N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default B58 Blow off valve/DV? - 06-29-2017, 09:06 AM

If I understand correct the B58 doesn't have DV or BOV?SO what happens when you let off the gas abruptly, isn't that bad for a turbo, causes surge? any thoughts

2016 340i trackpack , JB4,MHD BEF e85 tune, BMS intake, BMS CC
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Per the B58 tech notes:

Blow-off valve
A blow-off valve is not used in current models. Pressure peaks, caused by sudden load shedding due to the inertia of the turbine of the exhaust turbocharger, can be avoided by careful tuning of the Digital Motor Electronics software. With foresighted charging pressure control, pressure peaks can be predicted and reduced by quick adjustment of the electrically-adjustable wastegate valve. Assisted by a delayed load control of the Valvetronic (in the minimum lift direction) or the throttle valve (in the closed direction), the remaining charge air which is produced can be routed to the exhaust emission system via the engine. This form of control thus prevents the exhaust turbocharger shaft from being exposed to excessive torsional stress due to high pressure peaks.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Yikes that's not easy to understand but I guess it answers th question. So no after market parts or cool turbo noises . Thanks for the info

(#4)
Old

Car: 135i (N55)
Default 06-29-2017, 11:39 AM

LOL I love that reply. "oh so no cool turbo noises."

Pretty neat how B58 handles this. BOV is a simpler approach. Is there actually any benefit to using valvtronic and the wastegate to vent pressure out the exhaust? I bet it produces some nice exhaust noise in itself... People have actually been asking for these shift noises in the E series N55 tuning thread... should be able to perform the same tuning on other platforms with valvetronic and EWG.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM

well on my n54 I wanted it to be a sleeper so I went with the forge DV, BUt on my challenger I went with a big BOV on my procharger loved the sound when I got off the throttle. So I grew addicted to it. Since I have the BMS intake I can hear the turbo whine and when I suddenly let of gas pedal I do hear a noise but it weird like a light gargle , probally the wastegate opening and letting the pressure into exhaust I suppose. wonder how it sounds coming out of the exhaust.

(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-29-2017, 01:08 PM

It uses the wastegate (high speed electric servo) to bleed off pressure instead of a traditional diverter bypass valve. And it sounds really odd doing so. But, so far, seems reliable.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Yes Terry it def sounds odd. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting the turbo as I never had heard that noise before thanks again

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-29-2017, 08:25 PM

No worries we get that question a lot with the BMS intake... The factory intake muffles most of the noise. When you open it up you hear what's been going on all along.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Car: 335 cpe
Default 06-30-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
No worries we get that question a lot with the BMS intake... The factory intake muffles most of the noise. When you open it up you hear what's been going on all along.
It does sound a lot like compressor surge.
(#10)
Old

Car: 120i
Default 07-01-2017, 03:55 AM

After JB4 tune, it my B48 makes a cool burble sound on the gear changes, like a deep farting sound, I was confused as to what was happening I guess this explains it. thanks.
(#11)
Old

Car: f30
Default 01-24-2018, 10:30 PM

Yeah now i know too why its does that. Well ordered EWG harness for my jb4 b48. Hope it can help more.