N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default M240 - Dialing in meth - progress made - 03-11-2019, 05:15 AM

I posted yesterday that after months of off and on tinkering, I've managed to find settings that allow me to run Map 7 that avoids the DME BT wobble which causes hesitation during acceleration at WOT.

I did not want to set a negative dutycycle offset through FUA since it costs you power and doesn't always smooth things out, nor did I want to lower the additive to the point where the gains were too low to necessitate meth anyway.

At any rate, others were using FOL values that were very low, which seemed a hint in the sense that it was easy to trip against the dreaded DME IPW limit if your boost got high, so adding more fuel via the main tank was not the way to go. Also, reading this post: JB4 Duty Bias FF Tuning Info - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
was extremely informative in how FF and PID work together.

So I settled on trying to get the car as much fuel as possible through the meth TBI rather than the main tank. My settings so far include:
- 100% meth
- FF wires to allow FOL adjustment
- FOL of 20 (20 as opposed to 10 to help with trims)
- PID gain of 15
- Meth Additive 40, kick-in at 3500 RPM
- EWG connector back in place to help with overboost
- 93 octane only in the main tank - no ethanol

I set FF to 50 and it's been learning down (it's down to 1). Boost seems right on target after initial spool mode, and just a little over in the early part of the runs, but throttle closures reign it in. Trims seem reasonable, although timing seems low to me (I'm no timing expert though).

Starting to feel happy. Any other tweaks? I would like to try to raise the additive after a few more runs like this.

Here is the latest log, made yesterday night.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190310_2030_Map7_EWF_FOL20_METH.csv (38.9 KB, 55 views)

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 03-11-2019, 12:50 PM

I would try this:
PID gain: 10
FOL: 50
FUA: 10
Additive: 40
FF: 50 (you have to do like a few 3rd, 4th, and going into 5th gear runs for it to really relearn)
W/M starting: 8.1 psi
W/M RPM: 3000

You're hitting target, but you can see throttle closures and the DME BT is dropping and your fuel trims are maxed out for too long and that's because FOL is set too low. JBoe runs his FOL lower and i run mine at 50, but every car reacts different so we just gotta find that sweet spot to dial your car in and also the MHD back end flash will resolve all your issues in the near future. I attached my log below so you can see a good example of how it should be running with meth hitting 19* of timing by redline and targeting around 20-21 psi of boost.

Another thing i noticed on your W/M install page is the kinked meth line. I know you tested it, but hey you know never know maybe try to install it in a way so it's not kinked.

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |

Last edited by dRDiesel; 03-12-2019 at 11:35 PM..
(#3)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM

I agree with your general analysis about timing and think the result could be much more impressive with better timing, yes. I tried your settings (exactly as you mentioned them) and the JB4 crashed into Map 1 with a drivetrain error before I could take a log. These are all pretty normal settings so I don't have any idea why. I'm going to try again this afternoon and post up a log.

FWIW, there is very good flow (even through the kinked line) to the CM7 nozzles. I removed the line and flexed it out a bit just to be on the safe side, however.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#4)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
I would try this:
FOL: 50
FUA: 10
FF: 50 (you have to do like a few 3rd, 4th, and going into 5th gear runs for it to really relearn)
W/M starting: 8.1 psi
W/M RPM: 3000

You're hitting target, but you can see throttle closures and the DME BT is dropping and your fuel trims are maxed out for too long and that's because FOL is set too low. JBoe runs his FOL lower and i run mine at 50, but every car reacts different so we just gotta find that sweet spot to dial your car in and also the MHD back end flash will resolve all your issues in the near future. I attached my log below so you can see a good example of how it should be running with meth hitting 19* of timing by redline and targeting around 20-21 psi of boost.

Another thing i noticed on your W/M install page is the kinked meth line. I know you tested it, but hey you know never know maybe try to install it in a way so it's not kinked.
I really appreciate the help here, I'd like to start with that.

My car just really does not like these settings. DME BT wobbling is back with these settings. I spent some time doing runs and getting as much FF/WG adaptation as possible before posting the following log. I also made sure the IAT was warm and meth was flowing just to rule out temperature. Some pulls are "too short" but there is plenty of evidence of wobble regardless, and there are some later pulls in the log that go near 7k in 4th gear ... so it's a decent log.

Oddly, timing registers as 0 for parts of some of these pulls. (Check second pull for instance) I have 6-cyl logging and it's 0 on all of them. Timing starts to pick up for a bit in some pulls, but as soon as timing starts to pick up, the throttle closes, the timing drops, boost drops, etc. etc. It's just bad.

I'm going to have to go back to a lower FOL and see if I can improve off my previous "good" runs by trying to lower trims. This car is not the same as a 340; it has the M Performance tune and I think that matters for some reason. JBoe has this car and also uses a lower FOL. Also I have a 6MT. Shouldn't matter but maybe there are differences between that and an auto.

edit: just added a second log, from yesterday (older than first one). Adaptation hadn't fully settled, but the overall behavior is similar. Just wanted to provide more datapoints.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190313_0952_Map7_EWG_FOL50_METH.csv (47.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: csv 190312_1904_Map7_EWG_FOL50_METH.csv (21.7 KB, 33 views)

(#5)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 03-13-2019, 10:35 PM

Here's what I see, based off your first log/post.

1) Your tuning the B58 as if it were N54/N55 for target/boost.

The B58 mapping doesn't like this kind of tuning, in my opinion. From the best logs I've seen you want to stay about 1-1.5psi away from hitting target. When you hit target the throttle closures start as the DME tries to manage boost levels. This is correct, as the car uses the throttle to control over-boost situations. Timing will also get an impact during these closures, as seen on the logs.

The first pic is your map, second is mine... for comparison of boost to target mapping. Mine isn't perfect but it shows that if you stay under target, you'll reduce the closures. With less closures, the ECU/DME will learn-in and you'll see timing start to be increased. The little B58 that could, will be happier.

Same can be seen in ECU PSI vs DME BT. Third pic is yours and fourth is mine. Again, as you get close to DME BT levels or exceed them... throttle closure.

2) dRDiesel is 100% correct that our vehicles aren't equal.

Where you live, factory assembly, fuel supplier, etc... all change the vehicle dynamics. Don't focus on my parameters or anyone else's. Focus on their logs/results and what they are showing you.

Timing is a learned/tuning process that the ECU/DMT only provides when happy/correct. Let's get you to that place and you'll see so much more than ever before.

3) Trims and FOL have to be balanced to keep you safe, but also to keep you from hitting fuel limits where DME BT will reduce.

Again, my experience and review of other logs has shown that the B58 likes to be above 30 on trims. Obviously you need to stay below 49-50 for any extended period as that's maxed out. Fifth pic is your trims and the sixth is mine. I think you're a little rich, especially when 100% meth is injecting. What I see is that you may be injecting too late. You've gotta get it in there before peak boost is accomplishable and prior to peak torque curve area. This helps to get you stable through the load and not playing catchup. I'd start at 2500rpm and 9psi. Also, try FOL at 10.

4) Meth Safety - Currently you're on 0.

That means the JB4 is adjusting the additive boost based on meth flow and historic timing. In your current condition, it's not helping your timing and additive. If you are solid on your Octane level of 93... you can try changing it to 1. This will adjust additive boost based on meth flow only. Timing will be allowed to roam free. Before going to this step, you'll need to get the throttle plate under control a bit more... as described above.

I'm not as active as I'd like to be on the forum. Too much work lately. lol. This is a lot of information and it's based on what I've experienced and what I've seen in the various logs posted by other members. Please don't rush into action after reading it all. The real trick is to take it one step at a time. Don't try too many changes. Start with one goal and go from there.

First, get the throttle more under control and only active during shifts by keeping boost levels slightly under target. This may make you slower at first, but as FF learns in and timing goes up... you'll see things stabilize and become happy. Second get trims in order... sometimes as you're doing the first task, you'll have to do this second one to keep everything happy. Once you've got it dialed in at 40 additive, try going to meth safety 1 setting. See where it gets you after a bit of driving and long pulls through the gears. Then it's time for increasing the additive and watching trims as FF learns in.

Post your logs and we'll help along the way. Again, this is a longgggg read. My apologies on that. I hope it helps... it's what worked for me.
(#6)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 10:39 PM

Pics 1 and 2...
Attached Images

(#7)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Pics 3 and 4...
Attached Images

(#8)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 10:41 PM

Pics 5 and 6...
Attached Images

(#9)
Old

Default 03-13-2019, 10:44 PM

In summary:

I would try this:
FOL: 10
FUA: 0
W/M starting: 9 psi (8.9)
W/M RPM: 2500
Meth Safety 0 to start... 1 after throttle closures and timing numbers improve.
Limit Boost in 1st to 15psi. (Avoids tranny errors)
Limit Boost in 2nd to 17psi. (Avoids tranny errors)

Last edited by JBoe; 03-13-2019 at 10:57 PM..
(#10)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-14-2019, 07:44 AM

Wow, that is really excellent analysis. Much appreciated. I have been trying to get that throttle under control since "Day One" of when I went to WMI. It has always been my goal, but I haven't been able to, largely because of overboost. You are spot on, it goes something like this:

Boost builds up fast during spool mode
Boost exceeds target
Throttle closes to reign it in
Boost drops substantially (along with timing)
Cycle continues (catch-up mode, as you call it), as boost builds again and DME BT wobbles/throttle closes.

I have found, as you have, that lower FOLs work better with this motor. FOLs of 20 and 10 help.

One piece of insight I just gleaned from your post is that trims may actually be too *low* in places. Thank you for that. Honestly I am not sure how to consistently keep trims between 30-45 as you have done so effectively. This is the first time that being "too rich" has been identified. The part I did not understand as well is why injecting the meth earlier might help with that. You explained it, but I didn't understand - doesn't the meth mixture make it richer? I had assumed the AFR measurements and trims included the effects of WMI injection so they include the meth additive's effect. Maybe I'm wrong.

I certainly will try your settings (they are close to mine). I do have the EWG connector so I could try a FUA setting, but I have always preferred 0. So will leave it there for time being, as you have. Will lower FOL to 10 from 20. I'll also adjust the WMI settings.

The attached log is just from one 30-minute drive after making the changes recommended, so FF has not had a chance to relearn much from 50 (it's down to 40, which seems like the right direction). Just FYI. I will keep doing logs incrementally.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH JBOE!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190314_0944.csv (11.8 KB, 33 views)

(#11)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Two more logs from this afternoon, after a lot of FF learning. The car is starting to feel a little better. Same settings as JBoe recommendation. Throttle plate not clean yet but saw some advance start to pick up in the end of the last pull from the first log (just before redline).
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190314_1749.csv (23.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: csv 190314_1826.csv (10.6 KB, 36 views)

(#12)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM

And another short log from this morning (3/15) after the car had warmed up. No changes to settings at all, and yet the wobbling is more evident this morning than it was in the afternoon. Just providing additional data points.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190315_0953.csv (8.7 KB, 29 views)

(#13)
Old

Default 03-16-2019, 11:13 PM

To answer your question about the meth onset and cars fuel is a bit complicated. Turbocharged tuning has some very unique tuning aspects involving timing, fuel and boost spikes. Adding to that, on the B58, there's high compression, direct injection, and lean/stoic tuning principles. The easiest way I can think to explain is that we're trying to react first, before the DME/ECU does, in order to make it less reactive to the increased boost demand we're placing upon the engine. Remember, while we're increasing boost we're also fooling the car's DME/ECU into thinking we haven't. Any time it catches onto us, it will react negatively. This makes it difficult to tune and keep it happy. However, if we can get it to work, it can be very rewarding.

I've looked at all the logs and I'd like you to make the following changes. It's a bit of work, but I believe it will help get us back on track.

1) Remove the EWG harness and put bias settings back to stock/default setpoints. (10,15,20,25,30's)
2) Put Boost Safety at 26. (Default Setting)
3) Go back to 50/50 on WMI.
4) Leave all other settings where they are at.

Get at least a dozen good pulls in and then let's see a few logs. Ensure the car isn't overly hot from consistent pulls. May be best to break this up... one day learning, next day warm up and log some pulls. Once I see those logs, we'll go from there. Stick with this plan and I'm confident we'll get you back on track quickly.
(#14)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Thanks much again.

I had come to a similar conclusion about the meth mixture. With the tank running low, flow was reduced to about 60-80 and I noticed much smoother pulling.

So I’ll switch the meth mix. I didn’t think the custom bias settings were active on map 7 but no harm in changing those too.

Thanks again!

(#15)
Old

Default 03-17-2019, 11:36 PM

NP... I look forward to seeing the new logs. Bias should be active on all additive/absolute maps. Just disconnect EWG and return boost control to stock. There shouldn't be a need for it at this stage. It may be used later though. I simply want to eliminate as many variables as possible to get tuning back on track.

Also, it appears our stock turbo exceeds its efficiency around 21psi. Past that, gains are minimal and consistency is harder to achieve. Fuel limits are also an issue at that level. Let's get you to consistent 20psi range at least. From there you'll have to either be satisfied or looking for more advanced tuning and power adders.
(#16)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-18-2019, 11:47 AM

I'd be happy even at a consistent 19psi with proper timing, so 20 is perfectly adequate for now. I've read the posts about what Terry put down on the dyno with a 340 and meth back in the day.

Not only did I not think the bias settings mattered outside of Map 6, I also thought that without EWG, they did not apply. Just shows what I know.

I have returned the meth mix to 50/50 and you will see those logs shortly. I will then adjust the bias as you said and log again. Then I will remove the EWG and log again. I will be doing this to get you as many scientifically valid data points as possible! Your help is invaluable.

(#17)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-18-2019, 05:07 PM

3 logs attached at WMI 50/50. Did not reset duty bias to default, that will be next. Did many pulls yesterday (unlogged) to JB4-learn a bit.

One thing that is obvious in a side-by-side: trims are up with the 50% mix as compared to the 100% to 80% mix. That is expected given less meth. Boost is also now at, or below target most (but not all) of the time, which was a goal of ours I think?

Unfortunately, the wobbling is the worst I've felt in a while. DME BT wants to drop after only 11 to 12 psi in these logs. In previous logs, it happily went as high as 15 to 17 psi.

Will stick with the mix and change the bias settings back to default and send up more logs as instructed. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190318_1913_50METH.csv (25.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: csv 190318_1920_50METH.csv (23.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv 190318_1936_50METH.csv (34.7 KB, 34 views)

(#18)
Old

Default 03-18-2019, 10:35 PM

FF is still learning. There are spots in the log where the pull is starting to clean up, but FF is still on the rise. For me, it took several days to get FF dialed in. Everyone claims it can happen over several back to back pulls, but it's never done so for me. It would seem that the B58 is too temperamental to allow such a quick tune function. lol.

I definitely like seeing the timing starting to return. There's some drops, but it's with throttle closures trying to moderate boost. Definitely get the EWG disconnected and the settings back to stock. Also, put the boost safety at 26... you're still at 25.

Be patient and don't rush this. It's going to take some time for the DME/ECU to adjust as well. JB4 is just a piggyback unit. While it has control over a lot and can be tuned/updated in seconds, the DME/ECU takes a lot of time to re-learn. It should start to balance out. Thus far, I like what I'm seeing and it looks like we're heading in the right direction.

Adjust bias, remove EWG connection and set boost safety to 26. Get a good mix of half to full throttle driving for a bit. Cool down and then redo with some more logs.
Attached Images

Last edited by JBoe; 03-18-2019 at 10:42 PM..
(#19)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-19-2019, 07:17 PM

Here's a log from today after returning duty bias to defaults and raising boost safety back to 26. I waited until later in the day to log, to allow for some more learning - but today was not a good day for pulling. So FF is probably still learning. Lots of pulls, none as long as I'd have liked.

The power is much stronger to me, and I am seeing and feeling some timing, and trims might be better in places. But it wobbles/hesitates very much. From a hesitation standpoint, this is as bad as I've seen it.

If this log is inadequate to draw any conclusions from, that's ok, I'll put up another tomorrow.

The last thing I haven't yet done is remove the EWG. That needs some time, but in the meantime, I'll continue to log, observe, and try to get FF and DME to learn.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190319_1940_50METH_DEF_BIAS.csv (44.7 KB, 32 views)

(#20)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 07:38 PM

I definitely see FF still learning, but it's only getting jumpy in 3500+ rpm range as it's trying to real in the over boost. Obviously the throttle closures mirror the same, but they look like they are improving overall.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe setting Duty Bias to 0 across the range is basically inactivating the EWG. Boost will be back to stock control. When you changed the settings back to the default, which are much lower than what you originally had entered, I'm seeing boost starting to fall in line better to target. When it does, timing is starting to come back in. We're getting closer.

Try setting all bias to 0 and relearn/relog. Overall, FF is stabilizing so this adjustment may just be the assist it needs to get things back in control. Trims are also doing better as is DME BT to ECU comparisons. The harshness is from the boost spikes/closures, but overall it's getting better according to the log. Just need a little more...

Bias all to 0 and re-do.
Attached Images

(#21)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-19-2019, 09:26 PM

My understanding from an old post by Terry (see my first post in this thread for the link) is that Duty Bias of 50 is same as 0 which I think is off, yes. Mathematically it would make sense given his formula. I had it at straight 50s yesterday before resetting to defaults. Nonetheless it won’t hurt to set it to 0 so I will.

Glad we are seeing improvements; will try and get up some longer logs tomorrow.

(#22)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM

More logs, this time with duty bias at 0. So now, we have meth safety at 26, all duty bias settings at 0, and 50/50 WMI. (FOL still 10)

You might find it interesting that FF has learned all the way up to its max of 150 and these logs were based on that. When I ran the 100% meth, FF was learning way down, and it almost went as low as 1. Just another datapoint for us.

The car still does not feel smooth, but there was one run that was terrific - it's the last 3rd to 4th pull in the FIRST log. Otherwise, the DME is still closing the throttle more often than not.

Thanks again very very much!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190321_1402_50METH_0BIAS.csv (16.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: csv 190321_1354_50METH_0BIAS.csv (9.8 KB, 32 views)

(#23)
Old

Default 03-21-2019, 11:07 PM

Looks like things are getting happier. Your timing is starting to improve a lot in most areas. Still heading in the right direction. Still seeing some over boost situations. When those occur, the closures kick in and things get shaky. It's not far off though. It's a good thing you still have EWG in place as we can now use it to real in the over boost. Trims still look good Please leave all other settings the same, but put duty bias to the following:

1500 - 4500rpms = 40's
5000+rpm = 50's

Relearn and relog... thanks for your patience. It's tough working through this over the forum, but we're getting there. The above changes should show some lessening of the throttle closures. Fingers crossed...
Attached Images

(#24)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 03-22-2019, 05:11 PM

No need to thank me for my patience, lol. I'm happy to keep going, this is fun. It should be me who is thanking you!

Logs with bias settings as suggested. No other changes.

What can I say? Power output continues to improve, but wobbling is pretty bad. As soon as boost and timing start to get going, BAM, the throttle closes. Overboost can be seen throughout the log. FF is probably not fully learned in yet, that's one caveat.

I can keep trying to learn these settings in, or we can continue to reduce bias, or I can try to up the meth mixture (or whatever else you think makes sense).

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 190322_1836.csv (35.8 KB, 31 views)

(#25)
Old

Default 03-23-2019, 12:04 AM

I must admit... I went the wrong way with bias. Please use the following:

1500 - 4500rpms = 60's
5000+rpm = 50's

Please adjust and relog. If you're still seeing some over boost, try FUA 10 and relog. Provide both log setups (w and w/o FUA) for review. Thanks.