N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335 xi
Default MHD won't Connect to ECU - 11-09-2015, 07:30 AM

I've followed every single instruction I could find and the MHD App will not find my ECU/DME...

I was trying to load a JB4 backend flash, but since the app won't connect for some reason I am unable to get the VIN license or even read the DME codes, let alone trying to write a flash....

Equipment:

- K+D CAN OBD Cable
Product Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

- Astro Tab A724 Android Tablet running Lollipop 5.0
Product Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

- MHD App from Google Play Store

Car & Mods:

2008 BMW 335xi [N54] - Auto Trans [Non-Sport]
DME Version i8a0s [6-cyl setting on JB4 is 4]

- JB4 w/ USB Cable [has latest firmware]
- BMS DCI

When I connect the OBD-USB Cable to the Tablet it recognizes it.

When I press "Read Codes" on the MHD App the red LED on the OBD cable turns on, blinks off for a split second then goes back on and stays on until the App Says that it cannot communicate with the ECU.

The Car's ignition is on, engine is not running, all accessories are off, and a battery charger is connected.

The OBD Cable worked for INPA, I was able to read and connect to the ECU with my laptop, but the tablet doesn't seem to be working.

The Procedure I have followed:
1) Set JB4 Map to 0 [Turn off JB4]
2) Connect Battery Charger
3) Connect OBD Cable to Tablet & Start MHD app [Tried this in the reverse order too]
4) Press "Read Codes" on MHD app.

What else can I do here? Am I doing something wrong?

I need to be able to load this backend flash to combat a 6.8+ Avg Ign value on the JB4 [for whatever reason] so that the car will start performing properly under WOT & Boost....

I'm about 5 seconds away from scrapping the JB4 and going with Cobb, so any help would be appreciated here....
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-09-2015, 07:37 AM

My guess is the cable. I went through 3 until I found one that worked. They are a crap shoot unfortunately. The one you got is the one I have, I just had to buy it three times before I got one that worked. Try buying another one, ****ty way to do it, but seriously I'm 99.9% sure that's your problem.

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
Trebila tune, xHP stg3, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, VSRF ceramic 3", ER Charge Pipe w/ Forge DVs, AMS Intercooler, Fuel-It Stg3+ LPFP, Pheonix Intake W/ PI, MMPe 1k's

Suspension:
Front & Rear 1M/M3 control arms & Subframe Bushings, MFactory YCW coils w/ Swift Springs

Exhaust:
Berk Street Performance Axle-back w/ straight Midpipes
(#3)
Old

Car: 14' F30 335i EWG N55
Default 11-09-2015, 07:51 AM

I had a similar issue the first time I used MHD. I bought a cheapo dragon touch tablet, when the MHD connected it asked about using program as default, unless I hit accept it wouldn't read.

Since I've flashed my ECU many times, works great.
(#4)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 11-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Buy a cable from a real store. The Amazon ones are hit and miss; and more miss than hit. bimmersoftware, cable-shack....
(#5)
Old

Default 11-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
Buy a cable from a real store. The Amazon ones are hit and miss; and more miss than hit. bimmersoftware, cable-shack....
I guess I kind of wish MHD would stand behind one particular cable so that we all would know what the hell to buy....

Any links to a cable that actually works?

I'm confused why my cable would work for coding with my laptop but not work with the MHD app.... ridiculous...
(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe
Default 11-09-2015, 11:23 AM

It had the same problem, it was the cable. Like 99.9% of the time.

f*** v-bands clamp
(#7)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero
I guess I kind of wish MHD would stand behind one particular cable so that we all would know what the hell to buy....

I'm confused why my cable would work for coding with my laptop but not work with the MHD app.... ridiculous...

Your issue is the otg cable not working. Inpa works directly with the USB being plugged into the computer and connects, for the tablet you need a otg cable between the USB and tablet. I bought this one last week and worked perfectly fine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=...974991-9503464

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Trebila Custom tuning
(#8)
Old

Default 11-09-2015, 11:29 AM

The OTG cable works to connect to the JB4 USB cable.... why wouldn't it work with the OBD cable?
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM

whichever the cable works for the inpa should work with MHD.

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
Fuel-it! Stage 2 standard,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#10)
Old

Default 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23
whichever the cable works for the inpa should work with MHD.
well it doesn't seem to be that way... so I guess I'm out an additional $40 for another freakin OBD cable....

This JB4 is turning into a money pit... fast, I should have just went with Cobb... at this point... :-/

Not too happy with my JB4... I mean what's the point of buying a tuner if you have to load a back-end flash on the damn thing to make it work properly....?
(#11)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The OTG cable works to connect to the JB4 USB cable.... why wouldn't it work with the OBD cable?
Did you verify the tablet has OTG support? have you tried it with a hard/jump drive?
(#12)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:

MHD does stand behind one particular cable. The bimmer software cable. There is so much misinformation in this thread I don't even know where to start. So I won't. E90 post has a good mhd thread.
(#13)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 11-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Get the bimmer software cable...I had same problem my cheap INPA cable worked for inpa but not mhd. I purchased the bimmer cable and no problems flashing...btw if you do not want to flash you have the option not to just set your jb4 menu 4/3

08 535Xi - jb4 iso w/mhd flash, Bms dci, AR ********* **, er cp with forge dv, second *** delete, muffler delete, xhp trans flash, ets fmic, bms oil tstat bypass.
(#14)
Old

Default 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum996
Get the bimmer software cable...I had same problem my cheap INPA cable worked for inpa but not mhd. I purchased the bimmer cable and no problems flashing...btw if you do not want to flash you have the option not to just set your jb4 menu 4/3
my JB4 is all set to defaults right now, and I'm getting misfires with brand new plugs and coils, and my avg ign values are like 6.8+

I've tried race gas without any changes, and I run nothing but 93 octane. Terry from BMS said the only thing that would fix the problem is the backend flash... which I think is ridiculous... I spent ~$500 on the JB4 expecting it to work nicely... it doesn't, and now I have to spend another ~$150+/- to make it work properly... I should have just purchased the COBB AP at this point...

The tablet has OTG support, it came with an OTG cable, and the OTG cable works when I hook it up to the JB4's USB cable in the car...

I'll buy the cable from bimmersoftware.com or whatever and see if that works... if not then I guess I'll be selling all this crap and getting a COBB tuner....

Last edited by Izero; 11-10-2015 at 01:39 PM..
(#15)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
my JB4 is all set to defaults right now, and I'm getting misfires with brand new plugs and coils, and my avg ign values are like 6.8+

I've tried race gas without any changes, and I run nothing but 93 octane. Terry from BMS said the only thing that would fix the problem is the backend flash... which I think is ridiculous... I spent ~$500 on the JB4 expecting it to work nicely... it doesn't, and now I have to spend another ~$150+/- to make it work properly... I should have just purchased the COBB AP at this point...

The tablet has OTG support, it came with an OTG cable, and the OTG cable works when I hook it up to the JB4's USB cable in the car...

I'll buy the cable from bimmersoftware.com or whatever and see if that works... if not then I guess I'll be selling all this crap and getting a COBB tuner....
Than you defently won't be getting support from Cobb nor from us. Cobb has decided to drop full support on the n54 hence why alot of guys are going mhd route

BTW were are u located. I'm sure someone in your area has a working cable that they can flash you and get you running right.

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Trebila Custom tuning
(#16)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Don't buy a Cobb. Use an existing Android device or buy a $50 tablet from Amazon and use MHD rather than Cobb. Way cheaper and better supported.
(#17)
Old

Default 11-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournamehere90
Don't buy a Cobb. Use an existing Android device or buy a $50 tablet from Amazon and use MHD rather than Cobb. Way cheaper and better supported.
Check my OP, I have everything except a working cable apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo20032004
Than you defently won't be getting support from Cobb nor from us. Cobb has decided to drop full support on the n54 hence why alot of guys are going mhd route

BTW were are u located. I'm sure someone in your area has a working cable that they can flash you and get you running right.
I'm in Northern NJ... not many people seem to want to help me out here, I asked before on E90 Post and not a single person replied...

I guess I'll just have to buy another cable and try again...
(#18)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe
Default 11-11-2015, 08:54 AM

There is nothing to it man, just get a reliable cable.

f*** v-bands clamp
(#19)
Old

Car: V10M5 & turbo stuff
Default 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Sorry to revive a dead thread....
But I was able to connect and flash my own car no problem.
With the cable from ebay that comes with the NCSexpert, INPA etc etc.

But I tried to flash a friends car and it would not connect.

I then tried a 3rd car and it connected fine... So I know it isn't the cable.

Wondering what else it could be. Just trying to get some thoughts and continue this discussion so there's more info on the subject.

www.themalibumafia.com
Instagram - @MalibuMV
2006 BMW M5 - REALLY LOUD
2007 BMW 335i - Single Turbo 6266
(#20)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E91 335i
Default 05-27-2017, 07:29 AM

It could be that the cable does K-Line but not DCAN protocol or vice versa. If one of the cars is pre- march 2007 and the other is younger, that may be the problem.

I'm also struggling with cables right now. My K_DCAN cable works fine with my PC. My USB OTG cable works fine when i connect a flash drive (but it does not work fine when i connect a USB powered hard drive).

I know someone who has MHD working, so i'll first check the two cables OTG and KLINE) and go from there.

I'll update when i have it working or found the source of my issue.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

www.CustomTurboWorld.com - Archive and forum for all aftermarket turbo en supercharger kits
(#21)
Old

Car: 335i n54
Default 10-23-2017, 05:34 AM

Hello to everyone, I have bought an Inpa KDCAN and OTG adapter, had lots of troubles just like I read here but there is a catch when you use the cable on cars built later than march 2007 so I will try to explain for others that are in same boat.

First time I bought the cheapest Inpa KDCAN cable that I found, after few days of trial and error I gave up and returned it for refund.
I sourced another cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263052523320
feedbacks looked promising but I asked the seller first if he is sure it's working with MHD app and said he tried it already and knows it's working.

A week later the cable arrived, tried it as well and no success, very frustrated I emailed the seller and almost left a negative feedback but got a fast reply and told me what to check so I went ahead to try it:

The cable has a switch on it, it's meant to bridge pins 7 and 8 for cars that use double K-line (those built before march 2007)

Switched to the other side the pins are unbridged and that's needed for cars built starting with march 2007 like mine that talks on DCAN.
For these that use DCAN it's also needed to establish a communication with the car in less than 60seconds since the cable has been plugged in usb and to car OBD (if the 60seconds pass the red light goes off and the cable will work by default for double K-line).

It's long story but hope I described well what matters, seller said it's best to use Inpa KDCAN with switch on it otherwise you have to open it up and solder the pins based on the car build date.
In some situations if the pins are bridged and the cable is used on DCAN cars it can cause the communication to be disturbed and imagine what can happen.
Not sure if the first cable would of worked or not, it had a white PCB color compared to the second that I bought and the seller said those have the worst electronics inside, the ones with green PCB are divided on two quality categories but I didn't digged deeper as I don't know much about electronics.

good luck to everyone that wants to tune their cars!
(#22)
Old

Default 10-23-2017, 06:33 AM

Hi all,

UPDATE OF MY ISSUES !!

It turns out that MHD really needs USB OTG support. Almost all "OTG" devices will allow you to connect a usb stick with a OTG cable, but that's not enough to power a device through OTG.

A K+DCAN apparently needs more power to work correctly.

I bought a cheap cable via e-bay and downloaded MHD thru Google playstore.
Here's a first clue if your device is going to work. If Playstore does not allow you to download MHD, then your Android device is most likely not supporting the USB OTG as needed for flashing.

I went to a couple of devices before i understood this, including a few mails to MHD Support.

Long story short: make sure your device has USB OTG support. Not all do. My latest is the Ulefone Power 2, which a huge battery in it. It's cheap and works perfectly. Before I bought the Cubot Echo (which says it's OTG compatible) and it did not work. I also have a Nexus tablet, and it also worked.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

www.CustomTurboWorld.com - Archive and forum for all aftermarket turbo en supercharger kits
(#23)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 04-11-2019, 06:26 PM

So I started a custom flash, started, and was working fine. I walked away from the car, because it said it was going to be 20 minutes. When it came back it said flash failed, and now i cannot communicate with the DME literally says " cannot communicate with DME" when i try to get back in there to reflash. ON top of all this the car will crank, but not start. I have it on a charger, but I'm looking for any help someone can provide. Has any one else had this problem, how did you fix it.
(#24)
Old

Default 04-12-2019, 04:13 AM

We experienced a similar issue a few years back when MHD was released for the F series with N54 engine.

Our solution was to find a local guy that has access to WinKFP, a hack tool to reflash to stock. Make sure you know someone that knows the tool; the ECU actually has a timer (starting at 30) and counts how many times the ECU has been reflashed like this. If it goes to 0, i don't know what to do ?

anyways, your dealer should be able to help as well, i think they have standard prices for this type of reflash.

I'm based in the Netherlands, so i probably cannot help you out with mechanics that own and know how to use WinKFP. The whole process takes about 45 minutes. You're then back to stock and can try to reflash again. I suggest to reflash at this mechanic. In case it fails, you can then immediately use WinKFP.

Good luck !

PS: agree on the cost before hand. As said, if he knows what he's doing, it should not take more than an hour.