N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 07-06-2017, 07:39 AM

The Stage 1 Performance Tuner appears to be just what I am looking for. Going the $1000+ route for an OV Tune and the dealership shuffle I'd have to play is too much of a hurdle. How many of that initial 75 unit lot are left?
(#77)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliej
I guess the app wont work either and no bluetooth connection?
You can use the same app and bluetooth adapter, but Stage1 can only log boost pressure. No CANbus data, obviously.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#78)
Old

Car: z06
Default 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Hello Terry,

I sent Jon an email earlier in regards to this product. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
(#79)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Spent a few hours on the dyno today with a factory stock red sport and our silver sport development car. Good data to follow!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#80)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM

First test car is a 2017 Red Sport running 91 octane fuel + a can of Lucas octane booster to simulate 93 octane. Weather was a factor today with dyno room temps around 100 degrees! Something to keep in mind when evaluating the results. Generally speaking the cooler the better.

Name:  IMG_20170706_121156074_HDR.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20170706_121635355.jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  164.9 KB

On pump gas the car made a best of ~374whp & ~397whp factory stock. Actually more than I expected from the platform, even a little stronger than the latest BMW 340i which is an impressive platform itself.

Using the BMS Stage1 to add 3psi to the factory curve (the default setting) resulted in ~395whp and ~429wtq. Decent gains. We also tested 4psi which jumped power up to ~405whp and ~454wtq.

What's become apparent with the Red Sport is the little turbos are simply not able to produce much more boost up top, but there is plenty of room down low to boost torque.

Name:  red_sport_pump_dyno.JPEG
Views: 2826
Size:  91.8 KB

After the pump gas testing we decided to add in a few gallons of E85 to evaluate the effect. Unfortunately by this point the car was also very well heat-soaked making the top end boost limitations even more apparent. Still, managed to crank it up to ~404whp and ~486whp. I'm confident on a cooler day power would be up north of 415whp.

Name:  red_sport_e30_dyno.JPEG
Views: 2897
Size:  87.8 KB

Burger Motorsports

(#81)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Name:  IMG_20170706_125824786.jpg
Views: 2865
Size:  118.0 KB

While we were at the dyno we also did some additional pump gas testing on our Silver Sport development car. The car is stock other than a prototype intake system, running the same ~93 octane fuel mix as the Red Sport.

We tested 3psi, 4psi, 5psi, and 6psi, with power incrementally climbing. I expect most Silver Sport on good 93 octane will be able to get away with the 6psi setting, while those on lower grade 91 octane fuel will probably want to stick with the 3psi default. Still, huge gains across the board, for a basically stock car with pump fuels.

Name:  silver_sport_pump_dyno.JPEG
Views: 2877
Size:  99.1 KB

Burger Motorsports

(#82)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0t (300hp) AWD
Default 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM

So the Q50 silver sport can push 6psi on just 93 pump gas??
(#83)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 03:50 PM

We've tested it... Whether it will work for everyone, remains to be seen. Try it out and report back.

Burger Motorsports

(#84)
Old

Default 07-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Terry I change the boost safety to 5 on map 3, i don't know if anything else if your suppose to change but most of the other numbers are 0's on everything else.. i don't know if I need to change anything else
(#85)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 07-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii
Terry I change the boost safety to 5 on map 3, i don't know if anything else if your suppose to change but most of the other numbers are 0's on everything else.. i don't know if I need to change anything else
Just the boost. Everything else will show zero

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#86)
Old

Default 07-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Oh ok thanks I got a little nervous... am I able to data log for this car?
(#87)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 05:21 PM

There is no logging offered on Stage1, other than boost pressure logging.

Burger Motorsports

(#88)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We've tested it... Whether it will work for everyone, remains to be seen. Try it out and report back.
Terry can you overlay the Redsport Q50 vs Regular Q50 dyno with the Jb1?
Essentially they become the same, right?

Burger Motorsports

(#89)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM

Here you go! Not much difference really considering what you save. I didn't rev the red sport out as high most runs but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#90)
Old

Default 07-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Here you go! Not much difference really considering what you save. I didn't rev the red sport out as high most runs but you get the idea.
What are these results based on? Just 93 pump gas??
(#91)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 07-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
What are these results based on? Just 93 pump gas??
+1

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#92)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50
Default 07-07-2017, 07:34 AM

Are there any concerns for boost spikes? Ecutec has been working on getting those resolved and they have from what the tuner claims.
(#93)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
+1
Full tank of 91 octane + 1 can of Lucas octane booster from autozone to simulate 93 octane.

Burger Motorsports

(#94)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR30 FTW
Are there any concerns for boost spikes? Ecutec has been working on getting those resolved and they have from what the tuner claims.
Have not come across any issues in the logs we've gone so far. The Stage1 itself can log boost so if anyone comes across any odd spiking email a log over and we'll check it out.

Burger Motorsports

(#95)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-08-2017, 03:29 AM

I T,

No DCI, Catback and *** in both Q50 right?

I hope you can win some more on the high side with those mods!
(#96)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 07-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mack
I T,

There is no high side. The turbos are done. Read what Terry wrote "What's become apparent with the Red Sport is the little turbos are simply not able to produce much more boost up top".
And they're cast into the heads, so they aren't replaceable. Best hope is that somebody designs a GT-R head, manifold, and turbo retrofit.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#97)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mack
I T,

Both cars fully stock, except the Silver Sport, which has an intake prototype installed for this specific testing.

We did some overlays with EcuTek tuned Q50s at the dyno and found the Stage1 produces fairly similar results to flash tuned cars. Of course you have a lot more tuning flexibility with flash tuning but it was nice to see the simple Stage1 in the ballpark. And when comparing tuned full bolt on cars found those exhaust mods seem to add around 15-20hp at higher RPM.

Burger Motorsports

(#98)
Old

Default 07-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Mmm interesting Terry I wonder now if I could beat my cousin's 15' Benz C400 (AWD), I'll provide links to before the stage 1 and after for everyone to see

2017 Q50 3.0t Silver Sport (AWD)
-Catback + d0wnp1pes
-BMS Cold Air Intake
-Jb4 (map 6)
(#99)
Old

Car: 2015 f32 435i
Default 07-08-2017, 02:05 PM

As expected, great results.

[SOLD] '15 435i - M Sport Brakes, BMW 19" 407 style wheels, Track/Handling, Tech Package, HUD, Auto
Mods: JB4 w/ EWG/FF wires, maps 2/5/7, AFE intake, ER 4" kitless, hankooks
'03 330ci - Titanium Silver, Sportline, Auto
Mods: Stock

Instagram: @Jb435i
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQs...ylVwzAmJLCmbA?
(#100)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Mmm interesting Terry I wonder now if I could beat my cousin's 15' Benz C400 (AWD), I'll provide links to before the stage 1 and after for everyone to see
We've yet to take ours to the track so I can't say what they run... At 400whp I'd expect mid 12s at least though. We'll VBOX it soon!

Burger Motorsports