N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#376)
Old
SINasTER's Avatar
SINasTER SINasTER is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: BMW 335xi E90
Exclamation 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Did you select F series in app before reading codes? They should be 6 digits long on N63.

So, here is the log I can post, nothing much but that's it, car goes numb after that...

I also talked to Donnie and he confirmed that the JB4 app doesn't have a specified revision and engine selection anymore, it's all done automatically when connecting.

So I guess this is out of the question. Will try to do a reinstall tonight (of the app) and reconnect it to see if it's better or same.

Log is in attachment...

Do your magic guys and help me out please.

Also, do you guys have an up to date detail list of the steering wheel controls?

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-06-27 10_05_28.csv (7.1 KB, 100 views)


BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
Reply With Quote
(#377)
Old
SINasTER's Avatar
SINasTER SINasTER is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: BMW 335xi E90
Exclamation 06-27-2018, 09:34 PM

Was able to get a few more pulls out of it but still same issues with map 1... the only map that will get me more boost than stock doesn't work. Beginning to think that I received a bad board or something. triple check the installation and everything is 100% (connectors and tmap sensors and the JB4 connect kit).

Now I sometimes get an error saying "Error connecting to JB4, Please check your hardware connection).

I still can't find a way to specify the engine and kit revision, options not available. I am using the JB4 app on iPhone X (latest build) and also tried 3 other beta versions of the app (I am subscribed as a beta tester for Donnie).

I have 3 data logs for you...

3rd gear pulls:
Map 0 - no issues but no boost gain since JB4 is disabled
Map 1 - 4psi over stock with major issues to drivetrain and followed by limp mode

4 gear pull:
Map 4 - no issues but no gain either since it's the stock map with JB4 active

To this point, I see that if I am disabling the JB4 or running a stock map with no boost gain at all, everything works fine, but when there is a minor gain in boost, car goes berserk, displays drivetrain issues and goes on limp mode with engine, transmission and transfer case shaking like it has advance Parkinson disease.

If I don't find a solution soon, I will have to ask for a return and refund since it's clearly not working on my car even though I ordered the right one for the 2011 N63.

I also did a firmware update and it did not change anything. Got the latest firmware for the N63 (JB4_N63_OBDII_2_T4.hex).

And please stop saying to specify the engine and revision kit because the option isn't available on the iPhone app. If you think it is, please show me how to access it because I checked everything on the app and there is no option for this anymore!

Would be nice to have a proper guide for the install, we had to waste almost an hour to find a guide for the Stage 2 but not 100% sure it's just JB stage 2 or JB4 stage 2.

Thanks for the help
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-06-27 23_14_52 - map 0.csv (9.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: csv 2018-06-27 23_15_33 - map 1.csv (7.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: csv 2018-06-27 23_39_38 - map 4.csv (10.9 KB, 60 views)


BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
Reply With Quote
(#378)
Old
SINasTER's Avatar
SINasTER SINasTER is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: BMW 335xi E90
Default 07-01-2018, 06:58 PM

Is there 2 versions of the JB4 for the N63???

I was told in a forum (since I can’t seem to get answers gere) that there is 2 very different versions of the JB4 for the N63. Basically, ont for électronic waste gates and another for pneumatic waste gates.

How can I tell the difference between what I received from BMS and what I actually need for my car?

My car can’t boost at all when in map 1 and I get drivetrain malfunctions and then limp mode. I guess I just threw 1k$ out the window and got a worst car in the process

Need help in a timely fashion


BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
Reply With Quote
(#379)
Old
Payam @ BMS's Avatar
Payam @ BMS Payam @ BMS is offline
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5,374
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: e90 335i
Default 07-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINasTER
Is there 2 versions of the JB4 for the N63???

I was told in a forum (since I can’t seem to get answers gere) that there is 2 very different versions of the JB4 for the N63. Basically, ont for électronic waste gates and another for pneumatic waste gates.

How can I tell the difference between what I received from BMS and what I actually need for my car?

My car can’t boost at all when in map 1 and I get drivetrain malfunctions and then limp mode. I guess I just threw 1k$ out the window and got a worst car in the process

Need help in a timely fashion
Email me so I can help you. Send me some pics of your engine bay and what you purchased from us.

Payam@burgertuning.com


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#380)
Old
SINasTER's Avatar
SINasTER SINasTER is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: BMW 335xi E90
Thumbs up 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Email me so I can help you. Send me some pics of your engine bay and what you purchased from us.

Payam@burgertuning.com
Sent a message, pics to come


BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
Reply With Quote
(#381)
Old
makmilli makmilli is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Car: 550 ix
Default 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINasTER
I tried to find the place to specify the engine and revision but seems like it either disappeared or was moved... can’t find it anywhere and read somewhere that with the latest version of the app, this is done automatically.

Where do I change this?
have you found a solution to your problem, im going through the same thing. i have the jb4 connect kit and i've searched the app everywhere but can't find anything related to engine or series.
Reply With Quote
(#382)
Old
SINasTER's Avatar
SINasTER SINasTER is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: BMW 335xi E90
Thumbs down 08-02-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makmilli
have you found a solution to your problem, im going through the same thing. i have the jb4 connect kit and i've searched the app everywhere but can't find anything related to engine or series.
Unfortunately no, it seems the only way to do this is to plug directly to the JB4 via usb and I don’t have the usb cable and not planning to buy it either...

It’s suposed to do that automatically but it doesn’t seem to work on our platform.

Can’t do anymore tests either because I am in the process or rebuilding the entire engine with new turbos and everything.


BMW 550 M-Sport xDrive 2011
JB4 stage 2
Custom exhaust with 3" quad tips
Custom 3" D.P.s
ESR RF2 19" wheels
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40R19
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 275/35R19
GPS location alarm system with Tag
Reply With Quote
(#383)
Old
atktoy@yahoo.com atktoy@yahoo.com is offline
Freddie
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Sep 2018
Car: 2013 BMW 650i
Default 09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Hey Terry I have a 13 650i that I’ve been logging and talking with Payam about. He says logs look really good but you’re the man with the plan for giving the beast a little more! Let me know what you need from me to get the ball rolling!
Reply With Quote
(#384)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 09-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINasTER
Unfortunately no, it seems the only way to do this is to plug directly to the JB4 via usb and I don’t have the usb cable and not planning to buy it either...

It’s suposed to do that automatically but it doesn’t seem to work on our platform.

Can’t do anymore tests either because I am in the process or rebuilding the entire engine with new turbos and everything.
The App (IOS) was updated about an hour ago to version 2.3.5 to address “engine type detection and engine specific boost limits”. Download/update and see if the resolves issues.


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#385)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 29,864
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 10-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Came up with a possible software setting adjustment for those N63s that have large bank to bank boost variances. If you have time to do some logs load and log it!

JB4_N63_OBDII_3_T2:

1) Moved bank2 boost from "timing avg" to "boost2" in interface and logs.
2) Added scaling adjustment to compensate for bank to bank boost variances under "6cyl timing". Setting to 0 disables. Setting to 50 is no compensation. Lower than 50 will raise boost in bank2 relative to bank1, while higher than 50 will lower boost in bank2 relative to bank1.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#386)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-09-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Came up with a possible software setting adjustment for those N63s that have large bank to bank boost variances. If you have time to do some logs load and log it!

JB4_N63_OBDII_3_T2:

1) Moved bank2 boost from "timing avg" to "boost2" in interface and logs.
2) Added scaling adjustment to compensate for bank to bank boost variances under "6cyl timing". Setting to 0 disables. Setting to 50 is no compensation. Lower than 50 will raise boost in bank2 relative to bank1, while higher than 50 will lower boost in bank2 relative to bank1.
Thank you! Will get some logs in by the end of the week.

When increasing or decreasing above or below 50, does it matter how the increments are made? i.e increments of 1s, 5s, 10s or whatever works?


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#387)
Old
just_dirty just_dirty is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 135
Join Date: Nov 2014
Car: E92 Gulf Livery 335
Default 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinM
Thank you! Will get some logs in by the end of the week.

When increasing or decreasing above or below 50, does it matter how the increments are made? i.e increments of 1s, 5s, 10s or whatever works?
did this update fix the bank to bank boost variances? Also are bank to bank boost variance consistent or constantly variable? ie if bank 1 boosts 3psi higher than bank 2 can we always expect bank 1 to boost that much higher than bank 1 on the same map?


Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning **, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's

Last edited by just_dirty; 10-11-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
(#388)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-12-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dirty
did this update fix the bank to bank boost variances? Also are bank to bank boost variance consistent or constantly variable? ie if bank 1 boosts 3psi higher than bank 2 can we always expect bank 1 to boost that much higher than bank 1 on the same map?
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dirty
did this update fix the bank to bank boost variances? Also are bank to bank boost variance consistent or constantly variable? ie if bank 1 boosts 3psi higher than bank 2 can we always expect bank 1 to boost that much higher than bank 1 on the same map?
I haven’t done any testing yet. I’m waiting on Terry or someone to come back on my question regarding “6cyl timing” setting increments.

My experience has been that the variance is not consistent. However it’s not ever going to be perfect or consistent simply because there are many physical and logical variables the contribute to the outputs of each bank. Some N63 platforms have significant variances. I understand that this “fix” is intended to reduce or narrow the gap between boost. By either bringing one bank up or the other down. This is why I asked about increments, as I assume tweaking should be done so that the variance is reduced without creating a variance in the opposite direction.

I note though that on the N63, (my experience) one contributor to variance was faulty or weak CCVs. The oil going into the intake impacts output and output readings.. After installing a custom catch can setup my large variance reduced significantly. This along with ensure meth flow is balance as possible.

I still have some variance that ranges between 2 - 4psi.

Do you have a N63 platform? Your bio says “e92”.


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#389)
Old
Payam @ BMS's Avatar
Payam @ BMS Payam @ BMS is offline
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5,374
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: e90 335i
Default 10-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinM
I haven’t done any testing yet. I’m waiting on Terry or someone to come back on my question regarding “6cyl timing” setting increments.

My experience has been that the variance is not consistent. However it’s not ever going to be perfect or consistent simply because there are many physical and logical variables the contribute to the outputs of each bank. Some N63 platforms have significant variances. I understand that this “fix” is intended to reduce or narrow the gap between boost. By either bringing one bank up or the other down. This is why I asked about increments, as I assume tweaking should be done so that the variance is reduced without creating a variance in the opposite direction.

I note though that on the N63, (my experience) one contributor to variance was faulty or weak CCVs. The oil going into the intake impacts output and output readings.. After installing a custom catch can setup my large variance reduced significantly. This along with ensure meth flow is balance as possible.

I still have some variance that ranges between 2 - 4psi.

Do you have a N63 platform? Your bio says “e92”.
What is your exact question? I'm not understanding what increments you need specified.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#390)
Old
just_dirty just_dirty is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 135
Join Date: Nov 2014
Car: E92 Gulf Livery 335
Default 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinM
I haven’t done any testing yet. I’m waiting on Terry or someone to come back on my question regarding “6cyl timing” setting increments.

My experience has been that the variance is not consistent. However it’s not ever going to be perfect or consistent simply because there are many physical and logical variables the contribute to the outputs of each bank. Some N63 platforms have significant variances. I understand that this “fix” is intended to reduce or narrow the gap between boost. By either bringing one bank up or the other down. This is why I asked about increments, as I assume tweaking should be done so that the variance is reduced without creating a variance in the opposite direction.

I note though that on the N63, (my experience) one contributor to variance was faulty or weak CCVs. The oil going into the intake impacts output and output readings.. After installing a custom catch can setup my large variance reduced significantly. This along with ensure meth flow is balance as possible.

I still have some variance that ranges between 2 - 4psi.

Do you have a N63 platform? Your bio says “e92”.
Gotcha. Tuning support for this platform is pretty weak but that is understandable from a demand stand point.

Yes, I have a 550I as a daily driver. It's stock for now but I might consider tuning in the future. I really like the JB4 but without a back end flash option I don't really see myself using it on my f10.

Have you noticed any odd behavior with your transmission after the tune?


Frozen Black Widebody E92 : VRSF CP, N54Tuning **, Tial BOV, DCI, MHD Flash, Aquamist HSF-3 Meth kit Dual Nozzle, Megan Racing Toe Arms,Megan Racing Camber Arm, Megan Racing Trailing Arm, IND Delrin Subframe Bushings, M3 Control Arms,Fortune 500 Series Coilovers, Square 18x11 Apex Ec7 w/ 315/30/18 Hoosier R7's
Reply With Quote
(#391)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-17-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dirty
Gotcha. Tuning support for this platform is pretty weak but that is understandable from a demand stand point.

Yes, I have a 550I as a daily driver. It's stock for now but I might consider tuning in the future. I really like the JB4 but without a back end flash option I don't really see myself using it on my f10.

Have you noticed any odd behavior with your transmission after the tune?
Support is like pulling teeth sometimes but it has forced me to learn more by doing my own research. It has been better recently. @Payam is pretty responsive and helpful.

Terry just came out with a firmware update which tells me that they are still improving their N63 tune.

At the risk of sounding like a salesman.... although a piggyback, JB4 is a solid option that will give you moderate to considerable pep. It is also from my research and experience the only tested option that is reliable and provides real power increase.

Of course you can go all out like I have but my car is a weekend warrior.

To date, (knock on wood) my car has performed solidly on my setup. I’ve had the set up in for just over 1 year. I have not experienced any Transmission issues nor anything beyond normal wear and tear and typical BMW issues.

I’m still tweaking here and there to try and squeeze as much safe torque and power out of the setup possible. The only limitation for this platform is fueling capability necessary to support increased boost.

My engine performance setup:
JB4 w/ BCM
3.5 Tmap sensors
Rev 3
WMI (CM7 nozzles) (custom charge pipe)
Pure Turbo Stage 1
Full custom exhaust
Dual Custom catch can setup (this was a pain in the ass to design and install)
Fuel: 93 mixed with 104 race (not ideal for a daily driver)


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#392)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 29,864
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 10-20-2018, 11:06 AM

We try to give the N63 a little attention. Still waiting for customer logs on the new firmware that was posted a couple weeks ago.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#393)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We try to give the N63 a little attention. Still waiting for customer logs on the new firmware that was posted a couple weeks ago.
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the attention. Here are two logs I sent last week.


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#394)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 29,864
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 10-20-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanks... See the bank to bank variance here? Try 6cyl = 40, and 6cyl = 60, for example, to see if either gets it closer. So we know which way to adjust it.
Attached Images
 


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#395)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Thanks... See the bank to bank variance here? Try 6cyl = 40, and 6cyl = 60, for example, to see if either gets it closer. So we know which way to adjust it.
Thanks! Will do... as soon as I can figure this issues out. Posted a lil while ago:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55564


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#396)
Old
Rhodius Rhodius is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Oct 2018
Car: 2012 550i
Default 2012 550i with CCP JB4 potential tuning option - 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM

Hello folks,

long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been reading most of the postings on this thread, some I remember better than others.

I live in PA and have a 2012 550i with CCP which has the N63, this is my daily driver. I’m considering JB4 tune with the mobile connect kit for on the fly map change. From reading the Install pdf, it looks pretty straight forward if I don’t do the BCM. I don’t have the instruction for BCM install, but from reading comments it doesn’t sound easy. However I have some questions. I plan to be running octane 91 or 93 (premium gas), my intention is to run as normal as possible with greater acceleration and better response, as I understand the stock turbos are much more capable. I will not be driving super hard but occasional “fun” drive as I want as reliable as possible car. As of now I don’t want additional intake or anything else, unless barring something, this would be my only upgrade.

1. If I need to go through PA annual inspection, should I just set the JB4 to map 0 to pass the inspection? This is my biggest concern.
2. How easy to do the BCM myself? I'm not very handy at all, I've only done oil change on this car
3. Anybody in Philadelphia or South Jersey who can recommend an installer? In case I ran into issues, I’d rather have a professional install it.

I’m dyno-ing this week to establish some baseline. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
Rhodius
Reply With Quote
(#397)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 10-30-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodius
Hello folks,

long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been reading most of the postings on this thread, some I remember better than others.

I live in PA and have a 2012 550i with CCP which has the N63, this is my daily driver. I’m considering JB4 tune with the mobile connect kit for on the fly map change. From reading the Install pdf, it looks pretty straight forward if I don’t do the BCM. I don’t have the instruction for BCM install, but from reading comments it doesn’t sound easy. However I have some questions. I plan to be running octane 91 or 93 (premium gas), my intention is to run as normal as possible with greater acceleration and better response, as I understand the stock turbos are much more capable. I will not be driving super hard but occasional “fun” drive as I want as reliable as possible car. As of now I don’t want additional intake or anything else, unless barring something, this would be my only upgrade.

1. If I need to go through PA annual inspection, should I just set the JB4 to map 0 to pass the inspection? This is my biggest concern.
2. How easy to do the BCM myself? I'm not very handy at all, I've only done oil change on this car
3. Anybody in Philadelphia or South Jersey who can recommend an installer? In case I ran into issues, I’d rather have a professional install it.

I’m dyno-ing this week to establish some baseline. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
Rhodius

Hi Rhodius,

The first page of this thread will answer 99.99% of your questions.

BCM instructions are also on the first page of this thread.

To be helpful though (I was once a newbie too):

Generally, you have four main installation options (not including Water Meth Injection):

"Stage1: Connection to both TMAP sensors only. This allows performance equivalent to the current Stage1 system for someone looking for a quick and simple install.

Stage2: Adds in OBDII CANbus cable providing in dash map changing, boost gauge, boost by gear, stronger and smoother mapping, etc.
Stage3: Adds in two pairs of wires to the DME for fueling support allowing the use of E85 fuel mixtures.

Stage3+BCM: Adds in a BCM module that connects to two additional pairs of wires in the DME for direct wastegate control. With sufficient octane this allows the system to fully maximize power."

While installing the BCM is not too hard, having a basic understanding of electronic wiring and a reasonable bit of technical savvy is strongly recommended. You will be fiddling with your cars computer and as such you would hate to make a costly mistake. If you have no idea of what you are doing, don't mess with it.

As you say you will only be running 93, want to keep car as "normal" as possible and just want better response; in my experience nothing beyond Stage 2 above is necessary for your stated desires.

Map 0 disables the JB4. (Installed but technically not functioning)
Stage 2 allows you to only have remove TMAP connections and unplug OBDII CANbus cable to return to stock. A 5 minute process. This is not the case with Fuel Control wires or BCM.


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#398)
Old
xDrive750 xDrive750 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 2011 F02 xDrive
Default 11-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Looking for HEX file for firmware update. Looking to update JB4 with bluetooth kit via smartphone app...if it's possible. Message in app tells me to find hex file on this board, but i can't see to locate.
Reply With Quote
(#399)
Old
ErinM's Avatar
ErinM ErinM is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 36
Join Date: Feb 2017
Car: 2011 550 M-Sport
Default 11-03-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive750
Looking for HEX file for firmware update. Looking to update JB4 with bluetooth kit via smartphone app...if it's possible. Message in app tells me to find hex file on this board, but i can't see to locate.
It is possible.

The firmware file is in the first post of this thread.

There are two files, so choose the correct one.

Ive attached a screenshot of the exact location.
Attached Images
 


KYtuning:Cayman Islands
Reply With Quote
(#400)
Old
xDrive750 xDrive750 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 2011 F02 xDrive
Default 11-04-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinM
It is possible.

The firmware file is in the first post of this thread.

There are two files, so choose the correct one.

Ive attached a screenshot of the exact location.
JB4_N63_OBDII_3_T2:


I'm missing something then..I see what your talking about, the file is above but shows no file on mouse over or link to a download...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright © 2007 - 2019, N54tech.com