N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2019 STINGER GT2
Default Coolant Temp 3.3L - 05-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Looking at my coolant temp in the JB4 app, it seems to hover in the 213-215F range at highway speeds (75mph+), under low load it will drop to around 200F. This seems high to me but I wanted to know what other people are seeing...
(#2)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 05-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
Looking at my coolant temp in the JB4 app, it seems to hover in the 213-215F range at highway speeds (75mph+), under low load it will drop to around 200F. This seems high to me but I wanted to know what other people are seeing...
Normal.

JB4 - HKS M40iL - AEM Intake - BMS TiAL BOV - VT Snorkels - Snow WMI - NGT Primaries - JUN BL Mid-pipe w/200cell HFCs & EVC c@t-back - Radium OCC x2
(#3)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger 3.3 GT AWD
Default 06-13-2019, 06:12 AM

I've noticed the oil temp gauge on the dash going up faster and higher than prior to installing JB4. This is a concern. Normal for the JB4?

2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD (3.3TT)
AEM Intakes
ARK secondary
TubiStyle mid-pipe and ExCU exhaust system
JB4 w/BT Connect
Denso plugs (gapped .022)
(#4)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 06-13-2019, 09:57 AM

I believe the temp that you see on the dash is trans temp.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz
I believe the temp that you see on the dash is trans temp.
It is.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspec1
I've noticed the oil temp gauge on the dash going up faster and higher than prior to installing JB4. This is a concern. Normal for the JB4?
Get your own thread!

(#7)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger 3.3 GT AWD
Default 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Sorry, it was early in the morning and I wasn’t awake yet.

2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD (3.3TT)
AEM Intakes
ARK secondary
TubiStyle mid-pipe and ExCU exhaust system
JB4 w/BT Connect
Denso plugs (gapped .022)
(#8)
Old

Default 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspec1
Sorry, it was early in the morning and I wasnít awake yet.

(#9)
Old

Car: Stinger GT1 3.3t
Default 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I see this is normal temps for the Stinger 3.3tt.

Of course if you're pushing the car it will generally make more heat so yes temps will be hotter, potentially, with tuning modifications. As long as you're not getting overheat warnings or coolant isn't spraying out of the radiator cap / surge tank, you're probably fine. You can always burp the coolant system for an hour or so to make sure there aren't any air bubbles trapped in there. After the dealer replaced my motor I was seeing high coolant temps and ended up having to burp 3 more times to get all the air out.

Also worth mentioning,I was able to lower IAT's and Oil / Coolant temp significantly by...

1) Installing secondary oil / coolant radiators from system-upgrade.co.kr
2) Wrapping my primary cats (not-stock) with titanium wrap
3) Wrapping my intercooler cold side / charge pipe (not stock) with fiberglass cold tape.
4) Bypassing the coolant line going to the throttle body.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-14-2019, 12:52 PM

@bal Any chance you can send me/PM me the steps on bypassing the TB coolant line?
(#11)
Old

Default 06-14-2019, 01:12 PM

Not much to bypassing the throttle body coolant line.

1) Remove both coolant hoses connected to the throttle body and from their connection points on the coolant rail.

2) Connect a new hose about 8-9 inches long between the connection points where the old hoses were on the coolant rail. You can use the existing pinch clamps (I used all 4).

3) Burp the coolant
Attached Images

(#12)
Old

Default 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Easy enough.

thank you
(#13)
Old

Default 06-14-2019, 02:47 PM

I noticed something recently that when it's greater than 95F outside my average coolant temp drops to about 185-190F. It's cooled off since this happened the last time but when it warms up again I'll look for it.
(#14)
Old

Default 06-21-2019, 01:29 PM

So yeah, 99F today and coolant temp is consistently 183-195F all conditions. When it's cooler outside, 205-217F... wondering how this is...
(#15)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bal
Not much to bypassing the throttle body coolant line.

1) Remove both coolant hoses connected to the throttle body and from their connection points on the coolant rail.

2) Connect a new hose about 8-9 inches long between the connection points where the old hoses were on the coolant rail. You can use the existing pinch clamps (I used all 4).

3) Burp the coolant
Would it work to just cap the connections on the rail?

Also, how do you burp the coolant?

JB4 - HKS M40iL - AEM Intake - BMS TiAL BOV - VT Snorkels - Snow WMI - NGT Primaries - JUN BL Mid-pipe w/200cell HFCs & EVC c@t-back - Radium OCC x2
(#16)
Old

Lightbulb 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR Stinger
Would it work to just cap the connections on the rail?

Also, how do you burp the coolant?
I would imagine capping it would be fine if you have caps that would fit over the hose nipples (not nipple clamps though, save those for the bedroom LOL).
I went the hose route because I had the hose already and the clamps were free.

To burp the coolant, attach a burp bucket (spill-free funnel) to the radiator, fill it half-way with coolant, turn the heater all the way to it's hottest setting and the fan on the lowest setting. Let the car run for about an hour, or until all of the bubbles stop coming up into your funnel. When I added an additional coolant radiator I had to burp the Stinger 3 times about an hour each to get all the air out, but since the throttle body bypass is displacing so little coolant you shouldn't need to do it that long.

You should do this process any time you do maintenance that involves coolant, other than just topping it up. Replacing a hose, water pump, radiator, etc. all will cause air to get into the system, which can cause overheating or water pump failure and ,in general, l reduces the efficiency of the cooling system. Even from factory before mods there was quite a bit of air in the system, so not a bad idea to do every or every other oil change.

If you need visuals, here's a short youtube video.

Burping The Cooling System - YouTube

The burp bucket kit was around $20 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Radiat...-1-spons&psc=1
(#17)
Old

Default 06-21-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
So yeah, 99F today and coolant temp is consistently 183-195F all conditions. When it's cooler outside, 205-217F... wondering how this is...
It all depends on air flow. When I'm idling at a drive through or light for a while my IAT's and coolant shoot up 30 degrees easy but as soon as I start moving they're back to about 10 degrees over ambient. Same with coolant. 217f isn't bad, 250f would have me a bit worried.
(#18)
Old

Default 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bal
It all depends on air flow. When I'm idling at a drive through or light for a while my IAT's and coolant shoot up 30 degrees easy but as soon as I start moving they're back to about 10 degrees over ambient. Same with coolant. 217f isn't bad, 250f would have me a bit worried.

No, I'm talking about 80mph down the highway for 40 miles temps. When the temp outside goes over 95F my coolant temp drops 25-30F. I have never seen this before in a car, but mine does this. Every time.
(#19)
Old

Default 06-22-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
No, I'm talking about 80mph down the highway for 40 miles temps. When the temp outside goes over 95F my coolant temp drops 25-30F. I have never seen this before in a car, but mine does this. Every time.
I understand your concerns, but it is definitely normal for the Stingers, esp in warm climates. Had the same worries myself. I also live in a warm climate so one of the first things I did after installing the JB4 was burp the factory coolant, and install secondary oil/coolant radiators, which lowered temps about 30f. You should try burping the coolant with the instructions I posted above, I had quite a bit of air coming out from factory which can decrease coolant efficiency. If you're still concerned about it, you can go the secondary radiator route. I've got a lot of mods, including methanol, intercooler, etc which do help with temps overall and have made this a very solid drag / gt car pushing it to the limits. Not saying any or all of it is necessary for you but if temps and runs at the drag strip in the heat are important for you, it's worth looking in to some additional mods to support the tune.

Performance: BMS JB4 w/Fuel Wires and WMI (2gal) | BMS Pedal Tuner | HKS 45il Plugs @ 0.25 | Borla S-Type Catback| Ultimate Performance Cats w/***, titanium wrapped (secondary *** delete) | Injen Intakes | HKS SQV Blow-off valves | Tork Oil Catch Cans | Ultimate Performance Garrett Core FMIC w/3" charge pipe (cold tape wrapped) | Secondary Oil Radiator | Secondary Coolant Radiator | Big Bore Throttle Body w/Coolant Bypass) | Billet Water Pump Pulley

Body / Suspension: Ark DT-P Coilovers | Eibach Front / Rear Sways | WP Pro Front/Rear Suncut Rotors | Subframe Bushings | Ultra Racing USA Subframe Braces (Front / Rear / Mid) | BMS Diff Brace | CF Rear Decklid w/Spoiler | CF Hood | CF Rear Hatch | CF Engine Braces | 20x10.5 Rear 20x9 Front Vertini wheels with Nitto NT555 G2 (285/30/20 + 245/35/20)
(#20)
Old

Default 06-22-2019, 03:54 AM

If 215F is normal, okay. If 185F is normal, okay. How can both be normal? I'm just curious as to what mechanism causes temp to drop 30F when it gets hot outside or vice versa.

Your post above makes sense if temp was going up when it gets hot outside, but it's not. IT'S GOING DOWN.
If you think the car needs to have the coolant burped every oil change there's a problem that's being overlooked.

Also, although I can appreciate a good launch, I find drag racing mostly B O R I N G. Give me a good road race all day long. I'd build a GT3 car out of the Stinger... hehehe