N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E90
Default Injector tip broken off in head.... f. - 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Car was dumping fuel, clearly from rear most injector, pulled, and the actual tip of the injector is broken off in the cylinder head. Anyone have any idea how to get this thing out without pulling the head? Hopefully.... heeeelllllp?
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM

A very powerful magnet should help. Even most "non magnetic grade" steel is still slightly magnetic. So if it's made from something common like 303 steel, which wouldnt be surprising, you may still be able to pull it out with a magnet. Good luck! I'd recommend using a bore scope to inspect for damage as well, not to mention you can check to see if that piece you lost is still in there.

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#3)
Old

Default 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM

It hasnít dropped into the cylinder, it seems to be lodged in the head with very little/no protruding material above the bore. Tried a simple magnet but no dice, feel like itís stuck way better than a rare earth would pull, though maybe itís worth a try, not sure how much ferrous material would be in the top of the injector.....
(#4)
Old

Angry 10-17-2018, 10:40 PM

Yeah neodymium magnets def not cutting it. This thing is jammed up somehow... any other thoughts?
(#5)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM

Injectors are stainless steel, probably like 316 since it resists corrosion a better than 304 does. Stainless steel is ferromagnetic. You can take a magnet to a stainless steel bolt and you will feel a very slight attraction but this is rarely enough to lift the weight of the stainless steel.
Move that piston to TDC and try to fish it out through the spark plug hole with something like this:
https://www.tools-plus.com/ullman-16...CABEgK51PD_BwE

If the pieces are significantly small, just shop vac that shyt out of there with a small hose attachment that will fit through the spark plug hole. You can flood the cylinder with carb cleaner and vac it out right away to agitate the stainless steel particles from hard to reach spots/edges.
You want to be careful with stainless steel, it is a very hard metal and will rip the shyt out of any softer metals.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 10-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Maybe if you crank the engine without fuel/ignition (like doing a compression test) the compression will help pop it out? **Disclaimer** don't do this if you think the piece can fall in to the cylinder. I'm not sure if that bottom part is tapered enough or not to prevent that. Also be careful it doesn't shoot out like a bullet... OK maybe this is a bad idea.

Otherwise you could try to tap it like a cork & corkscrew to help pull it out.

Do you have a pic of what is stuck in there?
(#7)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM

^^ DO NOT DO THAT!

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
(#8)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM

Like i said, depending on if the injector pieces are large or small, get them out before that piston moves. If you want to move the piston to TDC, fill the cylinder with some oil to lubricate it. If any pieces of stainless steel are near the edge of the piston where it meets with the cylinder sleeve, they will score the sleeve when you move the piston up. It is much less likely you will damage the cylinder sleeve by moving the piston down as any metal particles near where the piston meets with the cylinder sleeve will not have any force behind.
Regardless of how this happened, fixing it will require attention to detail. Any flakes of stainless steel in the cylinder will cause significant damage. Take a shop vac, vac out as much as you can, use a nylon brush to loosen any stuck pieces away from the piston edge and keep on shop vac'n that stuff out. The piston will have carbon on it. If the carbon gets wet, it will make the stainless steel pieces stick to it more/will be harder to remove. However, the the stainless steel pieces should stick out when you shine a light on them due to the contrast between the reflective metal and the carbon layer they are sitting on. I would recommend to take a borescope and thoroughly inspect the cylinder for debris. This is to preserve your engine life.
I am a hobby machinist and I'm a senior mechanical engineering major at Wash-U, I have a pretty good understanding of how this will end up if you think you can just propel the pieces out with the acceleration from the piston by cranking the car over.

(#9)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 03:35 PM

I will post a picture shortly, there are no pieces of injector in the cylinder currently, the tip of the injector, as in the piece with reduced circumference that inserts into the head, is currently broken off in the head, and apparently it is wedged decently well, I would assume due to carbon buildup.
(#10)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Oh, I thought you meant the tip of the injector broke off and fell into the cylinder.
So you were trying to remove the injector and ended up removing part of the injector while another piece is still in the head?

(#11)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 07:36 PM

Did you use an injector puller?

(#12)
Old

Default 11-08-2018, 10:30 AM

No. I did not use an injector puller though that question and answer is irrelevant to solving the issue. I am relatively positive the injector body was already damaged which was causing it to literally pour fuel.

Had issues with posting photos to the forum due to being lazy and not wanting to host an image to link...

Problem solved via soaking with top end cleaner and pushing the portion remaining in the head into the cylinder and removing via magnet through the spark plug hole. Credit to my over qualified mechanic friend for the plan and execution. Probably should have keyed up on that possibile solution through all the discussion of fishing pieces out of the cylinder via magnet.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!