N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Fault Codes: 2C31 & 2F0C (Please Help) - 07-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Regularly getting the fault codes 2C31 (lambda probe in front of catalytic converter, trimming control; lambda probe front catalyst, adjustment control, PreCat O2 Sensor trim control, Bank 1) & 2F0C (intake temperature, signal; gradient). In a previous thread, Terry had mentioned the 2F0C likely being a faulty tmap sensor so I went ahead and ordered a new one. In regards to the other code (2C31), is this likely a faulty O2 sensor or could it be anything else? I have included a short log I took today in which 2C31 was thrown...can always tell when this happens as it comes with a bit of a roughness feeling in the pedal and the AFR delta between banks seems to widen....and the engine malfunction light normally appears. Note, I just referenced 2F0C in this post only as it and 2C31 have often been appearing together or interchangeably so I wasn't sure if there was any relationship between the two. Car details below, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Car: 2010 E90 335i
Mileage: 75k mi
Power Modifications:
BMS Backend Flash (latest PUMP Flash; currently no E85)
BMS JB4 G5 ISO (latest firmware; 32_4)
BMS DCI
BMS Chargepipe
VRSF 5" FMIC
VRSF ********* ***
Fuel-It Stage 1 LPFP Upgrade
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-07-19 13_02_19.csv (48.3 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by rleroy4298; 07-19-2016 at 11:42 AM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Normally 2C31/32 is a faulty o2 sensor or something wired in to the o2 sensors.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Normally 2C31/32 is a faulty o2 sensor or something wired in to the o2 sensors.
Thanks, Terry...will pick up some replacements to see if that does the trick. I also heard of these fault codes, or similar, popping up as a result of the DME needing a software update...have you heard of this?

Also, I was able to install a new tmap sensor on the chargepipe, however, the 2F0C code has popped up once again (less frequently so far since the new one was installed)...any other ideas??? Thanks as always for the support.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 07-19-2016, 06:43 PM

Did you have a fix in that you removed and got the wires swapped?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-19-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Did you have a fix in that you removed and got the wires swapped?
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. Never had the "**.fix" if that's what you mean. Otherwise, no the sensors were running fine for the past 2 or so years without any mechanical work done that would have affected them...this just popped up out of nowhere a few months back.

Last edited by rleroy4298; 07-19-2016 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: clarify
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-20-2016, 11:33 AM

Maybe a bad connection or damaged O2 then.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-20-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe a bad connection or damaged O2 then.
Ok, will try replacing them to see if this fixes the issue.

What about the 2F0C (intake temperature, signal; gradient) code as I installed a brand new OE tmap sensor and the fault code still popped up?
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-21-2016, 05:21 AM

I'm not sure about that code...did you replace the TMAP on the CP or the MAF on the intake manifold?

(#9)
Old

Default 07-21-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about that code...did you replace the TMAP on the CP or the MAF on the intake manifold?
Chargepipe
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-22-2016, 06:06 AM

Sounds like you may have a wiring or connector issue then.

(#11)
Old

Default 07-29-2016, 07:32 AM

So I replaced both upstream O2 sensors yesterday and that seems to have done the trick...no 2C31 codes thrown yet.

Back to the 2FOC code, this has still been popping up (triggered on my drive to work this morning) in my dash every so often along with the "engine malfunction" notice. As mentioned, I had heard that this was likely due to a faulty tmap sensor so I installed a new OEM sensor in the chargepipe location. I also removed the similar sensor that's located on the intake manifold and cleaned it with maf cleaner as I've done in the past. Anyways, this is where I currently stand...Steve, you had mentioned the below comment and I was curious how I would go about checking this? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Quote:
Sounds like you may have a wiring or connector issue then.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-29-2016, 03:19 PM

Visual inspection, cleaning, and if you are really rambunctious, a continuity test.

(#13)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

After several days of enjoying faultless O2 codes (2C31), they are back again strong as ever. Along with them the 2C6B code (Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, system check) has popped up twice now which I have never once gotten before in the past. Anyone have a theory as to why 2C31 is back along with the new 2C6B code? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, just to note, I only installed new Pre-*** sensors. The Post-*** sensors were left untouched.

Picture below of the old vs new Pre-*** sensors:
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Old sensor looks pretty rich, how'd the other one look?

(#15)
Old

Default 08-10-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Old sensor looks pretty rich, how'd the other one look?
Hey Steve, don't have a picture of the other one, but it was pretty much identical... It seems strange that all of a sudden I'm now also getting the 2C6B code (Post-***) when it's never appeared in the past and I left these rear sensors alone when I was installing the Pre-*** ones...
(#16)
Old

Default 08-12-2016, 07:40 AM

Following up to see if anyone had any insight in regards to the continuing 2C31 code (lambda probe in front of catalytic converter, trimming control), as well as, the recent 2C6B code (Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, system check)? Thanks so much in advance!

Edit: Included another log taken today just cruising around (conditions generally when the 2C31 code is triggered) that captures 2C31. It looks to be at timestamp 125 as the AFR delta between both banks jump at this time and remain that way there on out...
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-08-12 12_14_43.csv (70.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by rleroy4298; 08-12-2016 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: added log
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-13-2016, 11:40 AM

Your bank 1 trims are in open loop but bank 2 appears to be normal. Try logging bank 2 trims (enable it in bits) to see how they are responding, I suspect they are normal though.

(#18)
Old

Default 08-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Your bank 1 trims are in open loop but bank 2 appears to be normal. Try logging bank 2 trims (enable it in bits) to see how they are responding, I suspect they are normal though.
Hey Steve, was able to capture some logs cruising around with the Bank 2 trims setting enabled (Bit5). Note that in order to upload this log, I had to break it down into 2 parts which is why there are two attachments.

With that being said though, no fault codes were thrown during this particular log....let me know if they do need to be included in the actual log itself and I'll try and go grab another that captures this. Thanks again for the continued support in trying to nail this one down!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-08-15 11_58_51 (1).csv (82.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: csv 2016-08-15 11_58_51 (2).csv (85.3 KB, 79 views)
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-15-2016, 10:33 PM

Those look pretty normal.

In your first log it's clearly bank 1 but unfortunately we can't tell if trims on both banks went to open loop. I suspect just bank 1 did and that may be due to a short, maybe in the DME box? You could also try unplugging the small black JB4 connector and plugging the stock one back in to the DME. Drive like that for a while and see if the code returns.

(#20)
Old

Default 08-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Those look pretty normal.

In your first log it's clearly bank 1 but unfortunately we can't tell if trims on both banks went to open loop. I suspect just bank 1 did and that may be due to a short, maybe in the DME box? You could also try unplugging the small black JB4 connector and plugging the stock one back in to the DME. Drive like that for a while and see if the code returns.
Steve, I went ahead and unplugged the small black connector as mentioned (pic below) and will see how things pan out over the next few days. In regards to now having the small black JB4 connector unplugged, what all has this altered? What does it normally control? Thanks again and will keep you posted.

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM

By unplugging that, you have eliminated the JB4 wiring harness as a potential cause for the O2 sensor issues.

(#22)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
By unplugging that, you have eliminated the JB4 wiring harness as a potential cause for the O2 sensor issues.
Hey Steve, so I had a chance to drive around with the small black connector unplugged and all three codes (below) have eventually popped back up...any thoughts on where to go from here?

2C6B code (Lambda probe behind catalytic converter, system check)
2C31 code (lambda probe in front of catalytic converter, trimming control)
2F0C (intake temperature, signal; gradient)
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Sorry...IAT is the TMAP but it sounds like a hardware issue...you'll need to find the source since you have eliminated the JB4 and harness.

(#24)
Old

Default 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry...IAT is the TMAP but it sounds like a hardware issue...you'll need to find the source since you have eliminated the JB4 and harness.
I was afraid of that...thanks Steve! And should I go ahead and reconnect the JB4's small black connector as it's supposed to be?
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM

Yes, I'd reconnect it.