N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 2E7C and water pump on constantly when car off - 06-15-2015, 02:51 AM

My first real issue with the car since getting her this winter.

Drove around for a while today with the family. Stopped a couple times with no issue. Last stop, when I shut the car off I could hear the water pump running, but at a high speed vs. what is a low speed typically after shutting the car off. I figure it was me running it a little hard + it being really hot out.

Come back an hour later and the car won't start. Now I've killed the battery doing stuff with this car before, but it just acted like it was fine but wouldn't try to crank. Eventually it gave a pile of DSC errors.

I toss the jump pack on her and she fires right up. Hmmm.

Get home, shut her down and the water pump is still on constantly. I already reset the codes through my JB4 as I knew there would be several due to the dead battery. Checked the codes and I now have 2E7C and 2ACB.

Reset them again and only 2E7C (bit serial data interface, signal) came back immediately. Took the car on a quick run (as it had killed the battery again) and she felt a little down on power, though still in MAP 5. All of a sudden I got the yellow temp light. But when I went into gauge highjacking on my JB4, the water temp was fine. Drove her home without issue, still only have the 2E7C code, water temp still perfectly fine (190).

Any ideas? Quick Google search didn't come up with much useful. I had to disconnect the battery to get the water pump to go off. Car is farily stock with a JB4 G5 ISO on 28.8, pump gas backend flash and BMS DCI.
(#2)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM

are your fans running?

how did you measure water tamp at 190F?

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: complete part out - let me know of any parts you need:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55650
(#3)
Old

Default 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
are your fans running?

how did you measure water tamp at 190F?
Fans not running.

Temp via gauge hijacking the oil temp gauge.
(#4)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 06-15-2015, 09:51 AM

fans not running at all, ever? let the car idle for 15-20min, they should turn on
if the fan motor or relay took a dump it will explain the water pump running continuously

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: complete part out - let me know of any parts you need:

(#5)
Old

Default 06-15-2015, 03:19 PM

By fan not coming on I mean while the car was off. Never paid attention yesterday to whether it would come on while driving or not. I assume it was as I sat in traffic without it overheating.

I took a quick look (then it started raining). Car with battery unplugged for 24 hours, hooked it back up and the water pump started almost immediately. It is running full force - I popped open the overflow tank and it is steadily pushing a stream of coolant into it.

I fired her up and she started fine. Turned the AC on and the cooling fan kicked on about a minute later.

Oddly, my oil service interval changed. It was at ~13000 miles, now it is showing 900 miles. Oil level showed fine, as usual. No other service intervals changed. If the weather would hold I could get a better look at her.

To add further confusion (or clarity); after idling about 2-3 minutes from cold, the oil temp started moving above 160. Factory oil cooler and this car never, ever, EVER has the oil temp gone up before the water temp is fully up.

2ACB code is back as well.

Last edited by Nitrousbird; 06-15-2015 at 03:38 PM..
(#6)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 06-15-2015, 03:40 PM

freaky...maybe a random electrical fault...

(#7)
Old

Default 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM

I hate it when people have an issue and don't follow up with a solution (defeats the purpose of the search function if you can't find the answer).

Solution: replaced water pump and thermostat. Wasn't that bad of a job; cost me $423 shipped for everything (OEM water pump, BEHR thermostat, OEM coolant and distilled water). Basic hand tools and ramps are all that's needed. Could have brought that number down to $416 had my sourced my coolant from a different vendor (but I didn't want to wait longer).
(#8)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 11-16-2015, 11:14 PM

This happened to me today. I ran the heater rest mode a couple of times to cool the motor down before I changed my IC. Was super annoying. Nothing would stop it from running. If I hit the key to lock or unlock doors would stop for 30sec to min. Then start again. I disconnected the battery and its seems to have stopped this. SO many things could cause this but try to disconnect the battery for 5-10mins.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 11-17-2015, 06:18 AM

Fyi, the OIl level sensor, the IBS (intelligent battery sensor), the water pump and DME all communicate over the BSD line, (Bit Serial Data). I have seen the water pump take down the BSD and will set faults for IBS communication and of course Oil change interval changes.

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#10)
Old

Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM

I have the same issue
2016-05-03 00_21_16:
2E7C Bit serial data interface, signal
2E8B Intelligent battery sensor, signal

And water pump running on high when car is of

Should i change the whole ISB black cable with the sensor

Or what is causing this

Thx

2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 5862
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. CUSTOM TUNE, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...
(#11)
Old

Car: e92 bmw 335xi coupe
Default Hi there I am experiencing the same problem, did you find a solution to this? - 04-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious
I have the same issue
2016-05-03 00_21_16:
2E7C Bit serial data interface, signal
2E8B Intelligent battery sensor, signal

And water pump running on high when car is of

Should i change the whole ISB black cable with the sensor

Or what is causing this

Thx
Hi there I am experiencing the same problem, did you find a solution to this?
(#12)
Old

Default solution? - 04-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
I hate it when people have an issue and don't follow up with a solution (defeats the purpose of the search function if you can't find the answer).

Solution: replaced water pump and thermostat. Wasn't that bad of a job; cost me $423 shipped for everything (OEM water pump, BEHR thermostat, OEM coolant and distilled water). Basic hand tools and ramps are all that's needed. Could have brought that number down to $416 had my sourced my coolant from a different vendor (but I didn't want to wait longer).
Hi man I got the exactly same issue and replaced the coolant pump and thermostat and coolant pump connector but the coolant pump still does not stop after the car is totally shut off, did you find any solution to this?

Thanks!
(#13)
Old

Car: 335i N54 2008
Default 04-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscoffield
Hi there I am experiencing the same problem, did you find a solution to this?
The Code I used to get was P2E7C : Bit serial data interface, signal!

I changed out the pump and thermo and all was good.
my friend had exact same code and problem, water pump runs when car is off
changed pump/thermo also solve issue
but other components are connected on the same wiring diagram and can effect each other when one goes bad,

The alternator, oil level sensor, water pump, and intelligent battery sensor all communicate on the bit serial interface. Maybe check/clean connections of all those .

IBS(Battery Sensor) Alternator water pump and oil level run through BSD line

Did you check the grounds points on the valve cover ? You mention you replaced the thermostat/water pump..How about the IBS sensor ?

one other guy had the same problem on another forum and wrote:
I just had this very same error code [plus a few others] and it turned out to be a ground cable that failed... have you checked all of the grounds?
http://bit.ly/2oWAA6M

2008 335i N54 FFtech Top Mount single turbo Precision 5862
JB4 G5 , VRSF 7" FMIC , VRSF CP + HKS BOV, Tial Wastegates
BMS METH KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH MMP PI WITH 1055CC INJECTORS, PURE M1 METH,TMAP 3.5,
FUEL-IT STAGE2 BUCKETLESS LPFP, RB PCV. CUSTOM TUNE, xHP Stage2 v1.5
more to come...

Last edited by ferocious; 04-30-2017 at 10:12 PM..
(#14)
Old

Default 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious
The Code I used to get was P2E7C : Bit serial data interface, signal!

I changed out the pump and thermo and all was good.
my friend had exact same code and problem, water pump runs when car is off
changed pump/thermo also solve issue
but other components are connected on the same wiring diagram and can effect each other when one goes bad,

The alternator, oil level sensor, water pump, and intelligent battery sensor all communicate on the bit serial interface. Maybe check/clean connections of all those .

IBS(Battery Sensor) Alternator water pump and oil level run through BSD line

Did you check the grounds points on the valve cover ? You mention you replaced the thermostat/water pump..How about the IBS sensor ?

one other guy had the same problem on another forum and wrote:
I just had this very same error code [plus a few others] and it turned out to be a ground cable that failed... have you checked all of the grounds?
http://bit.ly/2oWAA6M

Hi I did check The alternator, oil level sensor, water pump, they are all fine, however I did not check the IBS and I am going to do that tomorrow. I ll let you know once that is done.

Thanks!