N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: '11 BMW F10 535i M Sport
Default 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM

The second attached log is of Map 5.

With "opened the IC" I mean that I've change the A/C radiator with a shorter one and now the IC is directly blown by the incoming air and the A/C radiator is not covering it anymore. From this I am having a 20-30 degrees drop in the IAT from what I measured yeaterday.
(#27)
Old

Default 07-25-2017, 03:17 AM

I went on a Dyno today and the result is:

270hp @ 5700 rpm and 400 Nm for stock (JB4 Map4);
299hp @ 5359 rpms and 469 Nm

Attached are logs for total of 6 runs:
-> 2 stock;
-> 1 Map 2;
-> 3 Map 5;

I would very much appreciate any pointers on what could be wrong so the stock I am getting 30+ hp less.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 170725_115_map2_dynorun.csv (2.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv 170725_115_map5_dynorun.csv (2.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: csv 170725_115_map5_dynorun_2.csv (4.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: csv 170725_115_map5_dynorun_3.csv (4.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: csv 170725_115_map4_dynorun_2.csv (3.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv 170725_115_map4_dynorun.csv (3.3 KB, 30 views)
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Typically best to stick with fixed boost maps when on the dyno.

On your map 2 log, FF curve needed to learn up a bit more as you were under boosting.

What gear were you in?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#29)
Old

Default 07-26-2017, 12:50 AM

Gers were 5 and 6.

Last night I removed the intake manifold to clean the carbong, but there was nearly non, either way, I cleaned it but there is no effect.

We had two runs on Map 4, thus stock performance. One was 268hp/397Nm, the other was 270hp/400Nm. Interesting part is that the Nm are okay, as stock I should have 400Nm, but the hp aren't okay.

How to influence the FF curve. Any suggestions what should I check next? Where can the problem be?
(#30)
Old

Default 07-26-2017, 04:18 AM

What about the stock log? Is it looking okay from boost/fuel perspective and AFR? What else could it be to loose 36HP but not any Nm?

Seems like the high revs above 4k, 4.5k is the problematic. Attached is the Dyno graph where the HP are not whp but engine hp.
Attached Images

Last edited by bobbyggx; 07-26-2017 at 04:29 AM..
(#31)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-26-2017, 05:58 PM

FF just needed to learn up a bit or can be manually adjusted up. To adjust the FF curve, you would adjust the duty biases values per the duty bias tuning thread.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#32)
Old

Default 07-26-2017, 11:18 PM

Thanks! I would have a look. What about the stock situation? Any pointers there what should I check?
(#33)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-27-2017, 06:21 AM

On stock map, boost is a bit low which probably explains the drop. JB4 isn't controlling boost on that map. Timing and fueling look normal.

(#34)
Old

Default 07-27-2017, 07:26 AM

What could be the reason for this? Turbo is in good shape.
(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-27-2017, 08:38 AM

What I'd do is try the new F series ISO firmware... Should allow more tuning flexibility since this is a PWG vehicle in need of duty bias tuning.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47223

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#36)
Old

Default 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Does the JB4 affects the stock? The main issue is that in stock variant Map4 the car cannot reach its stock power, or I am getting things the wrong way?
(#37)
Old

Default 07-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Guys, I've decided to fully bypass the JB4 and go completely stock until the issues are cleared and I can reach my stock power and afterwards I can start thinking of tuning.

After I reversed everything and I ran few WOT the check ending light came on, the car was running quite okay, I haven't felt any difference between latest runs with JB4 and this stock variant.

The fault codes which I am currently having are:
104302 - Absolute pressure sensor, intake manifold, plausibility, caster: pressure too low
101F02 - Throttle angle - intake manifold absolute pressure. Comparative pressure too high;
138701 - adiator shutter top upper limit position detected too early

Ideas?

P.S. Today I did 3 runs with my friends' E60 530D and we were running together. I've tried with OBD connected and without OBD connected, both times ended up with the same result having the only difference that I started pulling slowly at the beginning, when I had the OBD connector connected, but afterwards we finished together.

Last edited by bobbyggx; 07-27-2017 at 01:06 PM..
(#38)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-27-2017, 05:14 PM

I'd follow the codes, you've already eliminated the JB4 as a possible cause. Bad connection or boost leak?

(#39)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 535i XDrive M Sport
Default 07-28-2017, 06:25 PM

Ok, had my mechanic install BMS JB4 today. Install went pretty straight forward however he did not install the OBDII cable that came with it. He said I shouldn't need to connect it to make it work. I didn't receive the bluetooth module yet so he said he could install BT when it arrived and then connect the OBD cable if I preferred to.
First few runs felt like the car was making great power and appeared to be very noticeable difference. Upon return to the shop I shut the car off and restarted it. At this time I noticed a "check engine light".
He cleared the codes and I ran it again. Car made good power and seemed to be running great. Same thing, after shut down and restart the light came on again.

He connected his $11K BMW scan tool and these codes came up;
1BC112 Zero=gear sensor, electrical: short circuit to B+
101F02 Intake pipe absolute pressure, plausibility: Pressure too low
105201 DME: Internal Fault (ambient pressure sensor, plausibility, overrrun:
Pressure too high)

Can anyone chime in and let me know what they think may be the reason it's triggering the check engine light?

The car seems to be running fine and makes good power but the "check engine light is on". I am not going to run it hard and weight for a resolution.

I am going to contact BMS and ask them what they believe the problem is?

Is it possible that the some or one of the connections are wrong? Maybe he connected them to the wrong plug? The JB4 did not come with installation instructions he used some from the internet but I am not sure if they were for the exact same unit and car. I would think that the plugs would have only work one way. Could they have sent me the wrong JB4 Unit?

Last edited by BMW535MSPORT; 07-28-2017 at 06:35 PM..
(#40)
Old

Default 07-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
I'd follow the codes, you've already eliminated the JB4 as a possible cause. Bad connection or boost leak?
@Steve, if we are speaking about a boost leak shouldn't the WGDC value be 100%? I am seeing 1.5-2 psi less boost eith WGDC value of 65?

P.S. Is PWN variable the same as WGDC, as I don't have PWN in my logs?
(#41)
Old

Default 07-29-2017, 05:58 PM

The errors are resolved now. There was a wiring problem in the Pressure sensor. I run only few tests with the stock variant now and it accelerates around 6.3-6.5 0-100 stock which should be more or less fine I guess.

I found that there is a small leak on the left side on the intercooler and I will change the sealings everywhere.

The vacuum line for the wastegate was also checked and it is perfectly fine. I would drive the car like this for a couple of days and after the sealings are changed I would do another Dyno to see if there is any positive outcome from the latest interventions.
(#42)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM

(#43)
Old

Default 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM

False alarm, nothing seems to be changed

@Steve, can you give me some pointers? I am looking at the logs and other colleagues with N55 are posting logs where DME_BT at 4k rpms is nearly 10 while my logs the DME_BT is around 7.

DME_BT is the target boost for the DME while ECU_PSI is the actual boost which is delivered?

What could be the reason that I am running nearly 3psi lower than others. The "boost leak" is fixed, but I don't think there was a big one from the IC sealing, thus the reason has to be somewhere else. The interesting part is that the ECU desires lower targets, where is this coming from?

P.S. I want to ask again regarding PWM and WGDC variables, are they one and the same?
(#44)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-31-2017, 10:27 PM

You are going to have to resolve your hardware issues first. As you noted, this is happening without the JB4 installed.

(#45)
Old

Default 08-01-2017, 12:34 AM

Yep, that is correct. I was seeking for advice what could be the issue.
(#46)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2017, 05:26 PM

I understand, very difficult for us to troubleshoot hardware issues via the internet other than pointing out the obvious and following the codes. Based on those your intake system has an issue be it a bad sensor, short, leak...

(#47)
Old

Default 08-02-2017, 02:32 AM

I fully understand you, and I do agree that Inet diagnostic's are not possible but as I am new to petrol I was cery confused about the target being lower than it should. I can explain myself a lower actual boost but the lower target I can't, that is why I was asking you for any pointers as I know it is not possible to diagnose my issue via the net.
(#48)
Old

Default 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM

@Steve, is it possible to connect JB4 to OBD + Power (+ and -) and use it on MAP4 as a logging tool, without connecting the other connectors?
(#49)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2017, 07:05 PM

Yes

(#50)
Old

Default 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM

It is not working, saying COM5 failed and the USB is assigned to COM5 in the Device manager. What shouldnI check next?