N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Non-Engine Related > General Tech Support, Tuning Advice, Logs, and Help Me Posts
Reload this Page Trims & both bank AFRs oscillating +car jerking while highway cruising w/steady pedal

(#51)
Old

Car: BMW E92 N54
Thumbs up FINALLY... the problem have been solved - 06-23-2016, 02:16 AM

FINALLY... the problem have been solved after days and days of analysing and troubleshooting it's was the MAF sensor the sensor that mount on the intake manifold even that just three months ago that sensor have been replaced and also i try to clean it but it seems did not work. however i just take the wire off to see and the AFRs oscillation and jerking issue has gone but so far i drive the car without connecting the wire (MAF sensor) with code (2D33 "absolute pressure sensor"). i'm still waiting for the sensor to test out so i can determine if the issue from the sensor itself or the powering that feeding the sensor.

EVERYBODY please just disconnect the wire and enjoy the car again till i replace it and emphasize that it the cause not the connection.

BMW 335i '08 E92 N54, JB4 G5 IOS, BMS DCI, VRSF ***, BMS-Tial BOV Kit with Chargepipe, VRSF FMIC, BMS Meth Kit, JB4 MHD BEF, BMS PCV valve, BMS OCC. TCU Alpina_B3 Flash, .
(#52)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 06-23-2016, 05:51 AM

Just to be clear, this STFT oscillation has nothing to do with the open loop OBD readiness test the DME is programmed to do during the drive cycle when cruising at ~60 mph? During this part of the drive cycle the DME oscillates rich-lean for ~10 minutes, I recall, and you can actually see the STFTs oscillate up and down.
(#53)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335xi 6MT
Default 06-23-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman
Just to be clear, this STFT oscillation has nothing to do with the open loop OBD readiness test the DME is programmed to do during the drive cycle when cruising at ~60 mph? During this part of the drive cycle the DME oscillates rich-lean for ~10 minutes, I recall, and you can actually see the STFTs oscillate up and down.
Correct,

Running rich-lean-rich-lean is a technique to increase catalyst efficiency. Running lean creates a lot of NOx and running rich heats the catalyst converting the NOx to N2 and CO2

E90 335xi 6MT - Deep Green
(#54)
Old

Car: 08 BMW 335i, Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
Default 06-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Any updates? I have replaced my o2 sensors that were throwing codes with no effect. Problem is still happening in 6th gear while cruising. In all I have had my intake walnut blasted, replaced all 3 injectors on the front bank,cleaned my MAP sensors,replaced both front o2s, and burned different tanks of gas from different places. All with no effect.
(#55)
Old

Default 06-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Tried unplugging the map sensor, Same problem. My AFR in bank one will start to go super lean while cruising then the car will over compensate and cause a stuttering. Almost like a small misfire. It is still throwing Lambda sensor codes off and on but the sensors are brand new and in the right spots. Car runs perfect at idle and WOT. What should I be looking for now? Possible JB4 hardware problem or something else?

Last edited by JacobLain; 06-24-2016 at 04:39 PM..
(#56)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 06-24-2016, 06:01 PM

Terry worked like a bee to solve this so-called persistent problem !! Thank to him

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !
(#57)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i N54
Default 06-24-2016, 10:47 PM

I'm sorry, is there a fix for this?

2008 e92 335i M-Sport|JB4 G5|MHD BMS BEF|BMS DCI|VRSF **|Alpina 7603537|BMS OCC|RB PCV|Stage 2 LPFP|Fuel It! ES-1 fuel lines with Ethanol Sensor and JB4 analyser|MMP Silicone Inlets|4 Bar TMAP|VRSF 7" FMIC
(#58)
Old

Default 06-27-2016, 06:39 PM

My problem was running the wrong board firmware. Make sure you have the right board for ISO firmware.
(#59)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2016, 07:53 PM

I've found that there are many things that can cause similar symptoms. So everyone will need to diagnose manually to determine what their issue is exactly.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#60)
Old

Default 06-28-2016, 05:44 AM

Her is the update:

i just had replaced the MAF sensor with New one and 85-90% it's better now but yes the jerking and osillating still here but now barely you can feel/notice it, and same thing if i unplug the wire, moreover i had tested four others N54 AT cars that all of them had JB4 and non of them can keep steady RPM between 1400 - 1700 .

BMW 335i '08 E92 N54, JB4 G5 IOS, BMS DCI, VRSF ***, BMS-Tial BOV Kit with Chargepipe, VRSF FMIC, BMS Meth Kit, JB4 MHD BEF, BMS PCV valve, BMS OCC. TCU Alpina_B3 Flash, .
(#61)
Old

Default 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM

@terry
I read DME codes and founded those shadow codes
2A18 DMTL diagnosis module tank leakage, heating....
29F4 catalytic converter conversion
30FF Turbocharge, charge air pressure too low
2FCA fuel high pressure....
2FDA fuel high pressure....
I clear codes and they keeping coming again, and i don't know if any of them could be the cause of my problem.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-06-29 21_17_20.csv (27.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: csv 2016-06-27 15_51_40.csv (22.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by K.Jameel; 06-29-2016 at 05:11 PM..
(#62)
Old

Car: AW 335i
Default 06-30-2016, 07:34 AM

I'm in the same boat but no JB4. MHD only.

2008 335i stock
(#63)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-30-2016, 10:58 AM

Trims maxed out and you ran very lean in your 6th gear log.
In your 3/4 log, timing was poor and the AFR's got really rich.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#64)
Old

Default 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM

@steve
I'm totaly awar of that, just wondering what could be from BEF...! Or due to boost leak?
Thanks.

(#65)
Old

Default 07-10-2016, 06:39 AM

Any Update guys, did anyone found something.

(#66)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

Everyone seems to solve the issue in a different way, so you all likely have different issues, despite the similar symptoms.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#67)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Yea, my car is doing the exact same thing, and easily duplicateable. Can agree it makes the car almost undriveable too. Going to review settings as described here and see what helps. I was down to replacing every o2 sensor in the car as a stab in the dark. Will post logs if angone is gracious enough to look through them.

Please any help or guidanceis appreciated. Not a lot of people here have jb4 experience or help.
Attached Files
File Type: csv bank 1 lean.csv (7.1 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by nonjingus; 07-10-2016 at 03:21 PM..
(#68)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Everyone seems to solve the issue in a different way, so you all likely have different issues, despite the similar symptoms.
Thanks Terry,

Okay those codes now keeps coming again "2C7B & 2A13" would it be the cause?
only remain now to take the JB4 off, i will do that before changing the probe sensor also i'm not sure because my turbo is bad and burning some oil.
any thought would be appreciated.

(#69)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 08-29-2016, 04:26 AM

It's been a couple weeks and "knock on wood" I can safely say I corrected the issue. Replaced all injectors with index 12 and the issue remained. Replaced both front O2 sensors with same results. All coil packs replaced again same result. Also swapped map sensors again with same results. Each time the car got better to drive but the base same issue was there... Cruise at highway speeds light throttle lean on bank 1 and would get so bad the car would misfire and stutter.

Finally decided the only thing left was the backend flash. Car had the BB flash and everything on the car was on the latest and greatest version of software. Went to the MHD flash and boom! Car runs much smoother and the stutter issue is totally gone. Hope this helps someone else who might have the same problems. I know a lot of times not everyone posts ehat actually fixed their issue. All the items I replaced were good ideas to replace and the car benefitted from them, but add the flash to the issue of possible causes.
(#70)
Old

Car: 08 335i 2/6
Default 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM

So I've had the sensor unplugged for the last 8 months with 0 issues so for anyone wondering if this will hurt the cars performance etc I alctually ran the best quarter mile time the car has been with the sensor unplugged. I am going to plug it back in tonight and see if the various software updates to both jb4 and mhd over the last 8 months might have fixed the issue and I will update
(#71)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-25-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seroga1986
Just like the title says. Trims and AFRs oscillate while highway driving with a steady pedal. Only happens once in a while as you can see in the logs. Have not changed any settings for a long time. Just started happening recently. Logs posted. Any help appreciated.
Had very similar symptoms on my car. Long story short, after countless diagnostics, it ended up being one rear O2 sensor that had no corresponding fault codes. Good luck!