N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#551)
Old

Car: BMW F30 328i
Default 03-05-2014, 10:43 PM

I have JB4 stg2 on my 328 with electronic solenoid (so no full boost for me ).
Want to test running 100Oct gas so which map?
map2 with more boost?
where I change the boost?
Thanks
(#552)
Old

Car: F31 328XI N20 03/2013
Default 03-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendroz
I have JB4 stg2 on my 328 with electronic solenoid (so no full boost for me ).
Want to test running 100Oct gas so which map?
map2 with more boost?
where I change the boost?
Thanks
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...36&page=21#top

F31 | 328XI | N20B20A | 03/2013 | JB4 Stage 2 | Map 2 | FF Wires | 4" DP | Wagner Comp FMIC | Pipercross drop in | OCC | KW V2
Bid assistance in Germany for troubleshooting, coding, alpina flash, ecu tuning etc.
(#553)
Old

Car: 2011 335i n55
Default 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Hey guys, I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question but I emailed terry to ask about the flex fuel wires directions saying to set the open loop mapping to 60 and how to do that and his reply was its in the software interface. that means nothing to me so I emailed him back and asked does that mean I have to hook it to the computer or can it be done on steering wheel control? so he sent me a link to this thread and said to ask the question here. I have a 2011 335i n55 so I dont know if Im in the right spot. please dont bash me and say use the search button because Ive been doing that for the last 2 hrs . and does anyone know what the jb4 is set at when its made.
(#554)
Old

Default 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM

If Im in the wrong spot Terry sent me here. lol
(#555)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711gator
Hey guys, I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question but I emailed terry to ask about the flex fuel wires directions saying to set the open loop mapping to 60 and how to do that and his reply was its in the software interface. that means nothing to me so I emailed him back and asked does that mean I have to hook it to the computer or can it be done on steering wheel control? so he sent me a link to this thread and said to ask the question here. I have a 2011 335i n55 so I dont know if Im in the right spot. please dont bash me and say use the search button because Ive been doing that for the last 2 hrs . and does anyone know what the jb4 is set at when its made.
A laptop is required. You use the interface and directions in the first post to update/change settings.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#556)
Old

Default 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM

ok thanks getting laptop this weekend
(#557)
Old

Default 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Soooooo....last night, i build in my ******* ******** with stock exhaust.
Car getīs a little bit louder when cruising, and much more louder on high rpmīs.
Power gain is very nice and feelable on all rpmīs!
If you get wot the car responds much faster and is "jumping" forward :-)

Now iīm just missing the full electronic wastegatecontrol for full boost and full dash control for switching between map 2 and map 4.
At the moment sometimes i fall back to map 0 and then i get trouple with sommer errors....

Isolated boost control would be very very nice :-)

F31 | 328XI | N20B20A | 03/2013 | JB4 Stage 2 | Map 2 | FF Wires | 4" DP | Wagner Comp FMIC | Pipercross drop in | OCC | KW V2
Bid assistance in Germany for troubleshooting, coding, alpina flash, ecu tuning etc.
(#558)
Old

Car: Bmw 320i F30
Default 03-07-2014, 01:54 AM

quick question.
for a 320i F30 owner with a stage 2 install.

i have the solenoid wastegate.
hence i should be getting full gains in map 5?
ie the 260hp tune?

and if one has a electronic wastegate i would have only slightly better performance than stage 1 tuning?

the more i drive the car with this tune, the more i fall in love with it!!

however yesterday i got my first limp mode error.
car came up saying drivetrain error. and that i would not have full power etc...
is this normal for map 5??
the error was deleted by the JB4 on restarting the car.
(#559)
Old

Car: BMW 428i M sport
Default 03-07-2014, 02:47 AM

Hi BMS crew. I recently got a 428i M sport and have been looking for some extra juice from this great little engine. Really interested in your N20 stage 2 tuning kit and ******** upgrades (not sure if the ******** fits the 428i?).

What would the combined HP & torque increase be at the wheels with these two upgrades on a 428i?

I live in Irvine CA which is around 1.5 hour drive to Simi Valley. Could possibly drive up there one weekend if install on site is a possibility.

Cheers

Last edited by alwozhere; 03-07-2014 at 03:20 AM..
(#560)
Old

Car: F30 320i
Default 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbz
quick question.
for a 320i F30 owner with a stage 2 install.

i have the solenoid wastegate.
hence i should be getting full gains in map 5?
ie the 260hp tune?

and if one has a electronic wastegate i would have only slightly better performance than stage 1 tuning?

the more i drive the car with this tune, the more i fall in love with it!!

however yesterday i got my first limp mode error.
car came up saying drivetrain error. and that i would not have full power etc...
is this normal for map 5??
the error was deleted by the JB4 on restarting the car.

My car is exactly same as yours. 320i w/solenoid + JB4, map5.
But never experienced limp mode error.(1 month used)
I didn't measure dyno. but I feel about 240 whp on my car.
(I'm not live in USA, So, I think dyno results are different BMS claimed.)
(#561)
Old

Car: BMW E30 M3 3.2 S50B32
Default 03-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Subscribed for future updates
(#562)
Old

Car: 320i
Default 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbz
a comprehensive noobs review of the jb4 used in a f30 320i

hi all, this is my review of the jb4 tuning chip along with a review of burger tuning on a whole.
I decided to do this review as i struggled to find any comprehensive review on a 320i. There are many good comments. But not a review.

Just to make things clear:
I am independent of burger tuning.
I am a 27 year old in south africa and this is the first time i have chip tuned a car. I have some experience with basic carb fed offroad motorbikes, and have built a 1640 kent engine for a lotus 7 replica i used to own.

I will try keep this short and highlight both the good and the bad.

Pre-sale and delivery

i first contacted jeff from burger tuning regarding chipping my car.
A few emails back and forth with jeff helped immensely with my questions and gave me the confidence i needed to order the chip.
Even with the timezone issues, my questions were responded to very quickly!

After a couple days i had not received an order number, i queried this and was told there was a back order on the flex fuel wires. The delay would be 7-10 days. Fair enough as i placed my order in jan after xmas holidays.
As promised my parcel arrive at my door in south africa 10 days later. Very impressive!

The install

again, this is the first time i have done something like this. I am not a mechanic.
The install was incredibly easy, i followed the instructions carefully and had to pop an email to jon to help with finding the fitting for the fuel rail. Jon sent me a details photo that helped immensely.
Otherwise fitment took me less than 30min.
On initial startup my car gave me a solenoid error. I then unplugged the connector to find the pin had pushed back. I lightly pulled it forward and replugged the connector. This resolved that issue.

Using the data logger

i had a few issues here.
After installing drivers and the software i had no issues communicating with the jb4. I changed the map to map 5 unplugged everything and took the car for a drive. To my disappointment i could not feel any difference.
A quick mail to jon, and i was advised to do a few data logs.
Having never done data logs before i had some learning to do. Turns out is beyond easy. And rather fun!

Anyway back to data logging
it was at this point i started to have issues getting my computer and the jb4 to talk.
I kept getting port errors. I tried different laptops, and different usb ports. What i found is that i could sometimes make a connection and hold it for a while. And other times no matter what i tried nothing would work. (this is still an issue i am dealing with).
It must be said, jon was more than willing to ship me a new cable! - i turned this gesture down as thats going to cost them a bunch just to ship a simple cable to south africa. It would be quicker and doesn't cost much to source locally.
Subsequently i have been trying to source one locally but struggling due to the cables uniqueness. So i might take jon up on his offer eventually. I am in no rush as the jb4 is operating fine right now (see below)

anyway, i eventually managed to get a few data logs to jon.

My issue was the tune was jumping from map 5 when idling to map 4 when i touched the throttle. A few changes and a restore to default setting helped clear up the no tune issue somewhat, i had great pulls but could feel the tune kick out after a few seconds.
On plugging the chip into my computer i confirmed this. The car would pull nicely in map 5, then all of a sudden jump to map 69. Still no idea why this happened.

Now i have no idea if the above was the jb4 learning about my car/driving style. I did not change anything on the jb4 or via the software, but after a day or 2 of this the jb4 all of a sudden started working perfectly! I confirmed this with a data log. Great pulls on map 5 with no jumping.

It has since been a few weeks with no issues whatsoever!

The drive

if you are reading this then you have no doubt seen claims of the car being transformed into a different animal - i can confirm this.
The car has moved from a soft spoken easy driving sedan to a car that gives you a great shove into the back of you seat!

Just something to keep in mind.
This is a 320i 4 pot engine. Don't expect v8 type grunt. This engine needs its turbo to spool before it gets going.

There is a slight difference in low down rpm. Enough to be noticeable but not vast, still it is better than it was before.
Its when you get over 3000rpm the magic starts to happen!
The car surges forward with way way way more gusto!
The revs climb significantly faster from 3000 to 6000 plus rpm and gives you the most smile inducing sensation i have had in a while!
If you have driven an old style high lift cam naturally aspirated car you will know this feeling... "nothing nothing nothing... Boom! Theres the power!"
and this power does not wax and wain. Its solid power right to the top of the rev range.
Snap it to second gear and it pulls hard, this is the same through 3rd, 4th etc
watching the speedo confirms that this car prior to the jb4 installation was a highly neutered engine. Speed climbs far quicker than it did before.

Now i have not dynoed the car, i might in the future just to confirm the claims. But for now my butt dyno tell me that its not necessary.
For the money paid vs the increases experienced its a no brainer. Its worth the money and then some!

Conclusion

here i would like to rubbish comments i have read about burger tunings after sales service not being any good.
Even with timezone differences i experienced very prompt responses with clear instructions on what was needed from me and what i needed to do to resolve the issues.
When i didn't know where the fuel rail sensor was i received a detailed photo showing exactly where i needed to look.
When my jb4 was misbehaving i got concise detailed instructions on how to trouble shoot the issue and the problem was thus resolved quickly.

Fuel economy

i have had the jb4 for to short a time to fairly comment at this point.
Obviously my fuel economy is worse, but extra power doesn't come for free!
Plus every time i even get a hint of a chance my foot is welded down as i enjoy the extra power!
At some stage i might do a tank on an economy run and see what i find.
For now, i used to get 650km per tank. I now get 510km per tank.
This i base solely on my driving the car harder and enjoying the extra power!

End notes

would i buy from burger tuning again?

> in a heart beat! Great service both pre and post sale. And a great product!

Would i say the jb4 is worth the money?

>absolutely! The jb4 costs 1/5 of "bmw approved" ac schnitzer chip and has a higher gains.

Would you change anything?

>lets get real here. The jb4 for the f30 is still in beta testing. So not a fair question!
But if i had the choice:
- a light in the manual cars showing the map selected.
- some sort of wireless module instead of a wired connection.

Thank for reading guys,
and thanks again to burger tuning for a great product and a world class service!
nice work.
(#563)
Old

Car: 328i
Default 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM

What is the "golf-t" flapper mod others are referring to?
(#564)
Old

Default 03-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Today was my first Drive-Malfunction. Gas was very low - 5 miles left.
Car shakes terrible, i just turn off map 2, turn off car, restart in comfort mode.
No more alerts
Will see tomorrow when i start the car.
(#565)
Old

Car: bmw
Default 03-12-2014, 08:19 AM

hi all,
my car is 320i n20, jb4 update 6 generation of firmware

Terry please answer the questions that plague me
1)I put FF / Wastegate Adaption to 0, it will not affect whether the deterioration of the dynamics of dispersal?
2)I put Fuel Open Loop to 50 right? or need 60 as manual?

Thank you, sorry for my english
(#566)
Old

Default 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM

As a heads up for all 328 JB4 users, make sure that you take some waterproofing measures for the box, i.e. wrap it in some loose fitting plastic to keep moisture out of it. If it gets water inside it can and will cause some of the issues people (including myself) have had in the past.

Since I "waterproofed" my JB4 I haven't had any issues.
(#567)
Old

Default 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Any one has gotten the Er charge pipe for the n20 yet? Or installed the FMIC? Any reviews?

Is n54tuning going to be carrying these?
(#568)
Old

Car: X1 n20
Default 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morkusyambo
What is the "golf-t" flapper mod others are referring to?
It hold the flap open in your muffler to make things sound a little louder. It may help with flow too, but who knows lol
I like the sound, with it open. Don't really have a desire for an aftermarket system. So I have that money waiting for intercooler and charge pipe.

Hope ER gets around to more parts for the n20. I worked with them to make the DP. Hopefully I'll get the chance to help with something new.

2015 M235i Track Edition (1 of 50 in Canada)
-Custom ProTuningFreaks BM3 Tune (PTF Developer team)
-Dinan CF Intake, wrapped in gold heat tape from -Golidlocks Automotive.
- ER Charge pipes (H & C)
- GoFastBits Diverter valve
- MeaganRacing Solid Rear adj. upper Camber arms
- H&R Springs
- Dinan bumpstops
(#569)
Old

Default 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Unless someone can show it adds significant power, i'll keep my sleeper 328 nice and quiet tyvm.
(#570)
Old

Default 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC
It hold the flap open in your muffler to make things sound a little louder. It may help with flow too, but who knows lol
I like the sound, with it open. Don't really have a desire for an aftermarket system. So I have that money waiting for intercooler and charge pipe.

Hope ER gets around to more parts for the n20. I worked with them to make the DP. Hopefully I'll get the chance to help with something new.
Is there a link that shows a DIY for this?
(#571)
Old

Default 03-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@SG
Any one has gotten the Er charge pipe for the n20 yet? Or installed the FMIC? Any reviews?

Is n54tuning going to be carrying these?
I think I saw some info for new FMICs over at bimmerboost.
(#572)
Old

Car: X1 n20
Default 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morkusyambo
Is there a link that shows a DIY for this?
To do it with the jb4, watch the steering wheel control video posted by bms. print out the guid on the n55 install, it will tell you what setting to is to open and close the flap.

As for the golf tee mod. Your gonna have to search. I didn't do it. So can't tell ya.

Use the search bar above, or google . It's not hard to find. Lots of people have done it this mod.

2015 M235i Track Edition (1 of 50 in Canada)
-Custom ProTuningFreaks BM3 Tune (PTF Developer team)
-Dinan CF Intake, wrapped in gold heat tape from -Golidlocks Automotive.
- ER Charge pipes (H & C)
- GoFastBits Diverter valve
- MeaganRacing Solid Rear adj. upper Camber arms
- H&R Springs
- Dinan bumpstops
(#573)
Old

Car: Bmw
Default 03-18-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD
Dear Terry,

Practically, you have already deprived me from any email exchange - so it won't make much difference if you ban me from this forum as well. Which I'm certain you will do after what I have to tell you: your way of treating me is much below business standards I'm we are following here in Poland.

Good luck,

Piotr
+1 for banning, providing best power, stop asking stupid and idiotic questions. especially for different manufacturer fails. 58 years old/ because of people like you the whole world thinks that polish are stupid.
(#574)
Old

Car: F30 328
Default 03-30-2014, 12:29 AM

HI all any firmware update?
(#575)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Hello.

Did some runs today with my new Racelogic Performance Box"!
Car: F31 328xi Touring (leather, big sunroof, nearly full option...)
Electronic solenoid
******* DP, JB4 Map 2, OCC, 20" Aftermarket Rims
0-100km/h with JB4 off = 6.5 seconds
0-100km/h with JB4 Map 2 = 5.2 seconds
1/4 Mile with JB4 Map 2 = 13.6 seconds @ 101.28mph (163,4km/h)

This was my first runs, i will do some more later!
Are these times OK? I hope with el. wastegate control i will do times under 5sec?!

With kind regards

Last edited by GuMMiBaEr; 03-31-2014 at 11:32 PM..