N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Thumbs down hit in the head by shift knob - 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM

So I was doing the paddle shift retrofit and I wasn't able to get my shift knob off but I yanked it real hard and it hit me in the head I think I have a concussion what do I do car has no steering wheel can't drive to hospital

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbho3k
So I was doing the paddle shift retrofit and I wasn't able to get my shift knob off but I yanked it real hard and it hit me in the head I think I have a concussion what do I do car has no steering wheel can't drive to hospital
Nah, you're good

If you had time to write this post, I think you will live and are fine

2008 BMW 535i
JB4 G5, BMS Pump Flash, ( Updated FW ), DCI,
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
ER CP
E60 **
450 HP / 480 TQ ( when running AEM 320, 50% E85 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z_sELokzk
(#3)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Default 10-03-2013, 11:40 PM

I guess I'm fine...

I got everything installed just right... new paddles are working... except my steering wheel is in the wrong position now and I get steering angle sensor errors! Now I can't get the airbag back off! Can't find those clips! LOL!

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#4)
Old
administartor

Car: M340i,X5,Raptor,C7 ZR1
Default 10-04-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I guess I'm fine...

I got everything installed just right... new paddles are working... except my steering wheel is in the wrong position now and I get steering angle sensor errors! Now I can't get the airbag back off! Can't find those clips! LOL!
Glad you got you paddle shifters working and you survived the install. I've smacked myself with the shifter in a couple installs.

Did you have the install guide when doing the retrofit? It explains about the pins in the wheel and not to bash yourself in the face with the shifter.

The wheel can not go on any other way then the correct way. If you try to put it on crooked it won't go on. The retrofit does not touch or affect the steering sensors. So not sure what is up with that.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM

I have heard of other people doing this. Actually someone said they cracked their windshield.

07 E90 335i 6mt
(#6)
Old

Car: 08 135i FBO
Default 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM

lol, this thread cracks me up.

Thankfully I'm a 6MT.
(#7)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Default 10-04-2013, 10:08 AM

@Jason: Thanks for the tip. I didn't use the BMS kit, I stripped wires and soldered the whole thing, using some DIY on another forum for where the pins go, it was a PITA though and those instructions were not nearly as clear as a BMS manual would've been. And I think I wouldn't have injured myself if I had gotten the BMS kit because I would have had that tip in the first place. Hard to avoid though, did it a second time (though not as hard and not in my temple that time). In retrospect I probably should have just bought the kit.

I just put the wheel back on crooked in that going "straight" was the wheel turned at a ~30 degree angle. I don't know how I managed to do this - probably because I had hit myself in the head recently.

I figured out the trick to taking out the airbag. Everything is working now.

Last edited by coolbho3k; 10-04-2013 at 10:16 AM..
(#8)
Old
administartor

Car: M340i,X5,Raptor,C7 ZR1
Default 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
@Jason: Thanks for the tip. I didn't use the BMS kit, I stripped wires and soldered the whole thing, using some DIY on another forum for where the pins go, it was a PITA though and those instructions were not nearly as clear as a BMS manual would've been. And I think I wouldn't have injured myself if I had gotten the BMS kit because I would have had that tip in the first place. Hard to avoid though, did it a second time (though not as hard and not in my temple that time). In retrospect I probably should have just bought the kit.

I just put the wheel back on crooked in that going "straight" was the wheel turned at a ~30 degree angle. I don't know how I managed to do this - probably because I had hit myself in the head recently.

I figured out the trick to taking out the airbag. Everything is working now.

Well our kit is always available for the people who want a "painless" plug and play install. Glad everything is working. You can put the $149.00 you saved towards the doctor bill and getting the car repaired.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Prodigal Son

Car: 535xi
Default 10-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Not going to lie, I cracked up when I read the first post too. I did an install for a friend but I was able to avoid the windshield and my face when I yanked the knob.

Current Ride: Still picking one