantage of JB4.

I just ran using Shell 93 octane 0-40 and 0-50 using launch control and sport display on my X3 28i and it showed 242-245HP and 260-265torque .. (2 runs) since I don't have the money for a real dyno.

How much of a difference will I notice with Stage1?
Expect to gain around 30-40 "crank hp". Note gauges will continue to show the stock values as they don't measure actual HP.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#855)
Old

Car: Bmw 320i F30
Default 12-02-2014, 01:38 AM

Last edited by Furbz; 12-02-2014 at 01:43 AM..
(#856)
Old

Car: 2014 520i
Default 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Hi Terry
Have you solve the EWG issue?
How much psi is the max boost now ?
For the 320i
(#857)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-10-2014, 11:30 AM

The 320i has fueling and timing issues when running more than 10psi over stock. So we've capped boost to no more than 10psi over stock. Which means you can use map 1 when on E85 but it won't be as strong as map 1 on a 328i. Maybe more like 18psi instead of 21psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#858)
Old

Car: FBO 228i
Default 12-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Finally finished reading through all 35 pages of this thread but still unclear as to what map I should be in when I'm mixing E85 (I am running the FF wires). Vehicle is a 2014 228i n20 with electronic waste gate. Vehicle is a full bolt (AR design c@tless dp, Injen intake, ER intercooler, rolloface charge pipe, muffler delete and a Hexon racing turbo upgrade). I'll set it to map 2 when I'm running 2 gallons of e85 when mixed with about 7 gallons of 91 octane and at WOT in the high rpm the car will just back fire and go into limp mode. Also seems to do that when running map 1 at WOT on 91 octane.

The car dynod at 301 WHP (dynapack) with the AFE scorcher module on 91 octane and all I can say is that the JB4 made a huge difference in power compared to the Afe tune. Can't wait to get her running properly and do a dyno session with the JB4.
(#859)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-15-2014, 11:47 AM

The N20 EWG is not very E85 friendly. I'd stay on map 1 and mix no more than 30%. If you have any tuning issues post a log and any codes in the support section and we can check that out for you.

Burger Motorsports

(#860)
Old

Car: 320ix
Default 12-18-2014, 06:44 AM

I installed the Stage 1 on my 2014, 320i Xdrive last night. The install was very easy. My car has the EWG so I stripped off the wire loom on the blue wires, which made it easier to bundle up the wires and store them next to the module. The MAF connector was awkward to access but a dental pick allowed me to release the clip from underneath.

The throttle response is much better and where previously the transmission would downshift on hills, it does not now. I am impressed. This is the way BMW should have sold the car.

Jim
(#861)
Old

Default 12-19-2014, 12:48 PM

I'm picking up a 5 gallon jug of C16 fuel tonight in preparation for a dyno session tomorrow at European Auto Source. Crossing my fingers that the car doesn't blow up on map 7 lol

I'll make sure to do some logging while on the dyno.
(#862)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol
I'm picking up a 5 gallon jug of C16 fuel tonight in preparation for a dyno session tomorrow at European Auto Source. Crossing my fingers that the car doesn't blow up on map 7 lol

I'll make sure to do some logging while on the dyno.
If you are EWG I would not use map 7. Maybe map 2 but before doing anything I'd log it.

Burger Motorsports

(#863)
Old

Default 12-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
If you are EWG I would not use map 7. Maybe map 2 but before doing anything I'd log it.
Yes sir I do have EWG.
Dang it... I thought I would be able to run map 7 with race fuel
(#864)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-19-2014, 01:07 PM

You may throw a rod through the block as others have. I'd have to see logs to offer specific advice but I'd stay with map 2 personally at least until you're sure everything looks good. Also note leaded race fuel will damage o2 sensors. You should be using unleaded race fuel.

Burger Motorsports

(#865)
Old

Car: Bmw 328i F30
Default 12-20-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Finally finished reading through all 35 pages of this thread but still unclear as to what map I should be in when I'm mixing E85 (I am running the FF wires). Vehicle is a 2014 228i n20 with electronic waste gate. Vehicle is a full bolt (AR design c@tless dp, Injen intake, ER intercooler, rolloface charge pipe, muffler delete and a Hexon racing turbo upgrade). I'll set it to map 2 when I'm running 2 gallons of e85 when mixed with about 7 gallons of 91 octane and at WOT in the high rpm the car will just back fire and go into limp mode. Also seems to do that when running map 1 at WOT on 91 octane.

The car dynod at 301 WHP (dynapack) with the AFE scorcher module on 91 octane and all I can say is that the JB4 made a huge difference in power compared to the Afe tune. Can't wait to get her running properly and do a dyno session with the JB4.
can you share the link to that company who did turbo upgrade ?

F30 328i - 8 auto.. JB4+FF+EWG, OCC, Injen Intake+scoop, AFE dp, AA axle-back - H&R springs, H&R rear SB - Front Strut - F&R BMS spacers..
(#866)
Old

Car: BMW 320i
Default 12-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded
They don't have a website per se AFAIK. They do have a facebook page though
(#867)
Old

Default 12-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14
They don't have a website per se AFAIK. They do have a facebook page though
These are the guys that I got my turbo from:
http://www.hexonautowerks.com/products_list.php
(#868)
Old

Car: F30 320i 2012
Default 12-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Hi,

I am using JB4 stage 2 from 4 month on my 320I (wo EWG) with sw N20_JB4_FSERIES_6_2... i recently updated to the latest sw N20_JB4_FSERIES_6_3.

With the same daily trip in eco pro mode, the consumption of the car increase about 2l /100km, it means, my car did 100 miles less so, i reverted to the previous version, and now everything is ok...

FYI, i did an update of the DDE with the latest sw from BMW (istap 53.4).
(#869)
Old

Car: BMW 320i
Default 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't know there was a website. I googled it but never found them

Btw, did you have time to dyno the car? How is it doing?

Cheers
(#870)
Old

Car: Bmw 328i F30
Default 12-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Great thanks man, can't wait to see another dyno with JB4 compared to the AFE 301 whp

F30 328i - 8 auto.. JB4+FF+EWG, OCC, Injen Intake+scoop, AFE dp, AA axle-back - H&R springs, H&R rear SB - Front Strut - F&R BMS spacers..
(#871)
Old

Car: BMW F30 328i
Default 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM

With more rumours and seemingly legitimate claims that the F30 ECU has been cracked, how will that interface with the JB4?

What can we expect?
(#872)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM

The JB4 can already max out the platform and then some. So having a back end flash available is of no particular significance to most.

Maybe for the 320i platforms we'll be able to push those a bit harder. And it will come in handy for N20 turbo upgrades where the car has already had the rods/pistons replaced with stronger pieces that can withstand additional torque.

Burger Motorsports

(#873)
Old

Default 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Great thanks man, can't wait to see another dyno with JB4 compared to the AFE 301 whp
The car actually read less power at EAS (european auto source) with the JB4 stage 2 map 7 w/100 octane on the Dyno Jet as opposed to the DynaPack at Road Race Engineering with the AFE tune w/ 91 octane. I'll be going back to Road race Engineering to do another dyno session with the jb4 on map 7 and 100 octane to see what is really going on with the difference in hp numbers. *EAS screwed up on my dyno sheet, my 228i has the N20 w/ 8 speed sport auto tranny*

Dyno video at EAS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uQ6_2p3xg

(#874)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 12-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And it will come in handy for N20 turbo upgrades where the car has already had the rods/pistons replaced with stronger pieces that can withstand additional torque.
You think the delay in onset of torque from the upgraded turbo may help at all? We are chomping at the bit on upgrading these N20 turbos. We have well over 20 units, disassembled, cleaned/etc… only waiting on the need to arise for an upgraded unit to be tested.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#875)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
You think the delay in onset of torque from the upgraded turbo may help at all? We are chomping at the bit on upgrading these N20 turbos. We have well over 20 units, disassembled, cleaned/etc… only waiting on the need to arise for an upgraded unit to be tested.

Rob
It could help but I just don't know. Someone will need to bite the bullet and test it out.

Burger Motorsports