N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreimer10
Another question that comes to my mind is......

How many of these people are WOT before the engine is in fact warmed up.

-customer picks up car from shop
-drives away and in 1 block goes wot
-man it feels good to have this beast back!
-spun bearing seizes a few miles later.

Maybe?
Definitely possible. I generally don't even go above 3000ish rpm until it hits 80-90* C.

2009 BMW 135i - Monaco Blue
(#52)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 05-12-2019, 12:08 AM

Same here, no boost until 160-180f!
(#53)
Old

Car: BMW 35i
Default 05-13-2019, 03:45 AM

+1. Imperative you wait until warmed up before getting on the throttle hard.

I did this religiously for years until about 18 months ago when I came out of a car park from cold and a Golf R32 joined my road from a junction behind me and started snaking around looking for an overtake.
I tried to restrain my right foot for a while then decided to just go for it to shut him up. Not only did I not leave him in my wake as i'd expected which really irked me but I flipped the bonnet when I got home and saw a smidgen of oil around my OFH which p*ssed me off further.
I did begin to pull away slightly at around 60ish but immediately had to stop because of traffic lights which was where we parted. Wasn't worth it as it was the beginning of the end for my OFHG.
(#54)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscales
+1. Imperative you wait until warmed up before getting on the throttle hard.

I did this religiously for years until about 18 months ago when I came out of a car park from cold and a Golf R32 joined my road from a junction behind me and started snaking around looking for an overtake.
I tried to restrain my right foot for a while then decided to just go for it to shut him up. Not only did I not leave him in my wake as i'd expected which really irked me but I flipped the bonnet when I got home and saw a smidgen of oil around my OFH which p*ssed me off further.
I did begin to pull away slightly at around 60ish but immediately had to stop because of traffic lights which was where we parted. Wasn't worth it as it was the beginning of the end for my OFHG.
Purely coincidental.
(#55)
Old

Car: BMW 35i
Default 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Come on Beast. Happy to learn something but without an explanation as to why it' purely coincidental and given that it did happen that way...
I know that it wasn't the sole cause (I was high mileage anyways so was always coming), but it surely didn't help.
Come to think of it most know not to get on the throttle before the car is warmed up but would be good to know the negatives from experience.
Premature engine wear is a given but my morbid curiosity wants to hear about fails due to doing it.

You killed my story by the way
(#56)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default I'm doing this... LED Blinkers, E93 - 05-13-2019, 03:03 PM

Hi Friends,

(by "I'm doing this", I mean I'm starting this thread, even if it's already out there!)

I think "LED" is too short a word to search for here, as it turns up nothing. (LED Blinker doesn't show up anything more)

Why LED vs non for me?
Safety/Visibility. I respect the sharp/sudden on and off, vs the getting brighter/getting dimmer of a filament bulb.
(my parents were nearly killed by an off duty cop in his pickup truck, when he ran straight into them, while they were at an intersection with their blinker on. his official response, "I didn't see them". It was a ****ty car with ****ty lights, but I do believe that more intense flashing catches the attention better)

I have LED DTRL. I had them in my last 335xi and liked them there too. Never had a burn out or issue.
I drive with my DTRL lights on all the time, so the 'blinking' (5 minute interval, during bulb check) has never been an issue for me.
Actually, as I think about it, as blinkers are not always on, they may do the 5 minute flash, so I'll just code that out.

I googled for LED lights on E93 and most of the threads I found were 2012 or 2014... boring.

So, as far as LED Blinkers go, I thought I'd ask here before I just buy something off Amazon that states they are wonderful, but I have no history on.

Sorry if this is an old subject for most... however I don't think I've seen this thread since I joined this forum.

I like stock or brighter.
Cost effective is nice, though I'm not going bottom barrel.
Life span should be at least 2 years, though good ones will likely last forever as a blinker. (heat is the main LED killer)

What are people running? Are you happy with them?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
TUNE: JB4 Map 1 | PUMP BEF | 94 Octane | @15 PSI
BMS: JB4 | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020
RB PCV Valve

Pending Install:
BMS WMI

Maintenance:
2018, Q2 - Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019, Q1 - Valve Cover Gasket | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Manually scrubbed Intake Ports w/ CRC Valve & Turbo Cleaner
(#57)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscales
I know that it wasn't the sole cause
My bad, carry on then.