N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335i coupe
Default Help with reading JB4 logs. - 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Hey guys,

My car has begun auto-switching to map 4, when I WOT on map 5.
I've tried the best I can, but I could really use some expert eyes on my logs, to see if any of you can guide me to why this could be happening - what I need to look for, for a possible solution.

I have attached 3 logs with 3 photos attached as well.

1) 1 run in map 4
2) 1 run in map 1
3) 2 runs in map 5 - one succesful and one where it switches to map 4 in 3rd gear around 4k rpm.

I have the BMS dual cone filters, but am otherwise on a stock 335i with the latest JB4 firmware.
Running with Shell V-Power 99 octane.

Thank you in advance :-)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv map4.csv (9.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: csv map1.csv (8.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv map5 & map5 fail.csv (13.7 KB, 58 views)

BMW 335 e92 '07

Upgrades:
JB4
BMS open filters
7" FMIC
Chargepipe
Non-catted deepee's

Always running 100 octane
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Looks like AFR leaned out post shift on map5, but a more pressing issue is turbos seem tired or maybe you have a boost leak or vacuum line leak on the wastegates.

For logs doing them in 4th gear 2k to redline is a better idea.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Looks like AFR leaned out post shift on map5, but a more pressing issue is turbos seem tired or maybe you have a boost leak or vacuum line leak on the wastegates.

For logs doing them in 4th gear 2k to redline is a better idea.
Hi Terry,

Thank you for answering and helping out, and thank you for the tip about logging in 4th gear, I'll remember that.

Yeah the AFR leaned out and I have no clue why. I'm sure there can be a ton of reasons, but do you have a suggestion for what to do/check first?

You're mentioning the turbos might be tired, or I have a lead, can this have something to do with the AFR spike and the IGN dive on map 5?

I'm getting the ARM 5" FMIC, a charge pipe and a new hose soon. I hope it's a leak somewhere there so it'll be fixed when upgrading.... O_O

BMW 335 e92 '07

Upgrades:
JB4
BMS open filters
7" FMIC
Chargepipe
Non-catted deepee's

(#4)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM

Your default wastegate position is set for 22, which is extremely low and could lead to the slow spool. Normally people run in the 60-80 range. You can set in the interface or menu 10. Since that is off, I would also check your menu 12 setting (min duty cycle, not found in interface for some reason), it is usually around 26 and affects in-boost partial throttle.

Your FF variable also seems to need to learn upwards a bit, that controls the PWM range and curve. Fixing the DWP may help that stabilize.

When you are in spool mode, the car can run lean, but that doesn't explain the lean spike that caused the map switch. It seemed to affect both banks. Trims got stuck for a sec there. Fuel pressures were fine though. The Fuel-It guys may have a better answer about that.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Your default wastegate position is set for 22, which is extremely low and could lead to the slow spool. Normally people run in the 60-80 range. You can set in the interface or menu 10. Since that is off, I would also check your menu 12 setting (min duty cycle, not found in interface for some reason), it is usually around 26 and affects in-boost partial throttle.

Your FF variable also seems to need to learn upwards a bit, that controls the PWM range and curve. Fixing the DWP may help that stabilize.

When you are in spool mode, the car can run lean, but that doesn't explain the lean spike that caused the map switch. It seemed to affect both banks. Trims got stuck for a sec there. Fuel pressures were fine though. The Fuel-It guys may have a better answer about that.
Thanks for your input!!

Yeah it's weird with that spike.... That's what worries me a little O_O

Can I ask you to elaborate a little bit on the DWP? What would you recommend me do with it?

About the wastegate thing yeah... I've manually set menu 10 and 12 to where they are now, to prevent wastegate rattle since I'm having a hard time ignoring that, and these settings help. I honestly cant remember if I did a run with the settings standardized and got the mapswitch, but I guess that wouldn't have any effect on the AFR spike, right? Just how quickly it spools up?

BMW 335 e92 '07

Upgrades:
JB4
BMS open filters
7" FMIC
Chargepipe
Non-catted deepee's

(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 07-12-2018, 10:51 AM

I have bad rattle as well, but I found the alternative anti-rattle algorithm worked better to fix it than manually changing 10 and 12, which can have downsides. You can set that option in FutureUseD through the interface, if you haven't tried it already.

DWP determines how far closed the WG is when you are not in boost. 0% being max bypass but slowest spool, 100% being fully closed and max spool. Too low and you tend to have lag and bog, too high and you can have boost spikes, oscillations, or make boost at cruise. Usually a setting between 50 and 80 works best depending on your car, mods, and personal preference.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I have bad rattle as well, but I found the alternative anti-rattle algorithm worked better to fix it than manually changing 10 and 12, which can have downsides. You can set that option in FutureUseD through the interface, if you haven't tried it already.

DWP determines how far closed the WG is when you are not in boost. 0% being max bypass but slowest spool, 100% being fully closed and max spool. Too low and you tend to have lag and bog, too high and you can have boost spikes, oscillations, or make boost at cruise. Usually a setting between 50 and 80 works best depending on your car, mods, and personal preference.
Exellent inputs here man, thank you very much for taking the time to write. I will look for the FutureUseD in the interface and see what I can find, and I will play around with the DWP too! Awesome. 😎

I read somewhere that changing to open air filters can make the car run lean, if the fuel isn't adjusted accordingly. Does the JB4 change these things itself, or should I adjust this somewhere? Om guessing it'll only be more to the lean side, when I'm putting in my new IC soon. O_O

Or shouldn't I worry about this?

BMW 335 e92 '07

Upgrades:
JB4
BMS open filters
7" FMIC
Chargepipe
Non-catted deepee's

(#8)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM

It was one blip in one part of one log. Would sort the other issues and re-log to see if it reoccurs, and we can go from there. Fueling is all pretty well controlled so mods like the DCI won't cause any issues that require adjustment.
(#9)
Old

Default 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It was one blip in one part of one log. Would sort the other issues and re-log to see if it reoccurs, and we can go from there. Fueling is all pretty well controlled so mods like the DCI won't cause any issues that require adjustment.
Yeah true.

I did a few more pulls, this time in 4th gear as Terry suggested.
I had 5 succesful, but the 6th time, i got the half engine light and the 30FF code.

Something tells me, that the WG thing actually helped my car perform as it should, since it didn't switch to map 4, but that i most likely have a boost leak somewhere that i gotta check out. Do you agree or am i missing something?

Im gonna run through everything when i get my new chargepipe and fmic, and can hopefully find the leak.

run 5 (1) that went good is attached, and run 6 (2) that caused half engine light is attached.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 1.csv (14.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: csv 2.csv (10.1 KB, 43 views)

BMW 335 e92 '07

Upgrades:
JB4
BMS open filters
7" FMIC
Chargepipe
Non-catted deepee's

Last edited by Sonne; 07-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: forgot to attach logs
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Looks like a boost leak or a vacuum leak. Check all lines and chargepiping for any cuts or leaks. Could be a broken charge pipe if you're on the stock one.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2012 BMW 335i msport coupe E92 N55
Default Log support N55 - 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM

If someone could tell ne how I'm running and if i need to make any adjustments. Am running JB4 on map 5 and i have an MHD backend flash. Mos include wagner evo2 performance intercooler. Af magnum force stage 2 pro dry 5r intake system. Afe dynamic air scoops. Afe mach force exhaust and evolutionracework charge. Afe ********. And gfb diverter valve. I think thats it for now please any help
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-10 15_56_05_Map-5.csv (4.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: csv 2019-01-10 15_45_00_Map-5.csv (4.5 KB, 40 views)