N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 335i xDrive Sedan
Default N63TU JB4 Settings? - 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Hi,

I just installed my S63TU (with BCM) JB4 on my 2014 50i X5. I've installed the N63TU firmware in the F-Series thread in this forum. However, in that thread, Terry mentions settings that need to be changed, and I don't know what those settings are. I do have a Bootmod3 Stage 1 flash on the vehicle as well (no other mods). I installed the JB4 TMAP, OBDII, and the boost solenoid connections, and I unplugged the MAF sensors. I have a few questions.

1. What are these special settings that need to be loaded? I've attached the current settings.

2. I'd like to run the JB4 with the BM3 flash. Do I need to set anything special on the JB4 to do this? I used to have to select BEF in the JB4 on my E90.

3. Will the JB4 target absolute boost or in addition to what the BM3 flash commands?

4. Can I run "flash only" by setting the JB4 to Map 0 or 4 and then plugging the MAFs back in and use the JB4 only for logging?

5. Will I need to add fuel pressure connectors, or is that not needed any longer? I do want to run ethanol mixes, part of why I want the JB4.

6. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Adam
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 05:19 AM

Also, is this map guide still accurate? I assume I can still use map 6 and define it myself?

Map0: JB4 disabled
Map1: Additive map, up to 5psi requested over stock
Map2: Absolute map, 19psi peak
Map3: Absolute map, 18psi peak
Map4: Stock with CANbus active for logging and in dash gauges
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Since the car is flashed first step is to record a log on map0 so we can check it out. I'd run TMAP and OBDII only to start, without BCM connections.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Thanks Terry. I really don't want to disconnect those BCM connections. I'll get a log and post it today.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 08:48 AM

I'm also not against flashing back to stock if that'd be better? I'm still within my BM3 return limit, so if the jb4 works nicely alone, I could get my $895 back.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM

OK no worries if they are on leave them. But I want to see some data before suggesting how we go about the tuning since it's flashed currently.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Two logs attached. Map 0, MAFs unplugged, Bootmod3 Stage 1 tune, 93 octane, all else completely stock. 2014 F15 50i.

I have access to E85 and I'm not afraid of going meth, *********, etc. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-19 18_27_40_Gear-3_Map-0.csv (4.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-19 18_25_52_Gear-3_Map-0.csv (4.5 KB, 57 views)
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Ah I see it's a V1 board. Did you buy the JB4 new? We may need to change that to a V2.

But so far so good. For the next piece of data grab a similar log on map1.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Thanks Terry. I did buy the JB4 used. I've bought my N54 and N55 ones from you though.

Two logs on Map 1 attached! Let me know what you think. I'm curious why the AFR goes way lean at the top end of the one log when the RPMs start coming back down, but still under boost. I felt this when I was driving.

Thanks again,
Adam
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-20 20_52_53_Gear-3_Map-1.csv (4.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-20 20_54_10_Gear-3_Map-1.csv (4.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by HydroStream6; 03-20-2019 at 06:19 PM..
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Looks like map1 is working as intended.

Fuel is cutoff during shifts so that is probably what you're seeing on AFR. Fuel trims look fine here.

For a setup like this should really have a V2 system I think. We're not doing any more V1 firmware updates, and the by bank boost control would be useful. We have upgrade kits for $200 if you need.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 03-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Thanks Terry. I'm not against upgrading. Do you think the flash is helping me, or should I get my $900 back and get the V2 and meth?

If I keep as is, can we try more boost as is or with some ethanol mixed in?
(#12)
Old

Default 03-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Or if the flash and V2 together are more powerful, I can do that too...
(#13)
Old

Default 03-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Mixed in 5 gallons E70 with a full tank of 93. Same settings as above, 0-100ish. Did 0-60 in 3.79 on Dragy.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 0_2019-03-21 15_14_01_Gear-1_Map-1.csv (6.7 KB, 64 views)
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Your bank to bank boost is pretty decent so the difference wouldn't be huge. But worth the update I think.

You're at 20psi here and there is room to go on fueling and timing, maybe need some 3.5bar TMAP sensors too? Stock sensors cap out around 21psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 03-23-2019, 03:17 AM

I'll get some map sensors on order �� I'm going to flash to stock this weekend and do a few logs and post them up as well. Thanks again!
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-23-2019, 06:10 PM

I'd keep the flash, seems to be working fine! Good call on the sensors though.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 03-25-2019, 09:06 AM

Ordered the map sensors from you Terry. When they come, what's next? Map 2? Map 6?

Thanks,
Adam
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM

I'm working on some firmware changes for the N63TU but they are only via the V2 board, which was why I wanted to get you kicked over to that.

But in terms of the V1 board next stop map2 and if clean then a custom map6.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 03-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Hi Terry!

My TMAPs get delivered today. I must say, I'm a little nervous reading about guys slinging rods out of their S63TUs (granted I'm N63TU). I understand anything can happen, but are you fairly confident Map 2 will be safe with my flash or should we shoot for a Map 6 and skip over Map 2 to keep the torque down a hair? Map 1 seems to be commanding 20-21 psi and I'm still running E30ish.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Adam
(#20)
Old

Default 03-29-2019, 06:26 AM

And the truck is an animal BTW!
(#21)
Old

Default 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM

Terry?
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-31-2019, 03:38 PM

You can log map0 with the 3.5bar TMAP sensors on if you want to start. Entirely up to you.

Burger Motorsports