N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default What would cause smoke from the pcv breather - 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM

I have relocated inlets so I have the RB PCV and the vent is venting to atmosphere.

I am getting smoke from the breather filter and a terrible smell, it doesn't smell like oil it has like a foul sweeter smell. Possibly fuel?

Changed my oil, it wasn't milky. Only signs of milkyness by the oil cap but thats just from short trips.

What would this be? I was thinking blow-by

Btw i just changed my valve cover gasket and tapped and plug the oil port holes on the head.

335- stock
(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM

Which RB PCV do you have? Is it just the RB Upgraded PCV (internal) valve or the RB External PCV Kit? If you have the RB PCV internal valve, along with plugged head ports, that would be a problem... as that Internal PCV valve would become 100% inactive in that state.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Which RB PCV do you have? Is it just the RB Upgraded PCV (internal) valve or the RB External PCV Kit? If you have the RB PCV internal valve, along with plugged head ports, that would be a problem... as that Internal PCV valve would become 100% inactive in that state.

Rob
I have the rb internal pcv. So I guess I should just use the AD pcv delete and cap it? Would that cause the smoke and smell though?

335- stock
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92
I have the rb internal pcv. So I guess I should just use the AD pcv delete and cap it? Would that cause the smoke and smell though?
If you wish to retain the PCV function then the RB External PCV kit would be great to accomplish this, however if you wish to eliminate PCV functions and just Vent To Atmosphere then you can go with the AD fitting to do that. Keep in mind that using the AD fitting and capping it is essentially what you are doing with the setup you have today (RB Internal valve with plugged head ports). We suggest (for street cars anyway) that retaining PCV functions is the most ideal, going the RB External PCV setup is your best bet at this point.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM

bump. still looking for ideas about the smoke from the breather.

335- stock
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Default 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
bump. still looking for ideas about the smoke from the breather.
You've plugged your head ports, meaning that you now have an INTERNAL PCV valve does nothing.

We would suggest either UNPLUGGING your head ports so that your Internal PCV works as intended, or running the External PCV setup so that your PCV system once again functions as it was intended.

You also will want to run a vent hose/flapper assembly as well, ideally placed into your turbos inlet as it was from the OEM's.

Assuming you do not have some larger (ie. MUCH larger) issues this would be the first common sense steps to make.

Rob

(#7)
Old

Default 11-02-2017, 11:47 AM

Ok Rob, I am going to order your external kit now.

One more thing maybe you can shed light on it.

I ran a 3 port Catch can. And the car smoked like CRAZYYYY out the tailpipe, tons and tons of white smoke, looked like the car was on fire.

I removed all of it and this is when the car started to smoke from the breather. Do you think it was something I did that caused this?

2 IN ports and 1 OUT port

- flapper side (no flapper) to IN
- PCV side (AD block off) to IN
- rear inlet to OUT

Car smoked like a mother, and i opened up the catch can and it was full of fuel. Removed all of it.

335- stock
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 11-02-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Ok Rob, I am going to order your external kit now.

One more thing maybe you can shed light on it.

I ran a 3 port Catch can. And the car smoked like CRAZYYYY out the tailpipe, tons and tons of white smoke, looked like the car was on fire.

I removed all of it and this is when the car started to smoke from the breather. Do you think it was something I did that caused this?

2 IN ports and 1 OUT port

- flapper side (no flapper) to IN
- PCV side (AD block off) to IN
- rear inlet to OUT

Car smoked like a mother, and i opened up the catch can and it was full of fuel. Removed all of it.
Too many N54 enthusiasts unfortunately try things that do not work. Or it may take a while to see that it doesnt work. Your best bet is to do as follows:

1) OEM vent hose/flapper assembly to rear inlet. High side complete assuming you don't have the high flow OCC kit, if so, insert it in between. Done.

2) Do NOT plug the head ports unless you run an external pcv, however plugging the head ports is GREAT for External PCV. Head Ports can also be plugged for other customized VTA/vacuum assisted custom setups, but KNOW precisely what you are doing if you go this route (NOTE: This is typically more of a all out RACE type of setup, not something most any Street cars should need).

3) If External PCV equipped you can run through a low side catch can or simply connect the PCV valve directly to a vacuum reference without an OCC. If using an OCC the External PCV will connect to the low side OCC (preferably highly filtrated can) IN Port, the out port will go to the Intake Manifold reference. If you have a 2 Port "IN" (3 port total) OCC we do believe you can simply plug one of the "IN" ports. Otherwise a standard 2 port can is what we recommend and all that is needed.

If you are still smoking or losing substantial amounts of oil after you do these things correctly you may have cooked turbos or internal engine damage.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 11-02-2017 at 12:38 PM..