N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default Clutch and flywheel selection - 07-09-2019, 02:09 AM

So... Iīve got FBO, and weirdly enough - after the last installed part ( chargepipe with tial q, and 1/4" manifold vacuum upgrade) On the first drive after this the clutch starting slipping in high gear pulls. Maybe because stock DVīs couldnt hold the pressure, and now it can - so it pulls more, cant tell the difference. Or maybe just weird timing.

So anyway. Time for a new clutch. I am not expecting to go over 430-450hp or whatever stock turbos let me do.

What would you guys recommend? What type of clutch, and would you change FW, if so - to a SMFW or keep DMFW?

Quick research, made me think about 335is/550i oem upgrade, or ACT with SMFW, or keeping the stock DFMW.

I would be happy if you supply links on where to buy - as we have no dealers in Denmark where i live. EU / UK dealers preffered - as customs in Dk is VERY expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM

335is/550i clutch upgrade and keep stock DMFW.

Check some local junkyards IMO.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
335is/550i clutch upgrade and keep stock DMFW.

Check some local junkyards IMO.
Junkyards?? What do you mean?

Why DMFW, over SMFW - because of rattling at idle or?
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 07-09-2019, 12:02 PM

I put together a complete write-up for the perfect clutch setup at your power level.

Check it out: Best Clutch Upgrade for BMW 135i 335i (335is/550i Clutch) | BMW 135i (N54)

It has links to everything I'd recommend for you.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandager
Junkyards?? What do you mean?

Why DMFW, over SMFW - because of rattling at idle or?
Low mileage used clutch will be fine.

DMFW so you save money.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-12-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
I put together a complete write-up for the perfect clutch setup at your power level.

Check it out: Best Clutch Upgrade for BMW 135i 335i (335is/550i Clutch) | BMW 135i (N54)

It has links to everything I'd recommend for you.
I already read your post, it was Like #5 result on google. It was an awesome and detailed review. However - going single mass and a non sprung clutch disc seems so wrong? Itíll be way to hard and noisy on the car IMO.
I feel like at least either DMFW or sprung clutch plate. But thatís just me.

@Payam, funny thing - in DK we have the highest car tax in the world. 150% added to the German price. So it is still an expensive car here - meaning that they are kept are alive. Non are found at junkyards. Also, Iím not trying to save money, just want the right solution. Thx for replies
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 07-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandager
I already read your post, it was Like #5 result on google. It was an awesome and detailed review. However - going single mass and a non sprung clutch disc seems so wrong? It’ll be way to hard and noisy on the car IMO.
I feel like at least either DMFW or sprung clutch plate. But that’s just me.

@Payam, funny thing - in DK we have the highest car tax in the world. 150% added to the German price. So it is still an expensive car here - meaning that they are kept are alive. Non are found at junkyards. Also, I’m not trying to save money, just want the right solution. Thx for replies
At the end of the post, you should see a section about SMFW vs. DMFW. I linked to the DMFW options that I would recommend. The car should drive and sound like stock.

- 335is Clutch Kit
- 8 bolt DMFW (2007-2008)
- 6 bolt DMFW (2009+)

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com