N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: G70
Default Newbie - some questions in regards to tuning... - 05-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Hoping some of the below could be answered, I'm coming off of a 2012 WRX which I had tuned (programed OEM ECU) at a performance shop. I had an aftermarket ******** and intercooler installed, that's about it.

For the 3.3T AWD my tuning options likely will be 91oct. or 93oct. fuel (both with up to 10% ethanol).

So, I'm wondering what folks recommend for a tune and what other mods (intake, spark plugs, exhaust, etc.) are truly needed to benefit from the staged tunes for the fuel I can run? How easy is it to switch from one tune to the next? For example if I don't have to add other mods to benefit from a 1-3 stage tune that would probably be ideal. Maybe when warranty runs out I'd do more mods, but simple for now would be good.

This is a daily driver car for me, round trip no more than 50 miles. This car won't see too many long trips, but reliability is of course important, and the ability and ease of removing in case of warranty issues appeals to me.

Input/suggestions greatly appreciated!
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM

JB4 would be best.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

I picked up a JB4. I would only likely ever use Map 0 (stock), 1, or 2. Knowing I'll likely never see over 100MPH very often, it sounds like stock plugs and gapping will work for Map 1? Will they not work for Map 2 at all, or would stock plugs need to be gapped to 0.024" to allow for Map 2 to work?

From what I gather, no need to add other mods (exhaust, intake, BOV, etc.) for Map 1 or 2 to work up to its potential?

Also, once installed what parameters do I need to verify are set correctly (and how do I know what those correct parameters are)?

Thanks!

Last edited by Team Tonka; 05-13-2019 at 11:58 AM..
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tonka
I picked up a JB4. I would only likely ever use Map 0 (stock), 1, or 2. Knowing I'll likely never see over 100MPH very often, it sounds like stock plugs and gapping will work for Map 1? Will they not work for Map 2 at all, or would stock plugs need to be gapped to 0.024" to allow for Map 2 to work?

From what I gather, no need to add other mods (exhaust, intake, BOV, etc.) for Map 1 or 2 to work up to its potential?

Also, once installed what parameters do I need to verify are set correctly (and how do I know what those correct parameters are)?

Thanks!
Some users don't need to adjust the gap, others do. You can leave it on map 1 and enjoy the power gains. No need to set anything up, it's all ready to go once installed.

You can get a log for us to evaluate though.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Some users don't need to adjust the gap, others do. You can leave it on map 1 and enjoy the power gains. No need to set anything up, it's all ready to go once installed.

You can get a log for us to evaluate though.
Where would I find the directions/how-to-video on how to get a log for you to evaluate?
(#6)
Old

Default 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Where would I find the directions/how-to-video on how to get a log for you to evaluate?
On USB connection or mobile app?
If via a laptop, under Logging, click Start and then Stop when you are done. Then Export as a CSV file and save it.
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Connect via bluetooth or data cable to the JB4.

Once connected, click start logging.

Do a log from 2krpm till redline in 3rd gear with pedal at 100% for consistent data.

Once finished, if you're using the bluetooth device it will automatically save.
If you're using the data cable via laptop, you'll need to save at CSV file.

Burger Motorsports