JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e60 535i
Default dme failure or something else? - 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM

08 535i sport, completely stock, 85k miles. no warranty. car is babied most of the time

was driving the car, completely fine. went home for the night, woke up and it was shaking and misifirng,. just waiting thinking because it was colder than usual (high 80s the day before, high 40s when i went to start the car) was getting misfires on cyl 1,2,3, started to drive to see if itll go away and got the half engine light, turned around and went the half a mile back home.

switching them with 3,4,5 didnt move, change plugs, still same thing. (just to note, plugs 1-3 looks really black compared to 4-5 which looked basically new, since they were changed not too long ago)

ran the car in inpa (usually use generic scanner, and clear before every restart while i had this issue)

i have pasted the only codes in the system

12 DME/DDE OKAY 5 Error stored
30BA 61
29CD 92
29CF 92
29CE 92
29CC 92

i read that it could possibly be the fuses in the ecu box, i am about to check those now (if i can ever get the little cover off the fuse pack), but just posting up in case somebody else may have had this issue before. car is out of warranty, so all out of pocket time. if it is dme (if i have the one that is prone to issues), ill have to find somebody to order the mosfets and replace hopefully

sorry for the long post, just wanted to answer any questions before they were asked.

opinions?
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM

30BA can be mosfets or injectors.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-22-2017, 12:55 PM

just an update, tested the dme, all mosfets test fine. so im guessing injectors? is it common that all 3 injectors would go bad at once or could it be something else in bank 1
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Seems unlikely... Maybe check the power that feeds them? The 12v sources in the DME green connector. Also injector ground connections could be suspect.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM

will do. i found a guy parting a n54 locally so i was going to pick up the injectors tomorrow. however i will check those items before i go out throwing any more parts at them.

also i'm not sure if they correlate, but if i have the engine running...and i unplug 1-3 coil plug, nothing happens. no stutter or anything. switching them with 4-6 coils and no change. unplugging 4-6 (bank 2) each ignition coil causes loss of power.

lol this is so frustrating, right when i was going to start modding the car...i run into this.

at least i'm learning a bit.
(#6)
Old

Default 03-24-2017, 06:15 AM

checked the grounds they seem fine. i am going to open up the dme one more time and do another test, im getting suggestions to swap out the MOSFETs anyway, i just dont know if i should take the risk if indeed that isnt the issue.
(#7)
Old

Default 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM

an update, replaced MOSFETs in DME, no more 30BA code, that is a good sign.

car started up great, but within 20 seconds (i guess after warmup) RPMs dropped. car started shaking, noticed white smoke and "fuel pump..." error popped up on idrive dash. immediately shut the car down.

when i shut down the car, battery light came on (probably from all the starting/stopping/code reading over the last week)

charged the battery a little (like 2 minutes lol) started the car up and everything seems fine.

drive it around for about 20-30 minutes and no CEL, no misfires as far as i felt or reported in inpa. but one WOT pull, i got limp mode, code 30FF.

im HOPING its a vac leak.

cliffnotes: Was getting 30BA error on DME. all MOSFETs tested fine (my multimeter and electricians) replaced anyway, error gone. misfires gone. car runs fine.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-27-2017, 06:20 PM

LOL...nice work on the cliff notes and replacing the mosfets anyway.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.