N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M140I
Default M140 Clutch Gone??? :( - 02-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Wondered if anyone else on here with tuned manuals have had any problems?

M140I 30,000 miles, running JB4 and few bolt on mods around the 390whp and 410 wh lbft

Car is having a an error code saying transferable tourqe to low and clutch damaged. Clutch is slipping between 2-3k rpm when coming on boost.

Just wondered if anyone else had these issues, as far as Iím aware the clutch out these are the same as the 650i which is same power andmuch more weight !

Anyone elseís experiences would be appreciated as Iím playing with the fact of replacing like for like or spending a bit more and uprating
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 02-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upvcstore
Hi Guys,

Wondered if anyone else on here with tuned manuals have had any problems?

M140I 30,000 miles, running JB4 and few bolt on mods around the 390whp and 410 wh lbft

Car is having a an error code saying transferable tourqe to low and clutch damaged. Clutch is slipping between 2-3k rpm when coming on boost.

Just wondered if anyone else had these issues, as far as Iím aware the clutch out these are the same as the 650i which is same power andmuch more weight !

Anyone elseís experiences would be appreciated as Iím playing with the fact of replacing like for like or spending a bit more and uprating
I can't remember if BMW does or not, but do they not cover clutches, brakes, etc wear and tear parts under the maintenance coverage?

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#3)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340i
Default 02-28-2019, 06:36 AM

If you have a 17 or later vehicle with no maintenance package (ie brakes) BMW will not cover a clutch. I would try reverting back to stock and going to the dealer to see if they can goodwill it.
(#4)
Old

Car: M140I
Default 02-28-2019, 07:20 AM

To be honest I have no issue with having it done as I understand the risk and wouldn’t want bmw to fork out for a modified car. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues as don’t know if it’s worth upgrading the clutch on manuals when tuning
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
To be honest I have no issue with having it done as I understand the risk and wouldnít want bmw to fork out for a modified car. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues as donít know if itís worth upgrading the clutch on manuals when tuning
It's kinda hard to find manual folks these days as majority of the B58 models are 8 speed automatic. Hopefully someone does chimes in

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#6)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 02-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
To be honest I have no issue with having it done as I understand the risk and wouldnít want bmw to fork out for a modified car. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues as donít know if itís worth upgrading the clutch on manuals when tuning
I'm 20k miles in, no clutch issues (touch wood), had a bluespark on for 10k or so from about 3k, and then my JB4 since. If the clutch goes though I'd be looking at a sachs performance replacement.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340i
Default 03-01-2019, 06:16 PM

My 340i is a 6 speed. Absolutely no clutch issues so far
(#8)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
It's kinda hard to find manual folks these days as majority of the B58 models are 8 speed automatic. Hopefully someone does chimes in
Late to the party. My M240i is a 6MT and no clutch issues.

None of our responses mean much however, without shared context. I am not racing the JB4. I don't launch at 5k rpm at 16 psi regularly. I mostly go full WOT from 3rd to 5th gears, as this car is an animal even with boost limiters in the first 2 gears.

So if you ride the clutch hard, launch a lot, shift fast/hard, powershift, like to feather the clutch, etc it all matters.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane