N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135
Default VANOS and JB4 - 05-14-2015, 08:57 PM

My wife brought our 2011 135i into the dealer for plastic cladding falling off the bottom and clumping up into a ridiculous scraping testament to BMW crap quality parts. I was at work.

Unrelated, the dealer said the car needed to be scheduled ASAP for the VANOS recall and traded her for a new 428i loaner on the spot - anticipated repair time: 3 weeks due to massive backlog, the risk to drive with bolts possibly coming apart and ruining the motor, plus the need for a master tech to do the VANOS work which takes 1.5 to 2 days. Add that horrendous bill to the $15K they've sunk into my car under warranty already, and the $2K I've got in it since 50K.

Question: The car is well out of warranty - 70K miles and 4.4 years old - has anyone had any dealer push-back on their JB4 during non-warranty but free recall VANOS work?

Last edited by Z-8; 05-15-2015 at 02:27 AM..
(#2)
Old
M-Terkait

Car: F30 335i
Default 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8
My wife brought our 2011 135i into the dealer for plastic cladding falling off the bottom and clumping up into a ridiculous scraping testament to BMW crap quality parts. I was at work.

Unrelated, the dealer said the car needed to be scheduled ASAP for the VANOS recall and traded her for a new 428i loaner on the spot - anticipated repair time: 3 weeks due to massive backlog, the risk to drive with bolts possibly coming apart and ruining the motor, plus the need for a master tech to do the VANOS work. Add it to the $15K they've sunk into it under warranty and the $2K I've got in it since 50K.

Question: The car is well out of warranty - 70K miles and 4.4 years old - has anyone had any dealer push-back on their JB4 during non-warranty but free recall VANOS work?
Well a Recall isn't related to having a warranty.
You shouldn't have any problem but keep it map0 or remove ( to avoid headache ).

N55 - Doc race 6266.
(#3)
Old

Default 05-15-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait
Well a Recall isn't related to having a warranty.
You shouldn't have any problem but keep it map0 or remove ( to avoid headache ).
Luckily she had the presence of mind to call me so I could talk her through switching to Map 0. I'm guessing they'll need to reprogram something.

I've never understood the impact of a reprogram with a JB4 installed - Map 0 or otherwise. Anyone?

On the phone she said they asked her if she would like an oil change while they had it in, and of course she said yes. Seems like a clue to the dealer's intent, since I'm pretty sure they'd have to pull the oil pan if they had any doubt about the bolts. Seems sleazy to ask her to pay for that before starting.

Last edited by Z-8; 05-15-2015 at 02:35 AM..
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-15-2015, 08:48 AM

It's hard to say. They could blame the tuner although this is such a well known preexisting issue I think you'll be OK.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi E92
Default 05-15-2015, 09:40 AM

You are fine, I had my stage one from burger tuning when I had mine in for the Vanos recall last month no issues with having it in there.
Mines also out of warranty and it was the best time I've dealt with a dealer let alone BMW.
Was a little hard leaving the 435xi they gave me for three weeks however. :D
(#6)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 05-20-2015, 06:10 AM

So, I've got the 2011 335xi E90, had the wife bring in for the VANOS recall. I had removed the JB4, but left the BMS intake & charge pipe, and oh, I had the Alpina B3 transmission flash. It by no means took over a day, the wife waited on it, but it did take several hours. And they claimed it took so long because of the "aftermarket parts". Was it really that hard to figure out how to remove the BMS intake? Would they have to have removed the charge pipe to change a few bolts? I understand they took an extensive ride in my car after they finished. This was Peake BMW in New Orleans, FYI.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, GoFastBits DV+, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
(#7)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi E92
Default 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM

That I'm not sure of however I know that I had a different charge pipe in mine they didn't care about it. They had my car for almost two weeks however they did find broken bolts on mine which made them have to do more work on it.

Not sure also if it helps or not but the BMW I was at also does all the Dinan things also.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-23-2015, 09:05 PM

The flimsy stock plastic charge pipe is so cheap, one would think they'd apologize for making you change it.