N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 14' F30 335i EWG N55
Default Hazard signal flash, switches to MAP 4 - 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM

08 E92, MAP7, E85 BMS flash, E50

Was WOT in 2nd gear, hazards flash and JB4 switches to Map 4. I figured it was be the JB4 safety feature described in the sticky but I didn't see the SES flash and I was able to switch back to MAP 7 without restarting car.

What could have triggered this?
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM

You need to log it and upload it so we can help you with this.

335i M//, 07",IC, CP, BOV, LPFP stage 3, Meth kit, MHD ST,PI,PTE 6466, 32psi ~ 750whp
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 01-22-2016, 09:16 AM

Most likely a lean condition or overboost. That won't trigger an SES light and will just kick you to map 4. If you don't correct the issue, it will likely happen again.

Post a log.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Car: 14' F30 335i EWG N55
Default 01-23-2016, 07:42 AM

I noticed boost gauge (fuel) was pegged so I changed boost safety to 21 and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

I attached two logs, looks pretty clean to me. I can't hit boost target after 35000 PRM, is this typical for stock turbos with 70K on them?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-01-23 09_13_09.csv (17.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: csv 2016-01-23 09_21_16.csv (13.9 KB, 113 views)
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-23-2016, 12:54 PM

Looks pretty good. FF will probably drop a bit more and adjust your FOL up to 60 so it doesn't max out at tip in.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM

In the notes in the jb4 thread, it says 1 ses flash is over boost, 2 ses flashes is lean AFR, 3 flashes is low fuel pressure. Was it changed to the hazards flashing? Because I got kicked to 4 the other day when traction control kicked in, and I got a pair of double hazard flashes
(#7)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt02
In the notes in the jb4 thread, it says 1 ses flash is over boost, 2 ses flashes is lean AFR, 3 flashes is low fuel pressure. Was it changed to the hazards flashing? Because I got kicked to 4 the other day when traction control kicked in, and I got a pair of double hazard flashes
Did we ever confirm this?
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-13-2017, 10:50 PM

I was referring to an SES light, not a flash...here is the guide for that...

"My SES light flashed and the JB4 switched to map 4 / low boost. What do I do now?

The JB4 has several active safety systems that will trigger SES light flashes.

The first is the over-boost safety. If boost exceeds the value you've set under user adjustment the SES light will flash once and the JB4 will switch itself to map 4 until you restart the car. The default setting is 18psi. Common causes for this are setting the value too low for the map/intended usage, improperly configured or defective wastegates, or JB4 setting problems.

The second is the run-lean safety system. If your air/fuel ratio (either bank) runs leaner than 14:1 over 4500rpm for more than a second the SES light will flash twice and the JB4 will again switch itself to map 4 until you restart the car. Common causes are maxed out fuel trims (see E85 notes above) or o2 sensor faults. Note any o2 sensor fault must be corrected for the tuning to operate properly.

Another commonly triggered fault is low fuel pressure. If your high fuel pressure drops below 7 (~800psi) the JB4 will flash the SES light three times and switch to map 4 until you restart the car. Common causes are an inadequate low pressure pump, too strong of an E85 mixture for your tuning/fuel pump, or a failing high pressure pump."

(#9)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 04-14-2017, 06:16 AM

The reason I ask is I noticed the hazards flash the other night when I was doing logs and it bumped to safety map reason 1.

Anyone from burger tuning, did this notification switch from SES to hazards or is it something else?
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM

I'm not positive, seems it used to be the hazards flashed in the past. If you're running the latest firmware, which is recommended, then it should be the SES light.

(#11)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 04-26-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
I'm not positive, seems it used to be the hazards flashed in the past. If you're running the latest firmware, which is recommended, then it should be the SES light.
Hello Steve, I just bought and installed a new JB4 with the bluetooth connect kit and it appears to flash the hazards instead of the SES light. I appear to be running the latest firmware (shows as 32/6//2 on the mobile app) and i am also able to go back to another map immediately after it auto switches to map 4 because of the AFR being lean.

Last edited by SirLagsalot; 04-26-2017 at 05:01 AM..
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLagsalot
Hello Steve, I just bought and installed a new JB4 with the bluetooth connect kit and it appears to flash the hazards instead of the SES light. I appear to be running the latest firmware (shows as 32/6//2 on the mobile app) and i am also able to go back to another map immediately after it auto switches to map 4 because of the AFR being lean.
You need to fix what is causing it to go lean. You'd want a post a JB4 log of it coming up if you need our advice.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old

Default 04-26-2017, 01:49 PM

This is the log from this morning when it happened. This was the first time it occurred and I will see if i can get a better log tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-04-26 06_44_57.csv (5.8 KB, 135 views)
(#14)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 135i 6 speed
Default 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLagsalot
This is the log from this morning when it happened. This was the first time it occurred and I will see if i can get a better log tonight.
So I have the same thing happening. Terry told me that it was due to my trims being maxed out. It looks the same on your log. Notice how your trims go to 50 which is maxed out and then it changes to map 4 and 8psi of target boost. He recommended I do a menu 1/7 reset. Hope this helps.
(#15)
Old

Default 04-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyleT
So I have the same thing happening. Terry told me that it was due to my trims being maxed out. It looks the same on your log. Notice how your trims go to 50 which is maxed out and then it changes to map 4 and 8psi of target boost. He recommended I do a menu 1/7 reset. Hope this helps.
This seemed to solve the problem for me. I did a few pulls and at no point did it kick down to Map 4. I've attached a new log as well, and it looks like the AFRs are more consistent and trim level is down.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-04-26 19_07_40.csv (10.5 KB, 96 views)
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2017, 08:12 PM

Better to do logs in 3rd, try not to hit the kickdown or get a kickdown blocker.

Raise your FOL to 85.

(#17)
Old

Default 04-27-2017, 05:41 PM

I changed the FOL and avoided the kickdown. I tried to do pulls but got a cylinder 5 misfire. It only happened one time (will look into spark plugs/ coils if it happens again) but the FOL changed to 90 afterwards. Should I drop it back down or leave it? Any advice is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-04-27 18_29_36 Cylinder 5 misfire.csv (7.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: csv 2017-04-27 18_42_49.csv (8.1 KB, 72 views)
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-27-2017, 09:21 PM

Leave FOL at 90, that is fine.

I'd recommend adding the pump flash and if cylinder 5 continues to have misfires, start swapping components with other cylinders to find the root cause.

(#19)
Old

Default 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt02
This happens to me too.. when traction control kicks in hard repeatedly on wet roads it kicks me to map 4 with a hazard flash.. I can switch back to any map on the fly without restarting immediatly..

Could the fuel cut on traction control be causing it to run lean for a split second engaging the safety on the jb4??
(#20)
Old

Default 12-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milko96
This happens to me too.. when traction control kicks in hard repeatedly on wet roads it kicks me to map 4 with a hazard flash.. I can switch back to any map on the fly without restarting immediatly..

Could the fuel cut on traction control be causing it to run lean for a split second engaging the safety on the jb4??
You are suppose to turn off traction control when logging. If it is wet outside I would not turn it off or go WOT.

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2017, 08:36 PM

+1

Be safe!

(#22)
Old

Default 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter
You are suppose to turn off traction control when logging. If it is wet outside I would not turn it off or go WOT.
I live in the UK.. its wet/damp most of the time!! I'm not logging this is just everyday driving.. but it wont do it everytime just now and again.
(#23)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM

The JB4 safety is pretty straightforward - my JB4, going all the way back to JB4 G4 board, has always been flashing hazards when I hit a safety. But I also have gotten an SES IN ADDITION to the hazards flashing.

FYI, count the # of times the hazards flash - that equals the JB4 Safety number (1-5) that caused it. Or just look in the Read Only menu of JB4 app, for the Last Safety value. Also in log file header rows.

Yes, turn off DTC when logging, and also ASC if you feel safe enough about it.

As Steve mentioned (for the millionth time), 2nd gear is not good to log in.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold

Last edited by LessIsMore; 12-06-2017 at 01:35 PM..