N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i E90
Default Vegetable Oil + N54 = Blown Turbos - 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM

This is gonna be a somewhat long post, but basically for those not interested in reading an accidental mix up of oil jugs while changing my oil caused about 1 or 2 quarts of cooking oil into my engine, tried to flush it out best I could, now cars smokes excessively blown turbo seals most likely, time for upgraded twins.

So car is 08 E90 335i love the car got it about a year ago, was 1 owner mostly highway miles all the right options i wanted etc. nothing wrong with it about 140 000 km on it. Being the typical 20 year old BMW owner as soon as I got it the mods started right away (ill stick to engine mods for the purpose of this post) typical Jb4, DCI then onto ********* and this is where issues I think started. So i bought a used pair off kijiji that never really fit properly (some ebay brand) this caused exhaust leaks at the lower gasket no matter how many gaskets i threw on, taking the exhaust on and off so many times caused a leak at the turbo gasket which looking back now would explain why i was getting kicked into map 4 and 2 flashes indicating running lean, i went and added a MHD back end flash which helped but still had same issues occasionally. When logging i would see 20 PSI and 11 or 10 AFR's then into map 4. At the time thought it was a fueling issue but anyways this didn't help my turbo longevity having them over spun well into the 20 PSI range.

Onto the veggy oil, so doing my regular oil change around 6000-8000 km in the garage my father uses left over oil cans to put the dirty deep fryer oil in (idk why) and usually labels them with "dirty oil" but accidentally didn't on one, I assumed it was some mobil 1 that i hadn't used from my last change. So i start pouring this deep fryer oil into the funnel (you'd be surprised how close it looks to regular golden synthetic oil) not really paying much attention looked like synthetic oil at a glance then near bottom i see little chunks start coming out (crispy batter from making breaded chicken strips etc.) i stop immediately. Then it hit me what i had just done, i start freaking out instantly open the drain plug and veggy oil start coming out. I only poured about a quart or just over that, i let it drain for about an hour just barley coming out every little drop i could get out. then poured about 2-3 quarts of regular synthetic in with the drain plug open trying to mimic how i poured the vegetable oil to try and flush as much as i could out. After all this put new filter in filled it up and started fine, no smoke no leak nothing. Thought maybe i got lucky, but then later that week i went for a second *** delete as i was getting this horrible rattling noise at 2000 rpm under load (was happening before this, thought it was my exhaust hitting up against the heat shielding by the second cats) and after i got this done on a very hot day idling in the exhaust shop listening for leaks, smoke erupted out of every possible exhaust leak. Pouring out of tail***** and under the hood at the turbo gasket, it was as bad as a blown head gasket but smelt like oil. Started driving smoke went away got home and changed the oil again. Found beads of vegetable oil floating to the top of the oil pan and the filter was pretty clogged up with vegetable oil balls. New oil helped a lot but then i started getting smoke whenever i would shut the car off while hot then start it and idle lots smoke out the tailpipe/from under hood but would go away while i drive. Just this week im starting to get smoke at stop lights or drive thru or any extended idling time, the rattling sounds even worse then before, not the typical waste gate rattle on deceleration which i oddly don't have, i get the rattle badly at about 2000 rpm or or higher/under load. No codes boost is still hitting 17 PSI plus but still getting the over boosting and running lean warning going into map 4 presumably from the bad exhaust leak pre o2 sensors causing the computer to get false readings. I'm changing out my PCV this week, i have an OCC that is practically empty every time i check. I also noticed oil coming from where the auto trans meets the rear of the engine, read that this is usually oil pan gasket or rear main seal, maybe the vegetable oil messed up those seals but ill look into that more. weird thing is my oil level has never moved from max, ever, with burning all this oil i'd thought by now it would of moved, i read they do fail sometimes so now im also scared my oil level is reading full when it really isnt, im going to drain a few quarts this week and see if the level moves then fill it back up (not with vegetable oil )

Now I'm looking for some opinions or comments on if the engine is still okay to run with upgraded twins, I know im going to get roasted which is fine i made a pretty poor mistake. Most of the vegetable oil should be out of engine or burned up and now its just burning oil from bad turbo seals. I'm pretty set on Vargas stage 2 twins as im looking for around 500 whp or whatever the stock auto trans will allow. In Canada no e85 so pushing more then that on 94 octane is gonna be hard anyways even with meth. Hopefully everything internally is still good doubt anyone here has had a similar oil mix up but thought i'd share this experience and try to get possibly some constructive criticism if not feel free to laugh

oh and some pics/log (license plate is not custom, just luck lol)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-07-29 02_09_00.csv (12.7 KB, 63 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-30-2017, 06:29 PM

poor bearings...
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 07-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Man tough luck dude.
I'm not sure if anyone sells an "engine" cleanser that you can use to clean out any burnt cooking oil residue in the motor. I think it's kind of a mineral oil for motor break in and is used to clean of machining burrs, but maybe you can find some to clean out oil gunk. Not sure if that's a thing, but I know they sell break in oil.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Just to make sure i am reading it right. The smoke started after the secondary *** delete?

07 E90 335i 6mt
(#5)
Old

Default 07-30-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
Just to make sure i am reading it right. The smoke started after the secondary *** delete?
Yeah basically
(#6)
Old

Default 07-30-2017, 08:41 PM

So you guys think the whole engine is actually fried now? I was hoping internally everything would still be fine just the turbos that would get damaged and maybe some gaskets, like the oil pan or rear main seal i was mentioning. I haven't herd any weird noises beside what is presumably turbo rattle or any type of engine seizing signs, the little bit of oil i couldn't get out wouldn't be enough to ruin the whole engine right?
(#7)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Car: All Things Booost
Default 07-31-2017, 08:33 AM

Well that sucks.

I'd do a proper flush, not just pour a couple quarts down and hope. When I did mine I put 2 full oil changes into it, each time letting the car warm up, drain, repeat. In the grand scheme of things it's cheap.

The smoke might be from the secondary deletes -it can help mask some issues.

E85 exhaust smells a little sweet, could be a good combo with chicken.

Chris - VTT Forum Representative
For fastest response: Chris@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#8)
Old

Default 07-31-2017, 10:12 AM

So does it smell like hamburgers when you drive around?
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i sport
Default 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Put a few cups of ice in the motor this will make the vege oil coagulate and fall out of solution then you can just scoop it out and be good to go

2008 335i Sport Jb4, MHD BEF, Alpina flash, Uncatted *****, PE Mod, Injen Intake, v710's , Vogtland Springs
(#10)
Old

Default 07-31-2017, 02:03 PM

thanks for replies ill do another change when i get some time this week, ill see if anymore comes out and give an update
(#11)
Old

Car: 09 E92 N54
Default 07-31-2017, 02:12 PM

don't drain a few quarts to see if the level moves. 1/2 quart drain should be sufficient to see that. If some of that veg oil gets in one of your bearings that could ruin your engine especially if you are oil starving it because you want to see if your oil lever is alright.

Freude am Fahren
(#12)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-31-2017, 03:34 PM

I'd do a few full flushes as mentioned before.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#13)
Old

Default 07-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas
don't drain a few quarts to see if the level moves. 1/2 quart drain should be sufficient to see that. If some of that veg oil gets in one of your bearings that could ruin your engine especially if you are oil starving it because you want to see if your oil lever is alright.
i obviously wouldn't run it if i drained a few quarts of oil to check if the level sensor is working, i believe it reads the level with just the ignition turned on, but ill do what you said and just take out half a quart or so and see if it moves just sitting in my driveway. maybe do a compression test to check that the engine is still at least getting good pressure
(#14)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM

That's terrible man, condolences.

I'd do the flushes as recommended above, and then think about how you're going to replace that engine/car. I think even in a best-case here, you've severely shortened the lifespan of the engine.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#15)
Old

Default 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM

So just drained some oil out maybe half a quart, noticed clumps of vegetable oil floating in the oil pan similar to the first picture which is very unsettling because i thought i got most of it out. Put the drain plug back in and started it and wait to get oil level reading and is still showing max. Does this mean the oil level sensor is faulty and has been reading max the whole time while I've been burning oil therefor running the car on who knows how little oil? Might try to drain a bit more just to make sure it would be enough to show up in the digital oil gauge, but as mentioned above it should show by just draining about half a quart of oil out. Next step is going to do a compression test, really am not happy about this whole situation not sure if the whole engine is now toasted or just turbo seals, I guess I would need to pull the valve cover off to really get a look inside, should this be the next step?
(#16)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 08-09-2017, 06:23 PM

I really dont think a compression test will tell you anything in your situation. Dumping bad oil or whatever will shorten the life of bearings and oil passages. Not pistons and valves and rings. Even though there is oil that goes through the rings, you didnt drive it enough to damage them IMO.
(#17)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 08-09-2017, 06:34 PM

I havent read the whole entire thread, but I would
1. Drain the oil
2. Buy CHEAP oil and dump in the motor.
3. Leave the drain plug open to get as much residuals out as possible.
4. Try some compressed air and blow through any openings as possible. Ex oil filler cap, oil pan drain plug, etc.
5. If there are clumps of anything in your oil pan, depending on size of course, will not get picked up because of oil pump pick up tube and screen. If it gets past that, thats why engines have oil filters. It cant make it through the entire motor. Keep flushing and cleaning.
6. If u feel you got EVERYTHING out, fill with cheap oil, start the car, let run for a bit, turn off, let it cool a bit and drain oil and see where youre at with it. If all is well, put the correct oil in it and hope for the best. If not, repeat until you get it right.
(#18)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92
Default 08-15-2017, 01:33 AM

im guessing the veggie oil is so thin it seeped through your turbo seals.

hopefully you can google yourself a legit flushing technique
(#19)
Old

Default 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Update:

Did the compression test had about 170-180 psi through all cylinders, no surprise there, I inspected the spark plugs and they all looked clean and white confirming that the smoke is coming from the turbos seals and oil burning up in the exhaust not in the combustion chamber. Next a moved onto yet another oil change, still found little golden bubbles of vegetable oil floating around in the pan as you'll see in the pics (the leafs just blew in there). I then filled the car with 1 bottle of mobil 1 synthetic which is 4.7 quarts and started the car to finally determine for sure if my oil level sensor is reading false levels. Sure enough after idling for a minute or so the digital gauge read max, with exactly 4.7 quarts of oil confirming it is for sure not working. So shut the car off filled it up with about 7 quarts, new filter and went for a little drive still smoking once the exhaust is up to temperature at stop lights or in the driveway Ill post a video i took. Also the rattle from the turbos is getting worse on acceleration with every drive, not sure if its shaft play or what is going on but the rattling is terrible at about 1800+ rpm or whenever any load is put on the turbos. I really need to make a decision on what to do with the car, I can part out everything on it and put everything back to stock and try to sell it (fell bad giving it to someone with blown turbos and leaking gaskets) or trade in for either 4.8 X5 or infiniti m37 was what i was looking at. But the rattling and smoke is dead give away that something is majorly wrong so not sure how much i would get for it. Other option is keep the car get Vargas upgraded turbos, change the oil pan gasket and hope that the engine runs fine for years to come. I like option 2 but worried that if some vegetable oil gets into the new turbos might just cause the same problem and i'd be out $3000+, if i pull the oil pan off and valve cover could i possibly clean the engine squeaky clean with degreaser wipe down every thing blow compressed air through all the ports to try and get every bit of oil and crap out of the engine? Is it possible to get every bit of oil out of an engine like this or will there always be spots with oil hiding in them without pulling the engine and stripping it down to just the block?

https://youtu.be/g7WKz0bRbY0
Attached Images

(#20)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM

That's pretty funny,I would have never thought to post a tread like this one. Anyway, any partials will have to be flushed, the remaining will be stuck to the internals of your engine. No damage from the meat and potatoes !
(#21)
Old

Default 08-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Think I'm gonna go ahead and start stripping this engine apart, gonna order oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, OFHG, oil cooler gasket, new oil level sensor and the Vargas Stage 2 turbos. Hopefully I can get all the old crap oil out and the car runs fine after this, also got a engine light for a 2E31 and 2E35 fuel injector activation so hopefully my injectors aren't busted as well because I ain't got no money after this lol
(#22)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Car: All Things Booost
Default 08-22-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedSedan
Think I'm gonna go ahead and start stripping this engine apart, gonna order oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, OFHG, oil cooler gasket, new oil level sensor and the Vargas Stage 2 turbos. Hopefully I can get all the old crap oil out and the car runs fine after this, also got a engine light for a 2E31 and 2E35 fuel injector activation so hopefully my injectors aren't busted as well because I ain't got no money after this lol
Shoot me an email if you need help with troubleshooting ideas or methods to clean 'er all out.

Chris

Chris - VTT Forum Representative
For fastest response: Chris@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#23)
Old

Default 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Maybe try running Seafoam in the oil first and drive it for a few days then drain again. It MAY help to flush/clean out the veggie oil. With that said, I would wait to see if others agree on that idea. just a thought...
(#24)
Old

Default 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Update for anyone interested: Rebuilt my turbos and did the oil pan gasket, found a lot of burn't crap in the bottom of the oil pan and all stuck in the oil pickup filter, thank god it didn't get into my engine or at least not much. Car is running pretty nice now no more smoke and peace of mind knowing my oil is 100% clean, i'll post some pics of what I found in the oil pan lol first picture is what it looked like as soon as i got it out of the car, not sure if the black burnt crap is normal or not but cleaned it all really well.
Attached Images

(#25)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 10-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Seriously, it's a tough situation what happen and hopefully you got it all out. Would hate to see another tread relating to oil blockage from particals. Have you thought of making a fine screen over the pickup, fill with cheap oil, run, remove pan, and collect any debris left over?