N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 04-04-2019, 07:37 PM

Further... I know that to make my setup happy, I had to keep about 1 to 1.5 psi away from target. Otherwise, I got closures. There are times, at rpms below 3500, where I have about a 2 psi difference and then again at rpms above 6000 it's the same. I did this to keep FUA at 0 and FF still within range. We may have to do the same with you. It will look low when compared to target, but the curve will be smooth and consistent. On my setup, I achieved that and then I started raising additive until I achieved the boost I wanted. Target is always higher, but I never reach it. The cars happy and pulls like crazy. 3rd gear is always popping loose and so does a little bit of 4th, but I'm an automatic so it's not the same ratios. Still... I'd expect your 3rd to be getting loose. If I turn DCT to fully OFF, my car will loose control in 3rd and some of 4th. Enough that I don't like fully disabling it at all.
(#52)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 04-05-2019, 03:51 PM

I'm getting you. You read my mind, I was going to ask how you keep your FF from getting too high!

As an experiment, I did a log on Map 5. With meth and boostane, I didn't see any issue with trying this map despite no exhaust mods.

Kept all your same settings, except Meth trigger mode to 1 to make the meth flow on 5. Check this log out. I can't figure out why Map 7 misbehaves but Map 5 feels good. On this map, the car does not pull timing and the throttle stays under control for the most part. Thus the power yield on 5 is far superior to 7, even with lower boost. I can't explain it?!?!?

Obviously 5 has a lower overall ceiling than your Map 7 setup properly tuned so I am not giving up on 7, but just showing this log to give an idea? Maybe it's a question for Terry? What's the difference in the tuning and targeting between the two??
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190405_1324_MAP5_FUA10_FOL20_METH_BOOSTANE.csv (32.7 KB, 11 views)

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#53)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM

MHD BEF will resolve your issues

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#54)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Bimmergeeks has been abnormally bad at shipping cables. I’ve been waiting a long time.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#55)
Old

Default 04-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
I'm getting you. You read my mind, I was going to ask how you keep your FF from getting too high!

As an experiment, I did a log on Map 5. With meth and boostane, I didn't see any issue with trying this map despite no exhaust mods.

Kept all your same settings, except Meth trigger mode to 1 to make the meth flow on 5. Check this log out. I can't figure out why Map 7 misbehaves but Map 5 feels good. On this map, the car does not pull timing and the throttle stays under control for the most part. Thus the power yield on 5 is far superior to 7, even with lower boost. I can't explain it?!?!?

Obviously 5 has a lower overall ceiling than your Map 7 setup properly tuned so I am not giving up on 7, but just showing this log to give an idea? Maybe it's a question for Terry? What's the difference in the tuning and targeting between the two??
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The DME BT and ECU BT are acting properly in this log. As you've stated, you're stuck in map 5 with the amount of additive. Map 7 should work the same way. If it would, you'd be fine and able to raise the additive to achieve more boost/power. I'm almost questioning what the JB4 is doing.
Attached Images

(#56)
Old

Default 04-05-2019, 05:12 PM

The same applies to my Map 7 when tuned the same way, but I'm able to get additive up to 60 for max performance. As you can see, it's similar to your map 5 logs. This is truly weird. It's almost as if the JB4 is acting up.
Attached Images

(#57)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Iím not the only one reporting throttle closures with the B58/JB4 combo. So I donít know that itís my unit. Map3 and Map5 are so good. But Iíve felt Map 7 when it decided to run right and man itís unbelievable. Iím going to try the BEF when my cable arrives but until then Iíll keep trying to replicate your results. MHD also has their own maps but thatís a more expensive route and I suspect the JB4 + BEF will be a better overall combo, and likely safer.

(#58)
Old

Default 04-07-2019, 04:01 PM

The B58 is so different across everyone's vehicles. The canned maps seem to do well, but WMI and Map 6 can tend to be tricky when trying to tune. I've noticed this over several other's posts. The BEF should help as it's likely being caused by the DME nannies kicking in. For some reason, they are happy with my setup. I have had them creep in before though and there's closures. Generally, it's solid though.

I'm also waiting for the BEF to get ironed out and I'll be upgrading. I'm not really looking for more power at this time, just a more consistent/solid setup. We learned a lot across this post and we got things close. If you'd like, we could always try Map 6 to see if we can get absolute targets working better? We'd just enable WMI on it and go from there.
(#59)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-07-2019, 04:09 PM

dRDeisel and I joined MHDs beta test for B58. Terry emailed me a meth-specific BEF I’m going to flash tomorrow (assuming cable arrives). It’s designed for Map 7 so I’ll post the logs here, and to the BEF thread, and we can compare them to my current results. I’m sure we can all benefit from more results and testing. Let’s see where the BEF takes us and go from there. If I need to try Map 6 I am willing. You’ve been so helpful and I’d love to keep both getting and offering advice. Can’t thank you enough.

(#60)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-09-2019, 05:48 AM

My Latest progress with BEF here: N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion - View Single Post - B58 MHD Back End Flash Maps

Timing low still so more testing needed but the throttle plate is fixed.

(#61)
Old

Default 04-09-2019, 09:13 PM

I took a look. Definitely better on throttle closures, but timing is low. I reviewed the first logs at higher additive and can see timing drops as well. I know that the BEF is still in Beta and being tweaked. Obviously can't make any judgements yet. Definitely like that FF is more reasonable and closures seem better controlled. Only time I see a hint of closure now is when you're actually over boosting. Good times... good luck... keep us posted.
(#62)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-10-2019, 05:01 AM

Terry thinks I need more octane for the BEF I’m running. With boostane already giving me 98, it’s making me think I have a bad can or something. Or mybe my measurement was off. We’re going to try higher meth mix first. He’s still tuning the map, too.