N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default N55: BMS intake vs AFE Cold Air Intake - 02-03-2014, 02:42 PM

I have purchased the BMS intake for my E90 N55. I am just curious as to why the AFE is considered a cold air intake and the BMS is not? In the pictures, the set ups looks very similar.

AFE Cold Air Intake

BMS Intake
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Both intakes function identically only our version is much easier to install and remove, and half the cost.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: '09 E92
Default 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

From the photos you posted it looks like the BMS intake utilizes the bottom half of the stock air box while the AFE uses their own air box. It appears that the AFE box is a little taller and that the filter element goes inside of it and the top of the box seals up against the underside of the hood, helping to keep out the hot, under-hood air.

335i Coupe: E85 BB flash, JB4 G5 ISO (map 7), DCI and 60% E85 blend: 11.7 @ 120 mph.

Former Best with JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Have you considered making an N54 intake that looks like theirs for half the price lol. I know it won't perform any better but I'm sure 90% of the sales you didn't get is purely based on aesthetics.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
Have you considered making an N54 intake that looks like theirs for half the price lol. I know it won't perform any better but I'm sure 90% of the sales you didn't get is purely based on aesthetics.
For the N54 we've tested a lot of options. Nothing works better than the DCI on the dyno and at the track. So no plans to change anything there. AFE offers an N54 intake and we've tested it to make almost 15whp less than a DCI. It's just an awful design for a few reasons. Their N55 intake on the other hand is fine. Just twice as expensive as it should be, IMHO.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 02-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
For the N54 we've tested a lot of options. Nothing works better than the DCI on the dyno and at the track. So no plans to change anything there. AFE offers an N54 intake and we've tested it to make almost 15whp less than a DCI. It's just an awful design for a few reasons. Their N55 intake on the other hand is fine. Just twice as expensive as it should be, IMHO.
I have a question about the intakes for the N54. I current have the AFE but wanted to find out more about the rwhp difference between mine and the DCI,thanks

Last edited by Erzenj; 02-04-2014 at 09:38 PM..
(#7)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 02-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Intake debates again
Whatever rocks your boat, DCI is a no brainer point blank
(#8)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 02-04-2014, 10:21 PM

I have a good friend that has the DCI and i have the AFE and i was thinking of switching. Just wanted to see what info i could get
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW E92 N54
Default 07-26-2015, 05:56 AM

+1

BMW 335i '08 E92 N54, JB4 G5 IOS, BMS DCI, VRSF ***, BMS-Tial BOV Kit with Chargepipe, VRSF FMIC, BMS Meth Kit, JB4 MHD BEF, BMS PCV valve, BMS OCC. TCU Alpina_B3 Flash, .
(#10)
Old

Default 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzenj
I have a question about the intakes for the N54. I current have the AFE but wanted to find out more about the rwhp difference between mine and the DCI,thanks
In the post above yours, Terry just said its a 15whp difference between the intakes. Read first and ask second.

2013 135is 6mt - FBO - Pure stg2 - 90/10 meth - Fuel-It stg2
(#11)
Old

Car: 135
Default 07-31-2015, 10:11 PM

I tried both options above. The BMS is a much nicer solution. The AFE box does not fit, it overlaps by an inch in the back so it doesn't seal or even try to seal. The AFE's cone is small, with less total surface area than the stock filter.

For my setup, the most powerful solution by a noticeable amount is the stock sealed air box with a K&N drop-in and AFE forced induction air scoops.
(#12)
Old

Car: 2011: 335Xi
Default 08-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Since we are talking about intakes:

What is preventing me from modifying a seemingly superior designed F30 intake to work on a E90, N55? It looks like they could be interchangeable with some slight modifications.

F30 (notice how it doesn't have the stupid 180deg bend coming off the turbo inlet to loop over the back of the engine. Much less bends.)

E90
(#13)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 08-04-2015, 01:31 PM

from what i tried and saw
we going to need to move the steering wheel fluid reservoir
gonna move some oil cooler lines
gonna need to move the left lower coolant hose
thats about it, i have a work in progress, but its going to take a while, doing it on my free time when not at work

fluid res' relocation is pretty easy, some N54 ST guys did that,
changing the oil cooler hoses is pretty easy, there are some cheapo adapters for that to the lower part of the thermostat with -AN hoses
the only part that worries me is the coolant pipe
maybe i could source an F2X coolant pipe that is compatible to the E series chasis, and make my way from there

the stock filter location with its routing is pretty much stupid, we can only benefit from making that filter relocation happen

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 08-05-2015, 06:28 AM

Terry,

I've got a great idea, just not sure how to implement it without plastic molding equipment. You might consider it an upgrade to the BMS N55 intake. I've tried to do something similar with flexible lexan plastic, but it didn't come out pretty, and it wouldn't stay in place.

Mold a clear plastic cover that clips to the original air box. It doesn't have to be completely sealed, but mostly sealed around where the BMS intake comes into the air box. On the right side (looking from the standing at the front of the car), have a 3"-4" elbow connection that points downward, and a flexible hose that drops to beneath the car (the cross sectional area of the original airbox alone would be far too restrictive. I think it's only about 7 sq in). 3" would double the intake area with an additional 7 sq in, and 4" would be an additional 12.5 sq in. Optionally, wrap the original factory intake with insulation, and the drop down tube with insulation. Include the BMW clips or alternate clips to attach, as I, and most of us with the BMS intake have probably lost the original clips. I think a reasonable price point for this upgrade would be $100 or less.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Troy

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, GoFastBits DV+, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue

Last edited by tboudre; 08-05-2015 at 07:00 AM..
(#15)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***sooba
from what i tried and saw
we going to need to move the steering wheel fluid reservoir
gonna move some oil cooler lines
gonna need to move the left lower coolant hose
thats about it, i have a work in progress, but its going to take a while, doing it on my free time when not at work

fluid res' relocation is pretty easy, some N54 ST guys did that,
changing the oil cooler hoses is pretty easy, there are some cheapo adapters for that to the lower part of the thermostat with -AN hoses
the only part that worries me is the coolant pipe
maybe i could source an F2X coolant pipe that is compatible to the E series chasis, and make my way from there

the stock filter location with its routing is pretty much stupid, we can only benefit from making that filter relocation happen

I feel you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. IMO you are trying to modify the car around the intake instead of modifying the intake around the car. I think this intake can simply be cut at the filter end (2-3"), a 45deg silicone elbow installed at cut, short pipe installed (probably the cut section), and filter re-attached.

This doesn't see boost so losing the retention beads is of no detriment. Basically we need to turn the filter towards the back of the car 45 deg to fit where the air box was and to clear the fluid tank.

We are probably also going to need an additional elbow section at the turbo. The F30 attaches in an area where there are no *****.

Where are you VRSF? Design this an make it happen. Full intake that goes to the turbo inlet. I'd pay $400 for this, and it's dead simple. There is a market for this and certainly gains to be had. The only question is if the MAF wiring will reach the front location or if it needs an extension.

E9X N55 inlet

F30 N55 inlet

Last edited by wgknestrick; 08-05-2015 at 07:59 AM..
(#16)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM

it is not that complicated from what i see it
to locate the air filter on the E chassis the same as the F, you going to need to move the steering wheel oil res', the F series does not have it.

the other location to put the air filter is with a 90 degree bend right on top the charge pipe, but then you will not have a way to get cold air into the filter, or shield it properly. [orange is the piping, green is the air filter

dont be amazed by my paint skills, but here is what i mocked up in comparison.

the IDEAL place for the filter in the E series in my opinion is where the steering wheel res' sits, with some heat shield.

MAF extention is a MUST.
Name:  comparison.jpg
Views: 4495
Size:  354.4 KB

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#17)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM

Sourcing cold air into the filter is of minimum importance on turbo/intercooled engines. It has been proven time and time again that CAI gains are minimal and often outgained by better flowing short ram intakes at high HP ranges.

The intercooler is generally able to compensate for the 10deg difference in intake temps.

Here is a quick layout I did in SolidWorks. NOT TO SCALE, and I spent about 10min on this. Its just to show the feasibility of this and how you could easily create a singular intake to work across both E9X and F30 platforms.

(#18)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM

i feel my ms paint skills have been beaten

that is a good plan
i played with that location idea myself
seems possible to make, now somebody make it!

(#19)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick

The intercooler is generally able to compensate for the 10deg difference in intake temps.
I must have had too much time on my hands, because using the BMS intake setup, I measured the air temperature at the filter. Typical under hood temperatures are 180 degF. Even on a hot summer day, that's an 80 degF difference. If you're still running the stock intercooler, like myself, that could be an issue. I know for a fact that my IAT (as measured by the JB4) has surpassed 160 degF! I didn't do this test under the most controlled circumstances (I just had an RTD by the filter and an ohmmeter in the cabin with a No. 2 pencil and my Big Chief tablet). If I could trend the at filter temperature against the IAT, that would really tell me something.

Someone could probably run some numbers thru a mass/heat calculation and see what makes sense.

And I know that Terry has posted time and time again that the best gains are with the DCI sucking in hot engine air. Not sure if that was stock with only DCI or N55 intake or with upgraded IC and/or meth. But I'm sure those things come into play, and the engine compartment air temperature is not nearly as much as a factor running higher modded systems as compared to just and intake mod.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, GoFastBits DV+, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
(#20)
Old

Default 08-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Can I hijack a spare 0-5v input on the (N55 E series) JB4? I have an idea how I can do this with a thermocouple & a "hockey puck" (4-20mA/1-5v) transmitter that I have at home.

Last edited by tboudre; 08-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: "This" being trending the air at the filter against the IAT
(#21)
Old

Default 08-06-2015, 06:31 AM

wgknestrick
went to my car today, tried to see and do as you meant for the air filter positioning,
mind you that this is a 3" pipe, so there is little space left for 2 45 degree bends, i just made that with 1 90 degree bend

this is how it would look
of course the air filter will have some support to prevent it from laying on the charge pipe
Name:  20150806_154457 (Medium).jpg
Views: 4195
Size:  275.1 KB

now, if this would be made from a bent plastic pipe or a single 3" pipe without my silicone connector i am sure if could be more compact

(#22)
Old

Car: '11 135i N55
Default 08-07-2015, 09:45 AM

How about doing a MR. 5 intake mod.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6012

Plug into the oem box.
(#23)
Old

Default 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM

i guess you did not see the power benefits the N54 made from shorter intakes
and on the N55, bmw redesigned their intake for the F-series chassis,
seeing we can ditch the front air scoops into the filter box, we can route a shorter, proper filter pipe from there.
as you can see i am working on something my self, but i am half assed about this
im sure someone could design and make something in the likes of wgknestrick's design which can be much more aesthetic

(#24)
Old

Default 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***sooba
i guess you did not see the power benefits the N54 made from shorter intakes
and on the N55, bmw redesigned their intake for the F-series chassis,
seeing we can ditch the front air scoops into the filter box, we can route a shorter, proper filter pipe from there.
as you can see i am working on something my self, but i am half assed about this
im sure someone could design and make something in the likes of wgknestrick's design which can be much more aesthetic
Just looked at my car this afternoon and our intake design efforts are probably for nothing. E9X still have to use stock location turbo inlet connections and the bends are a wash between intakes. Water pipe is in the way and the E9X bends aren't near as sharp as I thought they were. It's just a lot of effort for nothing IMO.
(#25)
Old

Default 08-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo V6
How about doing a MR. 5 intake mod.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6012

Plug into the oem box.
Mr. 5 was for N54. It doesn't quite work the same for N55 E-series or F-series.