N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 bmw 535xi
Default JB4 recent smog experience - 07-06-2019, 09:41 PM

Wanted to share my recent CA smog experience with JB4 installed.

I decided to smog my vehicle with my jb4 in last week. I've been running the car in map 1 since I am all stock except for intake at the moment. I took it to smog place and literally changed to map 0 in the parking lot and shut the vehicle off to reset the system. they had the car plugged in for 20 minutes.

I was niave in thinking I could have my DCIs installed and they wouldnt do anything, but I ultimately failed visual due to having the DCIs. after doing a little research I realized that the BMS dcis which look absolutely identical to the VRSF that I have installed are carb approved I'm a little bummed that this is what n54tuning is selling since there is a very similar product that is carb legal, but I didnt know that when i was ordering so its my fault. The smog dude said to throw on the factory intake box and come back and he would pass me, so no big deal.

More importantly, the interesting news is that I passed all the readiness checks, and OBDII scans. contrary to almost everything I have read on forums about having to drive the car for 30 miles etc.. is this something that has been adressed in the JB4? I think it may be because i dont have auto code clearing enabled.. but honestly im not sure. I dont know how to check that parameter.

anyways I just wanted to share my experience.

Edit: I should have mentioned that this was only OBDII test. No sniffer!

Last edited by inline6xi; 07-07-2019 at 07:17 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Are you running all stock running and just JB4? Id be surprised if your running ***.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Are you running all stock running and just JB4? Id be surprised if your running ***.
stock except for DCIs. not sure what you were trying to say in your second sentence...
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2019, 07:03 PM

The N54 JB4 is not CARB approved for sale or use in California, but it has passed the Federal 1A standards. So it doesn't effect emissions.

The BMS DCI is the only 50-state legal DCI. We charge a few more bucks for it but it's well worth it. Our filters are better also compared to the cheaper options out there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The N54 JB4 is not CARB approved for sale or use in California, but it has passed the Federal 1A standards. So it doesn't effect emissions.

The BMS DCI is the only 50-state legal DCI. We charge a few more bucks for it but it's well worth it. Our filters are better also compared to the cheaper options out there.
Thanks for reply Terry. I may just sell my vrsf intake and buy the carb legal one...

Hey do you know why so many people have had trouble getting 'readiness' even in map 0? I literally changed to map 0 in parking lot and apparently all my stuff was ready... If it is the fact that I don't have auto code clear turned on, is this something I can check? I've been through all the menus on the jb4 and I see nothing about auto clear. Running latest board and my menu says 'version 3.6 settings'.

Thanks
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-08-2019, 02:40 PM

If you clear fault codes then you restart readiness testing so make sure you're not doing that. But for the N54 1A testing we had no issues getting readiness on the JB4 maps, and of course map0.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 07-10-2019, 03:03 AM

Hey,,are you running OEM exhaust manifolds, but you already stated you were stock, so I see now how it passed, as its still stock.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

I pass in Ontario, Canada, as we have less of a visual test. (however as of this past spring we don't need to test anymore).

My emissions themselves were clean. Many here report passing even with kittenless deepees, so long as it's not visually observed.

I would think it will improve your odds (there is a scale, not an on/off) of passing if you run in Map 0 for a bit. This will let the DME, 02 sensors, etc, adapt to fuel and boost so your burn is optimal.

My BMS DCI have way more surface area then my previous intake (Ultimate Racing Cold Air Intake).
Further, it's nice to know they are well certified.

** EDIT ** I have not tried to pass since the BOVs. I suspect the noise will make them look closer. Lucky me, our smog-tests are behind us now.

----

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (190,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4 Map 6 | RACE BEF | 94 Octane | @19 PSI
BMS JB4 | BMS WMI @ 60/40 (CM10) | BMS 5" FMIC | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | BMS Cowel Filters
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
RB PCV Valve
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019 - VCG | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Water Pump & T Stat