N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Send a message via AIM to yeefoo335
Default Dealer issues with aftermarket intake - 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM

So I bring the car into the dealer because of the infamous F-series rattle that comes from the engine between 2500-3000 RPM and of course they tell me that the intake is not installed properly (this is my 3rd 335i, first F30). They blamed the rattle on the aftermarket intake and long story short they said there was nothing they can do adn their hands are tied because of BMW NA.

I then take out the intake and install the OEM intake. Went back a couple weeks later to the same service advisor and when I get there, he says I may have to pay 180.00 for diagnosis if BMW NA thinks the problem was due to aftermarket intake. The shop foreman even refused to diagnose the car. With the warranty still valid I do not see what the problem is. SA suggested I take the car to a different dealer that is not aware I had an aftermarket part on the car.

This frustrates me beyond belief, I have had turbos replaced under warranty WITH an aftermarket intake installed at that same exact dealership. Suddenly an intake is such a big issue with BMW.

Side note: Before I went to that dealership, I went to another dealership for the same issue and they, too, told me the intake was not installed properly and charged me 160.00 to install it "properly". Seems as though BMW likes to use that excuse a lot.

Will be taking the car to a different dealer next week, from what I have read, not much of a fix for this rattle issue. For a 50k+ car this is ridiculous. Problem started before I even installed the aftermarket intake, when I first got the car.
(#2)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-29-2015, 11:22 AM

Tell them you'll be talking to SEMA about a Magnuson Moss Act claim against them if they don't fix it. The Act ensures that unless the aftermarket part directly causes the problem, no action can be taken against your warranty. This is a known problem and was not caused by the intake, so they have no leg to stand on.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 535i
Default 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

Personally, I would return the car to stock before bringing it to the dealer. There seems to be some anti-aftermarket sentiment at many dealerships. It should take half an hour to an hour to change the intake. The time you waste driving to the dealership, waiting for your turn, arguing with the SA, etc is more than that. The best advise was:
SA suggested I take the car to a different dealer that is not aware I had an aftermarket part on the car.
(#4)
Old

Default 05-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Yea, car is now fully stock. Will keep going back until problem is fixed. If need be, I will just go straight to a attorney.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Went back to the dealership today, get inside and sit down with the SA and he tells me he cannot view my warranty information because he is "locked out". The message prompted to contact BMW before any repairs done on the car. He tried entering the VIN manually and same message. I was furious. I played dumb but had a feeling what the issue was. All because of an aftermarket intake. Ridiculous. So he is going to contact BMW and give me a call tomorrow

Immediately after I left I called the SA from the previous dealership and told him what had happened. He said maybe one of the engineers did that? Also recommended I call BMW NA myself but I'd rather not. I don't know, either way, they can't void my warranty because of a stupid intake. Car is fully stock now. This is so frustrating! Will see what the SA says tomorrow and report back.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Would BMW void warranty if they found the wires pierced?? The wires for JB4 stage II for N55?
(#7)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 06-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Can we start a thread about which dealers give us grief? We can quit buying from them.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, Wheel Lock Set, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
(#8)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 06-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Many times the dealerships are required to flag your car if you have aftermarket equipment, they do this even with aftermarket wheels, suspension and stereo equipment.

BMW has gotten wind that many of their turbo cars are modified, and later come in for warranty repair caused by mods so now they are starting to take extra steps and precautions, this is good to know, means you have to remove everything

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: complete part out - let me know of any parts you need:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55650
(#9)
Old

Default 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Finally the dealership figured out what had happened and luckily it is in my favor...
Got a call from my SA and he says "somewhere along the line someone locked your VIN out of the system" (previous dealership). Probably just to be an ass.

With BMW cracking down on modified cars. If you are going in for a complaint or repair. Best to remove ALL mods before the visit. Which is why I am selling all mods.
(#10)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi E92
Default 06-06-2015, 12:58 PM

This is very interesting BMW Portland was total opposite when I went there for my Vanos recall.

In fact they told me about how one of the managers or main guys there has two totally done up with mods etc.
They also sell Dinan there so that could be why they are alright with people doing work on their cars.
I can only see them giving issues if it's a mod that really screws up something on the car itself from that mod otherwise they shouldn't give a crap about it.

Sorry to hear that you had those issues
(#11)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM

I've never had any issues with BMW of Bayside and this is my 4th modded BMW. They even offered to do the Stage 1 install on my X5M. Could be because they know I'm a SEMA SAN member, or could be because they know the second they give me trouble, I'll do exactly what I did with Audi, sell the car and go to another brand.

With that said, Terry, any chance of Mercedes twin turbo V8 support in the not too distant future? If I had to sell right now, I'd probably look to get into an S550 or S63.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-06-2015, 03:27 PM

LOL, our local SA had previously told me "an intake will void your warranty". Too funny because I knew that going in but we needed a battery and it is under warranty for a couple more months. Thought what the heck, took the intake off, and went in for a battery not carrying if they threw a fit.

Boy did they....

The note on the invoice went like this...

"BE ADVISED!!; VEHICLE HEAVILY MODIFIED : DME PIGGY BACK TUNER, INTAKE DUCTING AND INTERCOOLER MODIFICATIONS....Aftermarket components not a warranty concern. "

Shoot, they have no idea...I was kind of offended, they missed A LOT with their "39 point inspection".

Fuel system overhauled, FF sensor, not to mention the 100% E85, turbo upgrade, OCC, trans says D1, D2... I'm thinking the startup probably startled them a bit though.

On a side note to the N55 owners with an upgraded fuel pump. When our battery was dying, we got the fuel pump warning on our I-Drive, once we got the battery replaced...it disappeared and hasn't come back.

The battery had and internal failure so the lower voltage probably contributed to the current draw and tripped the code.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#13)
Old

Default 06-06-2015, 06:13 PM

Some BMW SA's are so darn ignorant. My SA is under the impression the N20 engine is a non-turbo! LMAO I couldn't believe it.
(#14)
Old

Car: '12 335i xDrive E92
Default 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
LOL, our local SA had previously told me "an intake will void your warranty". Too funny because I knew that going in but we needed a battery and it is under warranty for a couple more months. Thought what the heck, took the intake off, and went in for a battery not carrying if they threw a fit.

Boy did they....

The note on the invoice went like this...

"BE ADVISED!!; VEHICLE HEAVILY MODIFIED : DME PIGGY BACK TUNER, INTAKE DUCTING AND INTERCOOLER MODIFICATIONS....Aftermarket components not a warranty concern. "

Shoot, they have no idea...I was kind of offended, they missed A LOT with their "39 point inspection".

Fuel system overhauled, FF sensor, not to mention the 100% E85, turbo upgrade, OCC, trans says D1, D2... I'm thinking the startup probably startled them a bit though.

On a side note to the N55 owners with an upgraded fuel pump. When our battery was dying, we got the fuel pump warning on our I-Drive, once we got the battery replaced...it disappeared and hasn't come back.

The battery had and internal failure so the lower voltage probably contributed to the current draw and tripped the code.
Well, ain't that something haha! I just bought a battery charger so I may rebuy the stage 2 LPFP. Thanks for sharing that tip!
(#15)
Old

Car: 135
Default 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM

BMWs warranty system is notoriously f'd up. I bought a Z3 under a military sales program overseas, when I brought it home and tried to get warranty work done (less than 2,000 miles on the car), the dealer told me it was a counterfeit BMW, a completely fake car. Seriously.

It took two months of calls to BMW NA to get their computers straightened out.
(#16)
Old

Default 06-09-2015, 02:56 PM

SA called me not too long ago, went in for the same issue (RPM spike during cold start and engine rattle during acceleration betwen 500-3000 RPM) and of course they found no faults and hear no engine rattle. Running out of options here, I know the car is doing things it shouldn't be doing...

How does the lemon buyback process work? If the problem persists, I am obviously going to keep taking the car back until the issue is fixed. Unacceptable for a 50k+ car...

They are keeping the car one more day to do a cold start.
(#17)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeefoo335
SA called me not too long ago, went in for the same issue (RPM spike during cold start and engine rattle during acceleration betwen 500-3000 RPM) and of course they found no faults and hear no engine rattle. Running out of options here, I know the car is doing things it shouldn't be doing...

How does the lemon buyback process work? If the problem persists, I am obviously going to keep taking the car back until the issue is fixed. Unacceptable for a 50k+ car...

They are keeping the car one more day to do a cold start.
What year is the car? Lemon law is only for cars 3 years old or newer, under factory warranty and the same problem needs to happen and be attempted to be fixed 3 times and still exist or be out of service for 30 days cumulative. The problem must also significantly devalue the vehicle or be a safety concern.

If they aren't finding a problem or you get the "cannot duplicate customer concern" BS, it doesn't count towards one of the 3.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#18)
Old

Default 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM

It's a 2014 still under factory warranty.

What if I keep taking it back to cumulate 30 days? Already been at the dealer for total of 4 days and I haven't even had the car for one year. Rattle has been present ever since I got the car.

I know someone that did a buyback with only 27 cumulative days, had the turbos replaced among other things like water pump and some injectors, it was a 2008 CPO. Nothing really of a safety concern but BMW still bought it back...
(#19)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeefoo335
It's a 2014 still under factory warranty.

What if I keep taking it back to cumulate 30 days? Already been at the dealer for total of 4 days and I haven't even had the car for one year. Rattle has been present ever since I got the car.

I know someone that did a buyback with only 27 cumulative days, had the turbos replaced among other things like water pump and some injectors, it was a 2008 CPO. Nothing really of a safety concern but BMW still bought it back...
But if they aren't finding an issue, the days aren't counting. For them to count they actually have to attempt a repair. It also depends on the state. BMW is far more lenient with people in California than they are anyplace else. In some states, BMW doesn't even participate in the BBB Autoline arbitration system. I got screwed because of that with my CPO X5M (in NY). 9 damn times they serviced the TPMS system and they still wouldn't take the truck back.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
2000 F150 Lightning
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
(#20)
Old

Default 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
But if they aren't finding an issue, the days aren't counting. For them to count they actually have to attempt a repair. It also depends on the state. BMW is far more lenient with people in California than they are anyplace else. In some states, BMW doesn't even participate in the BBB Autoline arbitration system. I got screwed because of that with my CPO X5M (in NY). 9 damn times they serviced the TPMS system and they still wouldn't take the truck back.
LOL "truck" hahaha.

Yea, I am in California and I hear they are the most lenient when it comes to buybacks. We will see, I came across a poll and it showed about 60% of F30 335i owners are experiencing the same rattle. Some people were offered a replacement while others had their vehicles bought back. I have a very reputable attorney, so we'll see. Will keep everyone posted.
(#21)
Old

Car: F30 335i
Default 06-16-2015, 03:13 PM

I've never even heard of that issue before, I guess im one of the lucky few.
Also my dealership doesnt have any issues doing any warranty work with all of my mods. Its crazy how selective some dealerships are.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | JB4/ACF Performance w/BM3 | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
(#22)
Old

Car: BMW 435I MSPORT
Default 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

I have a 435 and I have heard that rattle few times. It will hapen at low rpm's. and do it for a little then disappear. I dunno what it is.