N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#2551)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM

Question ... Does the pump flash automatically disable the readiness monitor for catalyst from being set?...just recently had my car flash and my catalyst monitor is still not ready after 300+ miles..ihave to smog pretty soon...
Is there a way to enable it back so i can have my monitors ready (mods ******* **, vrsf fix,jb4)
(#2552)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM

Added to first post:

6/1/16 JB4 MHD Map Release

1) Removed KR specific maps as "desensitize knock sensors" is now a JB4 MHD back end flash time option. See guidelines above for use.
2) Adjustments to the INA0S maps to improve DCT shifting and operation.
3) Various minor adjustments to timing curves and other mapping functions.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2553)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathana_v
Question ... Does the pump flash automatically disable the readiness monitor for catalyst from being set?...just recently had my car flash and my catalyst monitor is still not ready after 300+ miles..ihave to smog pretty soon...
Is there a way to enable it back so i can have my monitors ready (mods ******* **, vrsf fix,jb4)
Great question! I'm wondering this too.
Could it be a secondary *** toggle that we stock catted ** guys don't need toggled?
(#2554)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCuda
Hows about this?
The KR tables are revisions we've developed to suppress false knock while allowing more serious knock to pull timing. It's not a percentage relationship.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2555)
Old

Car: '07 335i MSport Convertible
Default 05-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The KR tables are revisions we've developed to suppress false knock while allowing more serious knock to pull timing. It's not a percentage relationship.
What situations would you suggest enabling KR? I've read about those with flat timing after shifts.

As someone on pump fuel, I'm trying to dial in a boost curve but find the almost digital sensitivity increase at 100f a challenge (no fmic yet). I've toyed with reducing boost above 5000rpm but it leaves a lot on the table. The difficulty is obviously judging risk vs reward on pump fuels. How aggressive are the KR changes? When they were included in .bin we could compare the changes, and even soften them if desired but now with a botton in MHD it's less clear. I appreciate you are bound by balancing you intellectual property vs open info to the community.

| U.K. 2007 E93 335i| JB4 G5 I8A0S Pump Flash| Scoops | BMS DCI | CKS Performance 3" *** | MMP Silicone Inlets | Active Autowerke 5" FMIC | CDV delete |Fob Roof Controls | JB4 Connect rev. 3|
(#2556)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2016, 01:21 PM

Normally on high octane fuel (like E85) where you have timing drops that don't appear to be knock related. On PUMP gas I'd leave the factory mapping.

A good rule of thumb is that if timing improves by adding in race gas or E85 then it's probably real knock rather than false knock...

Burger Motorsports

(#2557)
Old

Default 05-30-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Normally on high octane fuel (like E85) where you have timing drops that don't appear to be knock related. On PUMP gas I'd leave the factory mapping.

A good rule of thumb is that if timing improves by adding in race gas or E85 then it's probably real knock rather than false knock...
Good info ... so tempting to change that 0.075 to 0.013 ... �� Obviously I could actually increase the sensitivity below 100f to get a more gradual effect if it bothers me that much!

| U.K. 2007 E93 335i| JB4 G5 I8A0S Pump Flash| Scoops | BMS DCI | CKS Performance 3" *** | MMP Silicone Inlets | Active Autowerke 5" FMIC | CDV delete |Fob Roof Controls | JB4 Connect rev. 3|

Last edited by HairyWelshSteve; 05-31-2016 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Introspection
(#2558)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-30-2016, 02:04 PM

If you're talking about the "knock correction factor ECT" table I never figured out how it worked or if it did anything at all. We leave it stock.

Burger Motorsports

(#2559)
Old

Default 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
If you're talking about the "knock correction factor ECT" table I never figured out how it worked or if it did anything at all. We leave it stock.
Not by the laptop but isn't there a correction factor by IAT table that is 0 below 100f and 0.075 above? Maybe that's not even knock.

(#2560)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyWelshSteve
Not by the laptop but isn't there a correction factor by IAT table that is 0 below 100f and 0.075 above? Maybe that's not even knock.
You're thinking about Timing Cor. Factor (Charge Air Temp) that is flattened in the BMS backends.
(#2561)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 06-01-2016, 07:55 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a stock 2011 335IS DCT with a drop-in K&N and that's all. Car has 66k miles on it and I just did a walnut blasting last year. I bought the car last year used so idk if anything has ever been done as far as maintenance goes. I flashed MHD Stage 1 + FMIC and took the car for a drive. Around town, it was great. Took it out on the freeway and when I pushed it, it would shudder. I pulled over and then flashed the Stage 1 only tune. Took it back out and it would still shudder, although not as bad. I pulled over again and flashed stock and it was fine. Took it home and changed out the plugs the next day and tried it again. Stage 1 + FMIC threw me into limp mode. Flashed Stage 1 again and it ran great, so I left it there. Been running like that for a few weeks now with no issues.

BUT

Last weekend while out driving around on the freeway doing about 80 in 7th gear, I did a 3/4 throttle just to move in traffic, no downshift, the car shudders. I'm thinking DAMN! I did some more testing, but pushing it hard, it was fine. I didn't think about doing the 3/4 throttle at 80 again, I just did hard pulls after that and it was perfect.

This morning it did it again, then I thought maybe it's the circumstances. So I did the same 3/4 throttle and it shudders. So, now I can repeat the symptoms. If I drive it normally or make it downshift, the car runs great. But this very specific test seems to make the car shudder.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
(#2562)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTate
Hello everyone,

I have a stock 2011 335IS DCT with a drop-in K&N and that's all. Car has 66k miles on it and I just did a walnut blasting last year. I bought the car last year used so idk if anything has ever been done as far as maintenance goes. I flashed MHD Stage 1 + FMIC and took the car for a drive. Around town, it was great. Took it out on the freeway and when I pushed it, it would shudder. I pulled over and then flashed the Stage 1 only tune. Took it back out and it would still shudder, although not as bad. I pulled over again and flashed stock and it was fine. Took it home and changed out the plugs the next day and tried it again. Stage 1 + FMIC threw me into limp mode. Flashed Stage 1 again and it ran great, so I left it there. Been running like that for a few weeks now with no issues.

BUT

Last weekend while out driving around on the freeway doing about 80 in 7th gear, I did a 3/4 throttle just to move in traffic, no downshift, the car shudders. I'm thinking DAMN! I did some more testing, but pushing it hard, it was fine. I didn't think about doing the 3/4 throttle at 80 again, I just did hard pulls after that and it was perfect.

This morning it did it again, then I thought maybe it's the circumstances. So I did the same 3/4 throttle and it shudders. So, now I can repeat the symptoms. If I drive it normally or make it downshift, the car runs great. But this very specific test seems to make the car shudder.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
You are most likely in need of some fresh ignition coils.

2008 e92 335i 6MT - On3 Performance Single Kit w/Precision 6266 Gen 2 | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF Chargepipe w/HKS BOV | JB4 w/Bluetooth & 2 step and MHD BEF | BMS Meth Kit 2x CM10's | Fuel It Buckless Stage 2 Pump | ADV Sensors | Trebila Tuned
(#2563)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 06-01-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a stock 2011 335IS DCT [...]
Thanks,
Steve
Please email me so we can run a test map.
(#2564)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM

I was thinking coils is the next step also, but if a coil(s) were going bad, wouldn't the car misbehave all the time?

I'm emailing MHD now...
(#2565)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyWelshSteve
You can open our older KR specific maps to look at the table changes we ultimately settled on but none of the tables modified are temperature specific.

We do have different base timing retard by intake air temp tables setup if you're looking to make the timing more aggressive during colder weather, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#2566)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You can open our older KR specific maps to look at the table changes we ultimately settled on but none of the tables modified are temperature specific.

We do have different base timing retard by intake air temp tables setup if you're looking to make the timing more aggressive during colder weather, etc.
That would be an interesting way to approach the problem - prevent pulled timing by making timing less aggressive based on intake temperature. Probably start by going less aggressive at raised temperatures and see the effect.

(#2567)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Yes that is sort of the point of the BEF... Have the base maps set so that for the fuel and intended boost they are in the ball park of where they need to be.

Burger Motorsports

(#2568)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Default 06-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Ok so it's 98 out today and I know my IAT's are high and climb even a bit higher due to my ****ty stock FMIC, but other than that and the minor timing correct in cyl. 2 near the end of the pull, anyone care to provide some input..?

Thanks!

http://***********/u/beastmode335i/61...13-14-16-23-24
(#2569)
Old

Default 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

BUT

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
You should really log your highway pulls and post them to Datazap so we can all see what's happening and not guess what "shudder" means to you.
(#2570)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 06-01-2016, 07:25 PM

What's the status on the codes being thrown for 4 bar sensors?

2009 535i M-SPORT AT
JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, E85 BEF ON 100% E85, VRSF **'S, 7" VRSF IC, VRSF CP W/ TIAL BOV, MMP Inlets & Outlets, TBI & Stage 2 LPFP,1792s in for 2nd cats, Potenza RE-11's
(#2571)
Old

Car: 2009 e82 135i
Default 06-02-2016, 03:32 AM

Hello everyone

Just curious if ive got TBI with stage 2 LPFP and im running on 100% E85 on stock turbos,which .bin should i use,PI or E85? thanks.
(#2572)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 06-02-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAKL
Hello everyone

Just curious if ive got TBI with stage 2 LPFP and im running on 100% E85 on stock turbos,which .bin should i use,PI or E85? thanks.
I've been using the E85 no problems. Same setup as you.

2009 535i M-SPORT AT
JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, E85 BEF ON 100% E85, VRSF **'S, 7" VRSF IC, VRSF CP W/ TIAL BOV, MMP Inlets & Outlets, TBI & Stage 2 LPFP,1792s in for 2nd cats, Potenza RE-11's
(#2573)
Old

Default 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM

Hey guys, I didn't get to do a logging as I didn't know I needed an additional license for that module, sorry. I was going to do it while driving to work this morning.

BUT, I was able to recreate the issue on the way to work today just by rolling into the throttle, just before you'd think a downshift would happen, but it didn't downshift and the car would stumble a bit.

So, I pulled the codes from it when I got to work and this is what is showing.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

(#2574)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Default 06-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I didn't get to do a logging as I didn't know I needed an additional license for that module, sorry. I was going to do it while driving to work this morning.

BUT, I was able to recreate the issue on the way to work today just by rolling into the throttle, just before you'd think a downshift would happen, but it didn't downshift and the car would stumble a bit.

Thanks,
Steve
HPFP
(#2575)
Old

Default 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
I noticed in the screen shot of the error codes, Catalyst: INCOMPLETE. @MHD, is this due to the toggle for secondary catalyst delete for FBO?