N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-13-2016, 10:57 AM

No log of problem, nothing for anyone to help you with.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#27)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 30FE under constant low throttle - 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM

I get 30FE reproducibly under constant acceleration at low throttle (no problems under WOT). Here's a log.

Name:  102116_0928.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  45.5 KB

Limp mode came on close to end of log around 4500 rpm, there is a slight boost over target (5.2 vs 4.7). Pretty persistent wrt variation of Menu 10, 11, 12, and hardware maintenance and upgrades (vacuum lines, solenoids, TMAP).

Not really a huge issue, I can work around (either shift or hit the floor), but kinda annoying. Is there any way to tell the DME in the BEF not to make a fuss about 1/2 psi? I tried to disable the 30fe, but this only suppresses the code, I still get into limp mode.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 161021_1758.csv (5.9 KB, 51 views)

2007 335xi (I8A0S kline) -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)

Last edited by yellowfin; 10-21-2016 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: insert image
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-23-2016, 12:02 PM

I'd recommend putting EVERYTHING to the default settings and verifying that menu 4 is set to option 2. Then try to reproduce there error and adjust menu 12 as needed.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#29)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Coupe
Default 10-29-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
I'd recommend putting EVERYTHING to the default settings and verifying that menu 4 is set to option 2. Then try to reproduce there error and adjust menu 12 as needed.
Perfect timing for this. Installed new turbos that I rebuilt and I'm running inlets and outlets. Been beating on the car for about 2 weeks now and have had no problems except for this morning...

Temps were about 75F. JB4 was still off and not warmed up, hit the onramp at maybe 40% throttle and got 30FE and reduced boost mode.

Not sure what my settings are in JB4.. its been about a year since I messed with menu 10 - 12.

Could this be related to how the actuator rods are adjusted? I pulled 6 Hg on both the front and rear turbo and made sure that the flapper was fully seated prior to installation.

I know its hard to determine without logs but just looking for some input.

Thanks guys.

Monaco Blue E92 // BMS JB4 G5 ISO // BMS Backend Flash // Dual Cone Intake // ER Chargepipe // Dual HKS SSQV BOV Setup // BMW Performance Spoiler // 19" v710 Dolphin Grey // Aero Front Lip // M3 Sideskirts // Mtech Rear Bumper // Quad Tip Diffuser // Quad Exhaust //
(#30)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 10-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Looks like the DME boost is not being scaled to the DME boost target prior to warmup.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#31)
Old

Default 10-29-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
Looks like the DME boost is not being scaled to the DME boost target prior to warmup.
I think it's not a question of warmup, but it happens under low throttle when running the BEF. Note the big discrepancy between DME_BT (~1.5) and ECU_PSI (~5) in the log of my previous post. The car was warmed up.

Under WOT, this does not happen, here a log of the same day:

Name:  161021_1810.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  46.7 KB

ECU_PSI (~13) is now correctly below DME_BT, so to get boost closer to target (alas, to no avail).

I understand that at some point there is a transition from base duty to FF control. Is it possible that the DME_BT under base duty is still at the stock value (is it the WGDC boost setpoint = 1.425?). Since, with BEF, the jb4 transmits to the DME a pressure close to the true TMAP reading, and not scaling it down as w/o BEF, this could trigger the code?

I believe I had the the DBC at 2400 for these logs, but even when I go all the way down 1500 which seems to be the lower limit, I can get the 30FE code. When accelerating under light pedal up to high rpm, it comes on around 5000-5500, mostly in 2nd gear. With higher DBC, it comes up also in higher gears and lower rpm.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 161021_1810.csv (6.2 KB, 49 views)

2007 335xi (I8A0S kline) -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Why have you disabled wastegate adaption?

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#33)
Old

Default 10-31-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Why have you disabled wastegate adaption?
My old stock turbos don't hold boost at high rpm, so FF learns up to ridiculous numbers, say 130, and I get kicked into map 4 (also overboost, but for an entirely different reason than 30fe). At the time of the above logs, I had also disabled rpm FF gain to see whether it helps with the 30fe (which it didn't of course), so in the WOT log (1810) above, things are looking a bit worse than they really are. Meanwhile I have rpm gain on again (FF=75, and btw, yes, 4/2). I typically come close to the map 2 target for a millisecond at 4k in 3rd, and then level out around 13-14 psi. Better in 4th, though. I tried the custom FF per rpm, but turns out that sucking harder at the actuators does not make much of a difference, so everything back to 50. If everything goes well, I plan to upgrade lpfp (prospective customer, yay) and turbos over the next year.

Anyways, about the 30fe, I think everything is ok as soon as the jb4 takes over boost control. I don't know exactly the conditions when it does, but at low load it obviously does not (since dme_bt << boost=ecu_psi < target for most of the 1758 log; note with more pedal than the 44 in the log, the 30fe does not come on any more). The nominal 5 psi jb4 target does not seem to play a role, and actual boost seems to be the result of the base duty (btw I never understood the difference between duty cycle and PWM, if any). With mods (***ed **) this might be much more than the DME_BT around 1.5 psi. I am not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that the cleanest solution is to raise the DME_BT at low load in the BEF. I don't know my way around in the I8A0S.xdf well enough, though. Any further insights will be much appreciated.

One more thing: altitude = 5500 ft

JB4 + BMS bef (E50)

Last edited by yellowfin; 10-31-2016 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: one more thing
(#34)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-31-2016, 10:15 PM

FF learning up uncontrollably can usually be resolved with some good DB tuning. I can't evaluate that with FF disabled though. In that 1810 log that looks to me to be a bigger issue than the condition of your turbos.

(#35)
Old

Default 11-01-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to see where the DB adjustment get me.

However, I'd like to direct the attention back to the thread topic, which is 30FE.
It seems that with BEF and mods, boost under base duty (say, 5 psi) exceeds the DME_BT set point (only ~1.5 psi). I suspect this reason for 30FE is not uncommon, and it might help to increase the DME_BT for low pedal/throttle. Can this be done in the BEF?

Any thoughts?

JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#36)
Old

Car: 335xi 2008
Default 11-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Same problem for me after install new turbo hexon rr600. Light throttle 30-40% and 30fe +3100 code.

Terry say put menu 12 at 2200.... ok for two months...after often 30fe and 3100 code come back. I must go down at 1800 to set problem.

Smoke test at dealers and all is good.

I hope is ok now. (6 weeks and no code)

'08 BMW 335xi // Sedan // Black Sapphire // Sports Package//Mods: JB4 G5 iso|MHD bef Race|Hexon rr600|inlets|stage 2 fuel pump|N20 tmap 3.5|Chargepipe|Diverter valve|RB pcvalve|BMS Meth kit|AA Speed Delimiter|BMS tuning gauge|UR CL **|BMS DCI|AA Exhaust|HELIX fmic|CDV|H&R coilover|10mm Spacers H&R on 4 wheels|**Record for XI's on dragtimes.com, before new turbo and inlets...new results soon...11.768s@118.70**Top speed 186,4 mph GPS, vbox 60-130mph 7.9,
(#37)
Old

Default 11-22-2016, 09:00 PM

It probably depends on the hardware setup, but I have menu 12 down to the min of 1500, and still get it under certain conditions, ie either constant low throttle acceleration in 2nd (surefire 30fe around 5500 rpm), or uphill in higher gears. No problem at wot.

By best guess is that it would help to increase the DMT boost target under low throttle, but it seems only wot load targets are known in the xdf (I8A0S for me). Alternatively, the jb4 could scale down the ecu-psi to dme-bt under low throttle (Terry?).

JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#38)
Old

Car: 335xi 2008
Default 11-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Me too when uphill at low throttle

'08 BMW 335xi // Sedan // Black Sapphire // Sports Package//Mods: JB4 G5 iso|MHD bef Race|Hexon rr600|inlets|stage 2 fuel pump|N20 tmap 3.5|Chargepipe|Diverter valve|RB pcvalve|BMS Meth kit|AA Speed Delimiter|BMS tuning gauge|UR CL **|BMS DCI|AA Exhaust|HELIX fmic|CDV|H&R coilover|10mm Spacers H&R on 4 wheels|**Record for XI's on dragtimes.com, before new turbo and inlets...new results soon...11.768s@118.70**Top speed 186,4 mph GPS, vbox 60-130mph 7.9,