N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2006 Ferrari F430 Spider & F10 550i
Default N63 Stage2 Misfire Cylinder 8 - 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Hey guys, so I have popped the Stage 2 BMS JB4 out for the N63 customer care package nd when I plugged it back in, the power doesn't seem to be all there like it used to be. Do I have to reflash the software, upgrade anything, with a computer hookup?

I recall I had to reflash the jb4 on my 335i, and it worked like it should. Any help, also, links on downloading the software would be helpful for a windows PC.

Yes I have the USB connections.
(#2)
Old

Car: F10 550i Xdrive
Default 02-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpatel
Hey guys, so I have popped the Stage 2 BMS JB4 out for the N63 customer care package nd when I plugged it back in, the power doesn't seem to be all there like it used to be. Do I have to reflash the software, upgrade anything, with a computer hookup?

I recall I had to reflash the jb4 on my 335i, and it worked like it should. Any help, also, links on downloading the software would be helpful for a windows PC.

Yes I have the USB connections.
when i put my stage 2 back in i had crazy codes and when i cleared them all my car had no power at all it was just driving.

F10 550i xdrive Carbon Black Aluminum BMS Stage 2 WR 11.943 @117.940 Time Slip 421AWHP 467.9 AWTQ MUSTANG DYNO
(#3)
Old

Default 03-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Can someonw show me where to get the firmware for the Stage 2 N63 tune?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2015, 08:14 PM

It's not posted. We reload it on the Stage2 boxes before shipment.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Got it, now on the JB4 Software, I got it all connected. I go to read DME codes and it doesn't have a drop down option for n63, only n54E, N55E, N55F, N20/N26, and S55M3.

I tried reading codes and it said code read fail. I am using firmware version 4/9/14//4
Interface Ver 12/15/2014
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2015, 08:32 PM

The n63 tuning does not have CANbus, so it won't be able to read codes. You'd need to use a BT cable or basic OBDII reader for that purpose.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 03-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Thanks for getting back so quick.

But I'm a bit disappointed; you advised I buy the USB cable when I asked you about the drivetrain error code a while back. To send you the logs/codes after I see what the car is telling me. Something along those lines.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2015, 09:02 PM

The n63 notes in the first post covers all of the details.

If I told you to buy a BMS USB cable to read codes I must not have realized you had an n63. You'd need a JB4 to read codes. The n63 Stage2 is not a JB4 system.

You can datalog the system to monitor boost, fuel pressure, and a few others.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Anyone else experiencing partially rough acceleration? This leads into a check engine sign and the drivetrain malfunction sign. What could be the issue here? I don't have an OBDII reader and the error message goes away after 2-3 restarts. I feel like the issues are coming back more often now tho.

I might have to scrap the Jb4, doesn't feel too stable.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Anyone else experiencing partially rough acceleration? This leads into a check engine sign and the drivetrain malfunction sign. What could be the issue here? I don't have an OBDII reader and the error message goes away after 2-3 restarts. I feel like the issues are coming back more often now tho.

I might have to scrap the Jb4, doesn't feel too stable.
We don't make a JB4 for the n63. You mean the Stage2?

If you're unable or unwilling to read diagnostic codes when they come up definitely revert back to a Stage1. Removing the Stage2 wires to the DME and running only the two TMAP sensor wires will allow it to function as a normal Stage1.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 03-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We don't make a JB4 for the n63. You mean the Stage2?

If you're unable or unwilling to read diagnostic codes when they come up definitely revert back to a Stage1. Removing the Stage2 wires to the DME and running only the two TMAP sensor wires will allow it to function as a normal Stage1.
Yes I mean stage2, I thought it was a JB4 Stage2 for the N63.

I will do some research on an OBDII sensor. But I bought the kit as a completed Stage2, would like to use it without much issue. Is this a common occurrence, should I be worried. I haven't been too worried thus far since the warning has gone away each time.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Yes I mean stage2, I thought it was a JB4 Stage2 for the N63.

I will do some research on an OBDII sensor. But I bought the kit as a completed Stage2, would like to use it without much issue. Is this a common occurrence, should I be worried. I haven't been too worried thus far since the warning has gone away each time.
Did you read the first post of this thread? Stage2 is a BETA system and we suggest having a BMS USB cable for software changes if needed, and a BT cable for logging/code management, if needed.

I would not be worried much but clearly something needs to be adjusted/fixed if the code keeps coming back. Once you are able to read the code I can tell you the best way to resolve it. Maybe a Stage2 setting, maybe needs a new MAF, maybe its a spark plug issue, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 05-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Ok so here's my issue... I took the car to the shop as per requested to check the codes on the constant check engine light/drive train malfunction errors I keep getting. The car threw 10-15 error codes and the shop was like well reset and isolate the one code as soon as the sign comes back. Well it did and it was cylinder 8 coil. So I had them replace that along with the rest of the spark plugs. The sign came back driving out of the shop, went back and same error! They checked to see if it wasn't installed properly but it was fine. Cleared the faults and off I go. They said to pop the tuner off and come back in if it comes back.

Does the stage 2 need to be tuned to make sure the OEM coil in cylinder 8 doesn't keep giving me an error?
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-10-2015, 05:36 PM

No, although reducing power output could mask a failing coil/plug/injector at least for awhile. To do that I'd start by setting DWP to 0.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 05-10-2015, 05:41 PM

No idea what that means. Perhaps a setting in the tune when I plug in the car to my laptop? Find the setting that's dep and set it to 0?
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Yes set DefaultWastegatePosition to 0 to reduce the power output.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 05-10-2015, 08:07 PM

So this will essentially reduce power down, maybe to stage1? How will this resolve the drivetrain malfunction error being caused by the coul in cylinder 8 (again please remember this was replaced 3 days ago as well as the spark plugs).
(#18)
Old

Default 05-10-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
So this will essentially reduce power down, maybe to stage1? How will this resolve the drivetrain malfunction error being caused by the coul in cylinder 8 (again please remember this was replaced 3 days ago as well as the spark plugs).
Edit: dwp set down to 0 as suggested. It was on 2.
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-10-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Higher than Stage1, lower than Stage2. Less power means less stress on the plugs. Sooner or later it will come back, and then you'll have to reduce it further. Sooner or later it will then start coming up stock and you'll be forced to address whatever the root cause is. If the plugs are new, and they didn't screw up the gapping, then that leaves coil and fuel injector left...

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Higher than Stage1, lower than Stage2. Less power means less stress on the plugs. Sooner or later it will come back, and then you'll have to reduce it further. Sooner or later it will then start coming up stock and you'll be forced to address whatever the root cause is. If the plugs are new, and they didn't screw up the gapping, then that leaves coil and fuel injector left...
Ok this DWP to 0 is complete, and symptoms remain (Check engine light and misfirings I can feel). Again I want to be clear that the coil in cylinder 8 and spark plugs (all around) were replaced. I will take it to the indy shop again this week and have them run the codes again for me. If it can't get resolved, I don't think the Stage2 tuner is for me.
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Is the car slower with the lower DWP setting? The next thing to try would be setting the JB to map 0 to see if you can trigger it yet on the OEM tuning.

If you already have new coils and plugs, then it should be the fuel injector or maybe the fuel pump. You want to blame the Stage2 but blame the higher power levels. Whatever is wrong will eventually decay until the codes come up 100% stock. I wish we could do more to help but as I said the Stage2 can't directly trigger misfire codes. Those can only come from inadequate hardware on the car.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 550i MSport
Default 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM

OK I've had the stage two running for a couple months now, and within a couple weeks of having it on, i get a Drivetrain malfunction with serious performance impairment and studdering engine acceleration. Read the codes and it tells me cylinder misfire. Take it to BMW and they said it was a coil. after a couple weeks I put the stage 2 back on and within a couple weeks later, I get the same exact problem, different cylinder. Take it to BMW, and its another bad coil.

On top of it all, taking the stage two on and off is resulting in some of those pins that come in and out of the little boxes to get a little problematic (smushed) to the point to where I will not be able to put it back in a third time unless I somehow replace those connectors. One of the native wires & pins is also getting a little harder to get seated properly when I remove tune, so this is making me nervous.

So I am thinking I am done with stage 2. Any chance of a refund?
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2015, 08:23 PM

It seems to me a lot more people jump in to the Stage2 than should. It's a more aggressive tune than the Stage1 and the n63 platform is plagued by misfires at OEM power levels. Those inherent issues only get worse as power goes up. If you have a faulty coil, plug, or injector, you're going to find out when you try to run Stage2 power levels. I think you and OP would be much happier with the easier to install/remove, lower power, and less expensive, Stage1 tune.

My suggestion would be to roll it back to a Stage1 by running the TMAP connections, leaving the Stage2 wires wrapped up out of the way, and evaluate it. Then email me and we can discuss options.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: X6 50I
Default experiencing the SAME exact thing to the tee! - 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ok this DWP to 0 is complete, and symptoms remain (Check engine light and misfirings I can feel). Again I want to be clear that the coil in cylinder 8 and spark plugs (all around) were replaced. I will take it to the indy shop again this week and have them run the codes again for me. If it can't get resolved, I don't think the Stage2 tuner is for me.

Hi cj and Terry, I have been creeping this post for quite some time as I was worried this may happen. My n63 in a 2009 X6 has had the CCP done about 10k miles ago where Injectors, plugs, and coils have been done, just waiting on the fuel pump recall. I went to Stage 1 and ran Shell 92 with e85 mix with great success for a few months.

I went to stage 2 after installing Active Autowerks ** and drove on map 5 for a few months prior to going to map 2.

After a few months of driving in the fall, the car began to experience a CEL which was a misfire on cylinder 1. I replaced the coil on that cylinder regardless as I did not feel any misfire at this time however my vehicle every cold morning start/ cold soak start would go into a powertrain error with limp mode/reduced power. As many have mentioned, a quick restart fixed this 5/10 times. After further inspection, I also have 10-15 codes as well as a Waste Gate error.

So in conclusion, my problems are:
1)Limp mode is engaged 9/10 starts in cooler weather (4-5C/40F-50F) 4-6 seconds after the vehicle is started.
2)Restarting the vehicle DOES not reset with any amounts of restarts.
3)I am running map 5 and waste gate position has always ben on 0.

Terry, my local performance shop installed the BMS Stage 2 unit, however I am only able to change maps and access the BMS through a USB cable and my Macbook. My 2009 X6 does not have the same series of steering wheel and gauge cluster as many of the f50 and f30 videos that you have posted.

Not sure if I was to throw money at removing the BMS/** and going to stock and still having this issue OR throw more money at replacing 10k old coils/injectors/plugs due to recently having the CCP done.