N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default Been chasing Map 4 kick forever. Finally a log. - 02-27-2016, 05:20 PM

Been chasing this for a year now. No CEL. Even put it in limp mode the other day with no CEL... But do have 29E Mixture and 29E1 Mixture 2, a 2C77 Lambda probe behind *** signal, 2D2E Angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure, correlation. and 2 0000 unknown fault.

I think the 2D2E throttle is from the firmware lagfix.

Please help. It took a LONG time to finally catch the map 4 kick.

Thanks in advance, and much think coming after.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-02-27 17_49_53.csv (7.8 KB, 90 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2016, 05:46 PM

It's the o2 sensor faults causing a lean AFR and the map4 switch. Mixture faults might also be contributing.

Mods, fuel?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-27-2016, 10:41 PM

I figured o2's. Both? What do you mean "mixture faults" might also be contributing? I'm stumped how both sides/o2s are going lean?

Mods are jb4 iso Burger intakes, ********* ***, 7" frontmount, and 70% e85 w 93. Newer factory turbos. Not sure why my lfp is not reading now?

Thanks a bunch Terry.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 02-29-2016, 11:56 AM

2nd gear logs are not good for analysis. Do logs in 3rd or 4th gear.

You FOL is set to 100, that is too high and your trims are still maxed out. That's a problem.

You are running WAAAAAY to much ethanol for not running a flash. You need to install an E85 backend flash or reduce your ethanol content to about E30.

In addition your FF is maxed out, that is also a problem.

Post a screenshot of your user adjustment screen.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Thanks Steve. Yes, no flash. :/ But do I need o2 sensors? I've had the map 4 kick even when I was running e40 though. I am out of town all week but will post that up when I get back.
(#6)
Old

Default 03-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Here are my settings Steve. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by aeturbo; 03-06-2016 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: pics didn't post...
(#7)
Old

Default 03-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Trying again... Don't know what's up with this website...
Attached Images

(#8)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 03-05-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Trying again... Don't know what's up with this website...
The size (kb) of your images is too big. They'll sometime upload OK but then won't show.

Reduce the size and re-upload and they should work.

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#9)
Old

Default 03-05-2016, 07:30 PM

I've resized them twice. Now down to less than 100k... Not sure what the hell is going on.
(#10)
Old

Default 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM

Trying again. This is ridiculous. Anybody know why I cannot upload a very small jpg screenshot?
Attached Images

(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM

There is a size limit of ~250k to avoid crapping out our database. I wish it would just block them but instead it just doesn't display them.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 03-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Trying again. This is ridiculous. Anybody know why I cannot upload a very small jpg screenshot?
Just Pm'd you - email me your images and I'll upload for you

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#13)
Old

Default 03-06-2016, 03:41 PM

They were down to 26k files..... I do this for a living. Even renamed them in case the server was thinking they were the same large ones. Heck, the originals were smaller than 250k. All that said, not sure what settings will show that are not in the log file. Thank you Keyap. I emailed them to you.
(#14)
Old

Default 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM

First thing I'm going to do is drive it easy and get the e85 out. Then fill with 93 and do some logs on map 5 to see where afr's are at. Or do you think my o2's should be changed out based upon what shows above? Steve, I don't want to do anymore logs, esp tall gear ones with the afr's that high. I can after I get the ethanol out. Thing is, I have been running this set up for a while now. I've always got map 4 kick on rare occasion, even when I was running e30 on map 5. I even changed to the higher bar sensor thinking that was the issue, with my new turbo's spiking past the failsafe. I got my e85 at a dubious source last time. But so what if it was e60 etc, doesn't make sense to me? I agree, back end flash is in my future, I was just looking at my hpf that was keeping up. Any answer why I no longer have lpf reading? Sorry for all of these questions, but I've been living with it for some time. Car is a stripped ape when it doesn't kick to map 4.
(#15)
Old
Demigod

Default 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
They were down to 26k files..... I do this for a living. Even renamed them in case the server was thinking they were the same large ones. Heck, the originals were smaller than 250k. All that said, not sure what settings will show that are not in the log file. Thank you Keyap. I emailed them to you.
Wow they're small . Hopefully still OK to read:-

Name:  Screenshot_2016-03-0546.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  77.0 KB Name:  Screenshot_2016-03-0556.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  70.1 KB

(#16)
Old

Default 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Yep. size WAS NOT an issue. Yes, that's what SHE said. lol. Still readable.
(#17)
Old
Demigod

Default 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yep. size WAS NOT an issue. Yes, that's what SHE said

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Only getting kicked to map 4 on occasion doesn't mean you weren't running lean, it only means you didn't run lean enough to get kicked to map 4.

All we can do is tell you what we see in the logs and make recommendations. What you choose to do with it is your call.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#19)
Old

Default 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM

Thank you Steve. So you believe that I need the back end flash? My O2's ok then?
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM

If you plan on running E85, yes you need a BEF.

I would get that sorted first and then we can go from there.

(#21)
Old

Default 03-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Well I fueled up with 93. Or I should say added in 7 more gallons. Drove 13 miles home and manged to siphon some out and it tested at e15. So I went out and did some logs. Car ran fine, no map 4 kick when I did the logs. But sure enough, I get into a skirmish with a built Mustang, and the freakin map 4 kick got me again. So damn tired of this!
2 questions.

First, was 13 miles enough to mix my fuel? It is SO hard to siphon fuel out to test, and only possible when completely full. But was it mixed enough after 13 miles for a proper fuel test?
If so, why am I getting kicked to map 4 if only at E15 and if too much ethanol is the problem? Again, i have had this issue for 2 years. Even when I only ran e30ish.

I am attaching 2 more logs that I did right before the map 4 kick. Again, I never get a CEL, other than the usual fuel plausibility 2aaf or whatever, and my cdp. Am I still too lean? Looks like afr's are pushing high 12s....
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-03-14 20_12_37.csv (7.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: csv 2016-03-14 20_14_21.csv (15.8 KB, 79 views)
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM

Trims are maxed, open loop too high, and boost looks pretty low for the PWM being used.

1) Do a 1/7 adaption reset ign on, engine off, a couple times. Also lower open loop back to 90. 100 is just going to trigger fuel pressure faults at high load. Update to 32.2 and lower FF to 120.
2) Drop down to map1 or map2 until you're able to load a back end flash map. The PUMP map would be a good starting point.
3) After that evaluate boost vs. target vs. PWM and perhaps search for boost leaks, do the vacuum line test, if that end still looks suspect.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 03-25-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Trims are maxed, open loop too high, and boost looks pretty low for the PWM being used.

1) Do a 1/7 adaption reset ign on, engine off, a couple times. Also lower open loop back to 90. 100 is just going to trigger fuel pressure faults at high load. Update to 32.2 and lower FF to 120.
2) Drop down to map1 or map2 until you're able to load a back end flash map. The PUMP map would be a good starting point.
3) After that evaluate boost vs. target vs. PWM and perhaps search for boost leaks, do the vacuum line test, if that end still looks suspect.
Thank you Terry. I had turbo's replaced under warranty 13k miles ago. A friend at the dealer did it, he's very competent and even changed out most all of the vacuum lines. I will check into that though. Will 32.2 fix my lack of lfp reading now. Nevermind on that, I'll read up on it.
(#24)
Old

Car: 335i, e92
Default 08-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Hi aeturbo,

Did you finally resolve it?
I'm in the same situation with my car now, my logs looks very similar to your log of your first post in this thread, and my mods are very similar with you has described in this thread also (with the difference that i have stage 3 lpfp, new hpfp with less than 2 month and the latest jb4 firmware and mhd jb4 e85 flash).
I have also 29e0, 29e1, 2aaf (and occasionally post *** 29f4 and 29f5) codes. I'm running on e60-e65. My boost spool is very slow (on any map of the jb4) and imposible to reach more than 13 psi on map 5, 7. My afrs goes very lean sometines kicking the car to map 4, and my trims are maxed (FOL is set to 90).

Last edited by CAA; 08-21-2016 at 11:36 AM..