N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default Phoenix Racing CP fitment - 06-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Just picked up a Phoenix racing chargepipe and Tial BOV. Trying to fit this thing in, and it just seems way too long. I can get the pipe to clamp onto the throttle body, but the opening between the CP and lower CP to the intercooler is only a few inches wide. The elbow provided is several inches long, and no matter how far I seat it onto the CP nothing will match up.

Add to that the elbow fits so tight on the CP once its on, you cannot move the clamps or adjust the angle of the elbow. Regardless, I've tried putting the elbow on the lower CP and tried to match it up to the CP and it didn't work. I tried putting the elbow on the CP and lining that up to the lower CP and it was still too strange of an angle to line up.

I don't want to put undue pressure on the CP where it meets the throttle body. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I cut the elbow and still maintain integrity of it?

(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-23-2018, 11:46 AM

It's tight and we have it this way so you don't have the chargepipe popping off.

The best way I do it is to clamp the bottom side of the coupler to down to the 2.5" pipe.

Then I put the chargepipe in and wiggle until it goes down enough and then turn up and match the flange to the throttle body.

If you FEEL you're having too much trouble and can't do it, you can trim a bit off the silicone if needed.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-23-2018, 02:22 PM

Elbow has to go on before you clamp in the CP. The elbow is longer to allow a greater clamping force and some adjustment for those running aftermarket coldpipes (to the IC). It just pushes over more or less of the CP as needed for length.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 06-23-2018, 02:33 PM

it's always that tight. All these various Tial flange CPs are made in China, likely by the same factory. The silicone coupling the all the same as well.

I installed number of these that go by various brand names. It always take brute force to get them on but they do go on.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Lol. Thanks guys for all the responses. I’ve seen some suggestions about getting grease or some type of lubricant to ease in aligning the ***** and bands. Would a silicone spray be okay? I just need to be able to move them once lined up. It’s just so tight, which I get, locks onto the pipe. Just need a little breathing room. Thanks for suggestions
(#6)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 02:20 PM

Just as an update, I did wind up getting it to fit without cutting it. Brute force was just not working, so got some spray silicone lubricant and put a bit on the ***** and the elbow. It allowed me to be able to easily attach them and allowed me to rotate them into the correct positions. Tightened down the clamps and all was golden.

Thanks for the suggestions.
(#7)
Old
Minor Diety

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-24-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfriez
Just as an update, I did wind up getting it to fit without cutting it. Brute force was just not working, so got some spray silicone lubricant and put a bit on the ***** and the elbow. It allowed me to be able to easily attach them and allowed me to rotate them into the correct positions. Tightened down the clamps and all was golden.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sometimes a little lube is all you need... (god that sounds so wrong LOL).

Glad all is good now

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#8)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Sometimes a little lube is all you need... (god that sounds so wrong LOL).

Glad all is good now

(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Yea, I always put a bit of motor oil on the silicone when it's a tight fit. Make's it so much easier and faster.

Burger Motorsports