N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 03-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Siblings

Family Photo

Before & After on the Valves

Flushed front and rear diff fluid, I hate the smell of gear oil.

Decided to give the XHP X-Delete a shot. It allows you switch between AWD and RWD, the flash takes about 90 seconds.

Removed F Driveshaft to ensure no parasitic loss

M5 door handle/trim and individual for the front door cards which are on their way

M5 rear sway bar, M5 brakes, and RWD rear hubs

Stock Vs M5

Got an alignment done

Replaced electronic gear selector with the late model SAT unit

After

Coded the vehicle order to reflect the upgrade gear selector ($205 -> $2TB). GKE215 wasn't showing up in WinKFP so I couldn't update the ZUSB with the faster SAT trans software but will do later.

A couple glamour pics, can't wait to build the front door panels

Dinan muffler was way too quiet IMO, it sounded like stock. Sold it and did a muffler delete with a Vibrant tip. More sound, more character, less weight, and left over money to pay for more upgrades

Replaced broken cargo floor handle

Replaced missing outlet plugs

Headlight gasket were UV damaged

New OEM gaskets

Replaced old OEM bulbs with Osran CBIs

Replaced broken headlight housing cap

With some fuel mixture codes popping up and one time specifying Bank 1 I decided to replaced the Bank 1 pre-*** O2 sensor. What a pain. Had to remove liners, drop subframe, remove engine mount and engine mounting arm to finally get a wrench on that mofo.
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yoXc_EHeGSmxGqfDte7xg-ecn0bbFvAadfolJIDz213ql5V***Pem59HxHbBw6UUpq0es2S-oyJ29xwwmGOW-jshs9lzGNJ3FIxi9ofzEDu1gix2IFb3vuFEGhuqf7O_PNJlL7q et053lPhe5Qa_0ZTICWpiKhkHvYJBYLtzLx6eMVeCJuTs8-_g8og6byPuLuhsFBkO-8k4JC5iMBHGW4Kr49Jdk7XwwlWXdGCZFaxs0bqJseunltrhhLc EwjVrUK3fvsSTPUVCUJwPUr83t8fpUNa4-3KbwAMbOVcuBjqz86m6d8ekZGKgwIZTX5g_ckLoIDHnW3z4cEz qTRsO89xYgHikoasBR8MppOfRqVu3pyUT9X-9V1cTdT3NXdtPMrqdZs-Ch_y4puU7KBybug5cXf5msdOkHdfgzvCyRl9qj8UR6XDALNWgh q4UkGQ_uW2HJnlH8qNsaqSJ78ALmaaAbEkjvufId-b4_ndmKRI8AMnAC5j-8lXibvZ_r0cK6eW9KZXlPpuwyMOE5s7aXU9Qo1A-dMzF3ZNwXh_uydMUz0eRBNAU80bCipppmej10kHUCW3Duuy0OZ H1jjwhE7KIVrTno65jxXRljlli5X46_4Xjuu0Rr0VxIrnIu6do YdAN5d5shWKCLWRlzwT3jED-kub_fdJ64Dq4CKQ7jdbC67nr-QRjhxfNkZBWoQJ1GkPjSHPPwfhUhZSV6bheEIPolw=w1303-h977-no[/IMG]

For good measure I replaced all charge-tract related vac lines. This is also not particularly enjoyable especially with banana hands like mine, the heat shielding on the engine bay closely resembles cheese graters.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 03-02-2019 at 04:53 PM..
(#27)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM

With the front subframe lowered to access the o2 sensor in the ********* I noticed the engine mounts are a bit tired. I replaced the passenger side mount. When my white E61 gets it's fresh new RWD subframe (waiting for KWs to arrive from Germany) I will swap the complete subframe over to this grey wagon. The subframe from the white wagon is in much better condition with low mileage mounts, control arms, etc.

Snagged 2 sets of E60 M5 calipers and a set of M Parallels (for my E39 Touring)

M5 brake conversion kit for a 535xi: rotors, calipers, and rear hubs

Rotors and pads came off the same very low mileage car and the calipers were cleaned and inspected, everything looks good.

Size comparison of the rear rotors

Stock fronts

As a Southern California car with brake cooling ducts and large rotors these brake shields make zero sense so they (and all other shields) were removed.

You will need M5 specific rotor bolts for the fronts. I can confirm with years of use that M5 rotors will work on non-M front hubs but the M5 hubs to have 2 threaded eyelets for screws and also a studs to help keep the rotors centered, FYI.
Stock Left M5 Right

Fronts mounted
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w7HMSLN_fc662623wUHdlFMx3PJIPehUbsvRO3nX6s_0kxsX0I xktUIPwbAzImcpzcr-cQsIe0HXT8***fwAFSBIFK-_gxaDL_1oz1Wc0rfdekoEgb1UVW3oU-r38Xwwb_23LZxKotuix595IfSsBpdWfQFjCRBDW83EKH323JlR HrYgsPqqw6L085rOf6vHSwXTFZPVEeKOfuGp0pIAk7PTlZI7nW 8xzx22xpeqEDlYp01gixMgXwG82L9P1yjXstGbXcIGW4ZQUQjW Br_5TwB3uwgMApV92DE249cUqsy-ofkmNt7aj-neC_gVvARs_NkqLVG-isQK8HmY1JhT-YgD-kGXHMK5nHy98p0uRsgmmTVtlkn0mJ_ZusA4qnWHW9A0wyh4kW9 grt8Ux9jLXI45wqDl3L3EKqJ-Cyy2N2CyffJRTh96ofHimdBovYKAUA0bc_N7iZAvPUuXSq6BKt NnILpBbx2tRwAeOQNl6ykQ67wahkalgPuDzptBM6-WnAjH81Cx3Zw68Me1SgPm0CA3LINYIeQNHa25QiFIjmQKG-nmt7V-1BNDX1zjJ-dtp900eA-M393TSUrMJfD-PBt7i0kcHLz3EMGigefNgeCZ0P-t4nHE2RtqUsvR-B8kBoKUvcJOgJ5HfRDo7Z595moqeZy4FnFYWKuzQEGtNXTnv3k 2Ugvcag9vsqvykJmtN7VWoGUwE1YWkxYxzeU_BZvFCw=w1303-h977-no[/IMG]

Annie nervous knowing how stubborn these rear axles/hubs can be.

Penetrating oil, 12 ton hydraulic puller, and a sledge to tap the hub. It's the recipe that worked for me when doing the rears on my white E61 and this got the right rear to release.

The left rear was much more stubborn. I used a torch to heat the hub up to about 400F to no avail. At this point my tools are a bit maxed out and the axles threads are damaged from the puller so I will remove the knuckle and have a local shop finish the deed.

I took a brake from the .....brakes.. LOL!!! and finished the front door panels.
Here are the donor panels I snagged off eBay.

Pretty good condition overall with some typical wear on the driver door handle

On my grey inserts you can see the top of the leather has been released like it came unglued.

Under further inspection it looks like this was a factory slip-up with not enough lather for the panel. The grey leather is about 10mm too short in contrast to the brown which full wraps around.

Driver door complete. Individual "Dirac" speaker grill showing off the upgraded DSP woofer and M5 door handle with padded leather is a nice touch to compliment the Nappa leather M sport steering wheel, and SAT gear selector. Nice surfaces to touch!

With the exception of black seat backs the custom OEM+ interior is complete. Very happy with how it came out.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#28)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Dinan muffler was way too quiet IMO, it sounded like stock. Sold it and did a muffler delete with a Vibrant tip. More sound, more character, less weight, and left over money to pay for more upgrades
Any chance you have a video of how this sounds? I've been thinking about it since I bought the car 4 years ago but never took the leap as it's my daily.
(#29)
Old

Default 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
Any chance you have a video of how this sounds? I've been thinking about it since I bought the car 4 years ago but never took the leap as it's my daily.
Wagon is on jack stands at the moment getting M5 brakes and other goodies, will try to get a sound clip later but in the meantime I am sure you can find a slew of E60 muffler delete videos on YouTube.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#30)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Wagon is on jack stands at the moment getting M5 brakes and other goodies, will try to get a sound clip later but in the meantime I am sure you can find a slew of E60 muffler delete videos on YouTube.
Oh duh. Thanks!
(#31)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Time to upgrade the brakes

M5 brakes + RWD hubs assemblies

Rotor comparison (rears)

Dust shields get the boot to aid cooling

You will need an M5 specific rotor bolt. 535xi left, M5 right

You can sneeze and the fronts will install themselves, I wish I could say the same for the rears....

Annie knows...

For whatever reason these axles are a real paint to remove. On my white wagon both rears required penetrating oil, a 12 ton hydraulic puller, and some "love taps" with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I got the right rear to release with this method and when I say release I mean an ultra violent *BANG*. The left rear was not as cooperative.

I played around with some heat, got it up to about 300F (which I know isn't that hot) and then decided to let the professional handle it.

I removed the spindle and took it to a local BMW indy, unfortunately they didn't find any success with their 20 ton press and lots of oil. Took it to another custom fabricator who was able to get a saw between the bearing and spindle to cut the axle tip in 1/2. Fine by me since all I cared about was the spindle.
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z6VDWauQGKweBJOK2d6nrfTLXy2SwPX1AgIflyGNJrY0J0k3XR A-0ZlwGgCl5_lejRlYHjjwtMne_gAJpyRp965W7pg0GLrsRIg*** tlTdIGpiNby_TKljPCitgfllQ7XizPXzMzRLZQNIkZMs9_IWRK 92ft5-4td7HxWbeFnlGfcYHOU2QcWaavcDZLvqgmF7hEHJLc5kVzuUQR fgLolpCGRvCppuTOM7FaRKDwFBcNt0z0hl_2wFdhLiLzm2gQtD g5qEPLHedTSDgEGJ3PMGnr1a83e48PZ17JAd5B82q51akionw_ sVsnQaxEjnd1ut9rstJ4UoAp7bBCyDMG2Ms-_SiNfcVH82eSVuXa5HL3WL3x9hYxzFzopLF9qscMZFKT3lCTXa ltMHPkzq0XdPTLCurvwvy_W-iwxxInUS8KlJ-juzAmSvJtnYSTR7hBdwaKZ3HYL10GscGFtwcfnfTTyxLWgFWhL _oCmvDl7CY_ZUbHZJOB9YetOyFJDgREr0QnKVojLVzltMBHX7k jv_qIScmtK9AmWUOaiUTZsAGZBDvF4_WItkPNhbxS5GrJuoxhZ VLtd_7ai-Me7zsqg3Lbcv1OJ9TN3-uuUPsj5qDQEK-wdbbkCzTEZJUFQG6-X9HQFAIi6wkhB2-33CmIsxuY_UP2rdxzVDiVIiI5p5mv_d1pjhXSpF1lDc90JwQjA 2bU-SxcCg8UDV59hNb8A7okNQ=w1304-h978-no[/IMG]

While the axle was making it's rounds at the shops I took the opportunity to execute some other upgrades and maintenance.
Replaced passenger engine mount

Flushed TC fluid

Replaced TC mount

New CSB
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/C63kJGgHyiynaB0c-g9uTZXvmaQIqIXGenXzB05CvALrQALnse5Fn8nx8rBRbOU3ZQa WTWyXhKQSci71Y2SPaZjKCH9ckCka19SB-tnn7PNEJpKxh5QsOI_t7IaBdqWlqVhqqvtVwJ6xeukoGKK6ObJ LsRHZ5p5oZX78v-46XNssTOy-ZI0-tGFSgFyOpm8hqDgpa6AdU4iZ_2_druLFjMqhSj8LJcGs0bN8nc cXNlifpiCK2MG83jAj5VTRMZWH6EfNcZnFGKgQUdKH0RNouaND 9KisEMZXTHxNEgsdVHuks6W1rAJU860gfIkS1NLsp2dh6EGBwA DrnLnQgDfGoyV_GKEEdracunRM0oExn94zNKAqGz2_3iAvJjt7 Re6rQvQMuENXnjRNBAVnxRZlULrbzLP71zVYY737CSMI1VQejD g0S4adBlWP1p7VEb4pUwwKypH36cWmLzk_XTkKLIt9qKgPmkWb AyqbSFZcYNQDJP82rwNphCeC6paCYYZqN241Aa_SB36SbbBvYO PHNZ6avfzo4TH6k0bD8V0Zfq5_UOgXE1Q2odGq9wAupbJRfRZ1 MS_DymLQbRCT94T1jwlL1GHSg5--68JDHMlkqiGjc1M6***bohuKmttkHyLz-kFKINC98on-0R2uFoSlwwhSxkdpGHxObpWeIhw2Jik5m5XFsT7TLCGlR5cGdr pv-n-3gVgh4JUdiLKb9KaDeUKnoA=w1304-h978-no[/IMG]

In the spirit of a clean OEM+ build the Vossens will be retired for some style 167 (M6) wheels which are coming off my E39, E39 has a set of M Parallels which are being refinished.

Personally I think these wheels look great on the E6X chassis, heck I think they look great on pretty much everything

As a bonus we will be saving about 10lbs each corner or unsprung and rotational mass!

For fun I threw the Vossens on the E39, excuse how horrendously filthy it is.

HHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Looks perfect but would rub like crazy

New control arms, upper guide arms, and (not pictured) ball joints

M5 integral links

Used my laser level to help with the control arm positioning.

Here is the difference between AWD and RWD hubs

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3TuVfiPZM1cHBuryLDDi75An1FVR_vCfbttrpTl5udAK72XNCt hSMUxIIikHYGvoMey6BsXvCD5pcg70XyzabvNin0hFoD65uS2q lLjTPUB2U5ost12rh_SE45K5RzVKT3cJDxzVYLmZ5kLsTG4tVp Quv6m0h7r62G7FF91vXWkqHM_p_GlAKYQL9cOCZxcSZHLJmzan AitMR7-Ohcd6OQ7PBeDeeqmuFkvyS43IfTA8kixhWAiUPfpsYHWESXqrZ i18VKYgGPuIOmeHaBp-tENhMqwK1JnEgdpJqXt1tyWRmuVi4lkdwsqQiblyQDIkjOqHzj eL***3dJRfrMfugepZgKmFwNg_LrSUV1Rp4CX8uiXhwzN_qfF-g8rULHZ4PII5cwPOwGTLLjeD6-s9h2zmO0fxZX7GcoPbYZpNYs1MTkHHovAY0cWVupslilcBVwQN 3apEd-t9-Cy7tNyeuPTJuVrgkseurPsNlCoct2-5tFY7QTQl97E6kg6nZdPvpr_oa5oyA2Q9NFGTBJSmY9_ANyHME lKA8tDXc-i6lrlkUfm89CMagwA-0UyH_TuUj7D4B86Qv5OiFs_Eie7oSfblyYX_tzVpNI7qLAUhUx 7dBNRRYXHwE2Y03BdfGzF6elQvP3K5qbQSE4RtmBmfawm5sraw 2lGSZF8PDVvm9-8zfyPlwKrZmFrDdYNKVAlwqRq94oFa3-YpwGIIh0nzOO9HZQ=w1304-h978-no[/IMG]

Cleaned up the spindles a bit

Cleaned all threads and mounting surfaces before assembly, fresh locktite

Original ball joints coming out

Surface prepped prior to install

New ball joints and M5 links installed

One axle died in the m5 brake upgrade and the other had ~130k on it. Luckily I had an extra set of axles with about 70k on them.

Bleeding brakes

I need to adjust the parking brake and rebleed the brakes but here is how she currently sits

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 04-01-2019 at 08:37 AM..
(#32)
Old

Default 04-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage Dog ready for some wrenching and sniffing

Cleaned and installed black seat backs, this completes the custom 2 tone interior!

Looking sharp!

On my white E61 I needed a RWD specific driver side engine mount so I transferred this mount over to the grey wagon, it only has a few hundred miles on it so it now both engine mounts are essentially new, the old ones were past their prime.

For the life of me I couldn't find one of the parking brake springs when reassembling everything after the M5 brake upgrade (the long one on left) so I was forded to buy the repair kit.

With the spring installed and parking brakes adjusted (stupid process, can't believe it isn't easier) it was time to re-bleed the brakes. BMW Dot 4 fluid, Motiv bleeder, the juggernaut Schumacher battery charger, and INPA software which bleeds the DSC pump as well.

Buttoned up, engine bay is very stock but very clean

The Grigio Telesto hides dirt incredibly well, better than any color I have seen, with all the wrenching on the wagons a wash was long over due, this was the 2nd time I have washed it in my ownership. lol

Got all the wagons together for a quick family photo

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#33)
Old

Default 05-21-2019, 07:16 AM

An overdue update but a lot of progress has been made. Really happy with how it's coming together.

Here are a couple pics showing the interior.

Inspecting the rear glass release button which doesn't actuate, hopefully it's only the button and not the wiring harness, no other tailgate related issues.

1 dog 3 wagons

The E39 got it's Style 37s which means the Style 167s are ready to go on Das Grau

Style 167 + E60 M5 brakes = WIN

Straightened the window trim which was bent by a careless body shop during disassembly, not perfect but much better.

Personalized plates arrived.

Rear bump stops needed replacing

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Pado2d5cUQ_d2H5XfTUG7J0HZVi937Fiah__0cT1suSt-hfL_jZlyq4hfxpATXBZz_iF4CLtz8K0ktTX7n0uJ9K3LbdzaXE WhBmcTw32az0AQBRNhxGX6mbLV3DFt1FVxMpXplHLP5JMySaqn 4OZ8bqgugVu1epWUtVRzRU9pcUVeHi-toKCcdeISl_utPKlFrhTCMbzwwUZVHKFFrWANhTosnUEeLKTcr VyG7BDU2yB1sx9gUUHsuxKN8Am0id7o9qFd39H92s0xnEPKAyZ OSu6YCxD338DwvvF3KC0lNnbyy8Kqky6KVuvL6vemZMTrKuRll d00fevFFVl2G4tTDJMctx1Vovk1xE5GQgYVo-1t6A3R8LC_kBuUfhWRuGmvSSNU43-y9qJX0ST04A3DtV69Xs_XGYQXRqhr18CYkmRKIClcYkZsFoGS3 VQd3dOh4gBNpTnRBqF0Wn_bXfT6ouQ85u9FMTyeyjQjl0u84XL lPYrjAWNTOwAVmZ0G_I8O53495eP3pGvxfp1ESBmaZlQUn_V2r GtOjFk0hrC3VmYRkgjUKUYskDc_phqIOnX7A5NGq2OsGg0tvxU YZVoqgBVmOjqupN9A68zXHjorIfiPsrYITjEM35UGOx3LTyJ0b dXTZBIJykkbfpoUoJLIv7_ku0caJOijLhSPdGHiSnabpl-_99RN1_ZX6VwvHx2c***XDtwDoz5LW-tpOPNlrOWqA=w1300-h976-no[/IMG]

Cleaned up the rear struts too

Windshield cowl was in rough shape so I installed the lightly used cowl from my white E61 (the white one got a new cowl

Pano roof had some issues, there was water ingress that warped one of the partitions and damaged the track, there were also some parts missing so instead of going down the deep rabbit hole of repairing the unit I simply replaced it. Thankfully I was able to find a local dismantler who had the cassette with the grey interior panels I needed.
Headliner and cassette removed.

New OEM weather stripping

Big difference

With the old stripping removed there was a nice amount of residual foam and adhesive to remove. Preferred technique: heat gun and a strong thumb.

All clean, you can see the OEM paint

Installing the new strippig was easy since the cassette was out but very tedious since if it wasn't installed just right you would be able to see the OEM paint at the seam which is a no-no, this made the install pretty challenging but the results are great.

Amateur hack: You can use the electric seats to hold and move the pano roof (headliner also) into position during install. This made the install reasonably easy considering I was doing it solo.

San Diego coming through with some timely rain for testing purposes! This thing operates as it should, no longer rattles from broken/missing pieces, and has hardly any wind noise!

Looking good

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#34)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Over The Top.
What movie or collector are you building these for? lol

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
TUNE: JB4 Map 1 | PUMP BEF | 94 Octane | @15 PSI
BMS: JB4 | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020
RB PCV Valve

Pending Install:
BMS WMI

Maintenance:
2018, Q2 - Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019, Q1 - Valve Cover Gasket | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Manually scrubbed Intake Ports w/ CRC Valve & Turbo Cleaner
(#35)
Old

Default 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Over The Top.
What movie or collector are you building these for? lol
This one is going on Bring a Trailer.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon: