N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335i F30
Default Faulty Boost Solenoid - SOLVED! - 10-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Hi Guy's

Just wanted to say thanks to @VROOM for his "Little or No Boost" Thread located here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114

My car was only boosting 3psi and then I started getting "Drivetrain Malfunction" and 2 dreaded error codes (120308 & 108F01) - boost pressure lower than expected and boost leak between turbo & intake plenum.

Listening to my mechanic...and thinking it was a bad charge-pipe or o-ring or possible intercooler leak...I bought a full set of Evolution Racewerks ***** & VSRF race 6" stepped FMIC (pic attached)...which solved nothing But it sure looked sweet and my intake temps have dropped dramatically so far (haven't got to do a highway log as yet...stay tuned)

I followed VROOM's guidelines on his thread. After finding no physical leaks thru a pressure test of the intake system I bought a boost gauge and did his solenoid test & wastegate test.

Bcuz of where I'm located I was unable to find a 100cc syringe or vacuum pump...so I used a 70cc syringe, I was able to deduce that my wastegate still had a vacuum seal and diaphragm was intact, but I was unable to get movement from the wastegate arm bcuz the vacuum created by the smaller syringe was too little.

I then did the solenoid test and BOOM found my problem (pics attached) after connecting the boost gauge I realized my solenoid was pushing minimal vacuum 3" and this probably was my problem!! I was able to borrow a boost solenoid from an e-series n54 and swap them out...once I connected this solenoid my vacuum went right back to 15" - Did a test drive and my BOOST WAS BACK!! :burn rubber: oh yeah!

So "Little or No Boost" guy's! I recommend following VROOM's guidelines to solve your problems!
Attached Images

2012 BMW F30 335i
Injen Air Intake
VSRF Down Pipe
VSRF RACE FMIC
Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes
JB4 with Rev 3 Connect
Waiting to be installed...BMS Meth Kit
(#2)
Old

Car: 435
Default 10-18-2016, 02:13 AM

with 15inhg vacuum, what's your DWP setting? I have 11.5 inhg for DWP60 and 22in for DWP100. my car is 2014 F30 335xi, but i have high pwm issue, not sure what went wrong.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Y4
with 15inhg vacuum, what's your DWP setting? I have 11.5 inhg for DWP60 and 22in for DWP100. my car is 2014 F30 335xi, but i have high pwm issue, not sure what went wrong.
Hey...with the working boost solenoid my DWP 60 was 15" can't remember what it was at DWP 100, would have to do it later and then let you know.

2012 BMW F30 335i
Injen Air Intake
VSRF Down Pipe
VSRF RACE FMIC
JB4 with Rev 3 Connect
(#4)
Old

Car: 435
Default 10-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ritch
Hey...with the working boost solenoid my DWP 60 was 15" can't remember what it was at DWP 100, would have to do it later and then let you know.
Thanks and your vacuum pre solenoid is 27inhg?
(#5)
Old

Default 10-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Vacuum pre-solenoid is 29 inhg. Also, when I adjust DWP position (60 to 100) the vacuum is the same 16-17 inhg

2012 BMW F30 335i
Injen Air Intake
VSRF Down Pipe
VSRF RACE FMIC
JB4 with Rev 3 Connect
(#6)
Old

Car: 2011 135i N55 DCT
Default 11-08-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Hi Guy's

Just wanted to say thanks to @VROOM for his "Little or No Boost" Thread located here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114

My car was only boosting 3psi and then I started getting "Drivetrain Malfunction" and 2 dreaded error codes (120308 & 108F01) - boost pressure lower than expected and boost leak between turbo & intake plenum.

Listening to my mechanic...and thinking it was a bad charge-pipe or o-ring or possible intercooler leak...I bought a full set of Evolution Racewerks ***** & VSRF race 6" stepped FMIC (pic attached)...which solved nothing But it sure looked sweet and my intake temps have dropped dramatically so far (haven't got to do a highway log as yet...stay tuned)

I followed VROOM's guidelines on his thread. After finding no physical leaks thru a pressure test of the intake system I bought a boost gauge and did his solenoid test & wastegate test.

Bcuz of where I'm located I was unable to find a 100cc syringe or vacuum pump...so I used a 70cc syringe, I was able to deduce that my wastegate still had a vacuum seal and diaphragm was intact, but I was unable to get movement from the wastegate arm bcuz the vacuum created by the smaller syringe was too little.

I then did the solenoid test and BOOM found my problem (pics attached) after connecting the boost gauge I realized my solenoid was pushing minimal vacuum 3" and this probably was my problem!! I was able to borrow a boost solenoid from an e-series n54 and swap them out...once I connected this solenoid my vacuum went right back to 15" - Did a test drive and my BOOST WAS BACK!! :burn rubber: oh yeah!

So "Little or No Boost" guy's! I recommend following VROOM's guidelines to solve your problems!

So the fix was to buy a N54 solenoid ??? or you bougth a N55 solenoid or are they the same ???
sorry for the dumm question.
(#7)
Old

Default 11-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frefer82
So the fix was to buy a N54 solenoid ??? or you bougth a N55 solenoid or are they the same ???
sorry for the dumm question.
Hey bro, no worries..

My friend had a spare N54 solenoid so I used that one and car been running perfect ever since, so didn't bother waste the $$ and buy a new one. The solenoids are pretty much the same thing, just N55 is a newer version.

Did log's and car has been meeting boost targets no prob

2012 BMW F30 335i
Injen Air Intake
VSRF Down Pipe
VSRF RACE FMIC
JB4 with Rev 3 Connect
(#8)
Old

Car: 2011 135i N55 DCT
Default 11-16-2016, 12:12 PM

hi there 2ritch, thanks for the answer, today i did the vacumm test and my gauge its in KPA, so i made the changes and give me this:

tach menu 10: 3000rpm = 60
vacumm on gauge: -50 KPA = 8 PSI

made the change to

tach menu 10: 5000rpm = 100
vacumm on gauge: -80 KPA = 11 PSI.

So my issue will be the boost soleniod ??

thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Hey bro, no worries..

My friend had a spare N54 solenoid so I used that one and car been running perfect ever since, so didn't bother waste the $$ and buy a new one. The solenoids are pretty much the same thing, just N55 is a newer version.

Did log's and car has been meeting boost targets no prob