N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: bmw
Default RHD 6466 N54 - 09-30-2018, 01:04 AM

Hi All,

Finally finished my RHD 6466 single turbo n54

There really is not a lot of room in there!

Spec:

Walton Motorsport hot pipe kit w/ 50mm pro gate
6466 gen2
JB4
WMI

Used Walton Motorsport hot pipe kit :

https://www.waltonmotorsport.com/pro...-kit-rhd-cars/

and some of my own 'fabrication'. It's a bodge but it works!

Teaser vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxw3KxIFIo

O2 sensor issues meant I couldn't go WOT (now replaced and working great)

Will get a new video of it working when I can.

Unfortunately can't get the external wastegate plumbed back into the exhaust as it has to run out of the wheel-arch due to space constraints (RHD ). So it's really noisy.

Will add the dyno results when I get around to dynoing it!

I should write a list of gotchas really....

Ok:

- Steering column removal was a pain, I swore a lot and lost skin, then it came off. I removed mine at the top end nearest the bulk head. Reattaching the middle with the turbo kit installed would be a nightmare!

- Steering column refitment the airbag has to be removed to get the steering wheel off, to get to the adjustable bit inside the column to push the shafts together. Nightmare. If anyone else gets to this point, I dunno if i did it right (there's not much info on this!) but I got one person to mate the rack end to the steering wheel end, get the woodruff key bits lined up and tap both ends together until the recessed bolt hole bit is in the right place (look from the top - push the rubber out of the way)

- Plenty of bodging required, instead of running a water hose all the way to the other side to move hte resevoir, I T-d into the water hose on the passenger side of the engine bay (which is where this hose goes anyway). Seemed like a good idea to me, I know others route a hose back across the engine bay again. Mine hasn't overheated yet and I've been gradually doing longer and longer runs in it.

- ******** to standard exhaust I made my own pipe from mild steel I got off ebay (pic attached). I'm not proud of my welding.

I'll probably get someone to make me a proper one at some stage.

- O2 sensors - just buy the NTK ones before you start. One of my stock ones worked fine before, soon as I went ST it died. I got another one quite quick and fitted that while I wait for my NTKs, dunno how long it will last though.

- The walton kit required a bit of modding as it's designed for their turbos and not a 6466, so things weren't quite right, but near enough. Consider this though when choosing your turbo, if you aren't willing to bodge a little just use their turbo. One of the O2 sensor heatsinks had to be removed as it conflicted with the compressor outlet, not sure if they will have this fixed for future orders. Walton Motorsport are great though, they helped me all the way with any issues I had, if you're in the UK and thinking of going single turbo, highly recommend these guys!

Any questions feel free to PM me
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 01:10 AM

some more pics of the manifold
Attached Images

(#3)
Old

Default 11-02-2018, 06:41 AM

anyone fancy having a look at my logs?

*edit* looks like datazap isn't allowed here (the original thread why not i can't seem to read!)

my trims max out on spool, but fuel pressure high and low *seem* ok?

so possibly thinking i need to modify fuel spool? i am running completely stock fuel system (and stock clutch!) at the moment, 20 psi on a 6466 and other than that it runs well.

does pull 3 degrees on ign1 so possibly needs more fuel there, ideas and thoughts (other than obviously upgrading the lpfp - on the to do list!)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-11-02 12_34_29.csv (6.7 KB, 127 views)
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-02-2018, 08:15 AM

Looks okay to me from what I initially see in the logs. Enable 6 cylinder timing in the user adjustments tab. What is your fueling setup so far?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-02-2018, 11:04 AM

got a new one:
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-11-02 14_00_47.csv (13.1 KB, 134 views)
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-02-2018, 11:52 AM

HPFP tanked in one of the gears. AFR has a slight difference between banks, not sure if manifold or O2 issue. Anyways, enable 6 cylinder timing so I can see how the rest of the cylinders are doing. You have quite a few timing drops, I would go to a lower map like 1 or 2 for now until you can get higher octane fuel in there.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 11-02-2018, 05:54 PM

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44656

according to that post wouldn't you expect my default to run meth in map 3?

since i have 0 and 0 for those settings?

i presume meth at 50:50 would help with the fueling/timing issues?

edit - it's very possible i didn't enable the meth - should it work in map3? or should i do map 6/8 ?
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-02-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psblah
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44656

according to that post wouldn't you expect my default to run meth in map 3?

since i have 0 and 0 for those settings?

i presume meth at 50:50 would help with the fueling/timing issues?

edit - it's very possible i didn't enable the meth - should it work in map3? or should i do map 6/8 ?
Meth map is different for single turbo. You will need to change your meth trigger

Meth Trigger Mode All Versions

1 - Meth flows on all maps
2 - Meth flows on map 3 only
3 - Meth is disabled on all maps

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 11-03-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Meth map is different for single turbo. You will need to change your meth trigger

Meth Trigger Mode All Versions

1 - Meth flows on all maps
2 - Meth flows on map 3 only
3 - Meth is disabled on all maps

Ah! Ok that makes more sense. So i'll just turn the meth on for all maps then, 6 cyl timing and get some more logs @ 17 + 20psi.

Cheers,
Phil
(#10)
Old

Default 11-03-2018, 07:09 AM

Sorry forgot to enable 6 cyl logging again... I realise this would make this much easier, but I forgot to enable it! will go out and log another one soon as I get the chance.

But this is with the meth at least, which appears to have solved the fueling issue, but it still dropped timing.... the first drop i'm pretty sure is due to wheelspin?

I think the traction light was still coming on during third as well, I know I ideally need to do a clean run in fourth, but that's not always immediately possible due to the private runway required can get busy. It is also right next to when I lifted off so is it possible that timing drop wasn't due to a knock event? Surely the WMI would be enough to stop knock at that boost? (again, your opinion is greatly appreciated here)

So yeah this is the best I have, will update with a better one when I can but I guess this is better than nothing! (I didn't realise it gets quite hard to get a good clean run when it's making this much power; wheelspin, traffic, and speed all make it a challenge)

If only there was an available dyno near me
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-11-03 10_48_20.csv (7.8 KB, 122 views)
(#11)
Old

Default 11-03-2018, 07:15 AM

I think it still has the standard clutch in there as well!

No idea how much power it's making but it seems to be holding 20psi + meth?
(#12)
Old
Brendan

Car: 335i 2007 6spdman
Default 11-08-2018, 10:49 PM

Hey Good to see someone else putting a single turbo on a RHD.

I've just tacked a 6266 setup and now ready to weld it all off. This includes the manifold (manifold was made just changed it to suit) dump pipe and wastegate plumbing back into exhaust.

I've just made my set up in a similar way.

I bought a manifold off someone and adjusted it to suit my car.

Making the dump pipe is a prick.

It took me 4 attempts and 15 odd hours doing pie cuts getting it to fit.
then I realised my wastegate pipe wasnt on the V-band properly and had to make another one.

I hope your enjoying it, It sounds pretty good!
(#13)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 11-09-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry forgot to enable 6 cyl logging again... I realise this would make this much easier, but I forgot to enable it! will go out and log another one soon as I get the chance.

But this is with the meth at least, which appears to have solved the fueling issue, but it still dropped timing.... the first drop i'm pretty sure is due to wheelspin?

I think the traction light was still coming on during third as well, I know I ideally need to do a clean run in fourth, but that's not always immediately possible due to the private runway required can get busy. It is also right next to when I lifted off so is it possible that timing drop wasn't due to a knock event? Surely the WMI would be enough to stop knock at that boost? (again, your opinion is greatly appreciated here)

So yeah this is the best I have, will update with a better one when I can but I guess this is better than nothing! (I didn't realise it gets quite hard to get a good clean run when it's making this much power; wheelspin, traffic, and speed all make it a challenge)

If only there was an available dyno near me

Sweet work.
Log is so short it's mildly pointless.
3rd gear, 2k to 7k RPM.
Traction Control fully disabled.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#14)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM

finally had some good weather and a clear bit of road to do proper run.

first log is map 2:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/attac...1&d=1543593013

this ran well. pulled good

second log was on map3:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/attac...1&d=1543593013

this misfired up the top

my notes:

map2 -

ignition across all cylinders is good. only running 7.5 degrees with meth so wouldn't expect any knock here!

both fpl and fph look solid

problem: trims and trim2 are very different

map3 -

ign across all cylinders looks good, the misfire started at about 6100rpm

fph and fpl all were looking good, then it just started to miss, fault code was cyl6 misfire.

trims and trim2 very different again.

*** EDIT ****

Post trim discovery i jumped back in my car and went for another run! this time to test a theory i turned the meth off.

map2:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/attac...1&d=1543595312

timing drops on a couple of cylinder but no trim variance!

map3:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/attac...1&d=1543595312

fpl shows signs of struggling (standard fuel pump so i'm not surprised!)

few timing drops as well here so really need the meth for our crappy fuel here in the uk! but there is clearly a problem with 1 injector of meth!?
Attached Files
File Type: csv map2 - all good.csv (14.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: csv map3 - misfired at top.csv (8.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: csv map2 - no meth.csv (8.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: csv map3 - no meth.csv (8.1 KB, 187 views)
(#15)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 09:34 AM

so i guess the meth is not being distributed properly amongst all the cylinders! i'm running a VRSF charge pipe, and CM12 nozzle, is there a known problem with this setup? (i thought this meth business was all tried and tested)

just checked and the VRSF does come with 2 plates for 2 nozzles, i just only used 1!!!

i don't doubt there's a thread somewhere that says explicitly, make sure you use 2 nozzles at 180 degrees or it'll run bad haha.

i just didn't see it.

for everyone that reads this, make sure you run 2 nozzles lol

Last edited by psblah; 11-30-2018 at 11:04 AM..
(#16)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
Hey Good to see someone else putting a single turbo on a RHD.

I've just tacked a 6266 setup and now ready to weld it all off. This includes the manifold (manifold was made just changed it to suit) dump pipe and wastegate plumbing back into exhaust.

I've just made my set up in a similar way.

I bought a manifold off someone and adjusted it to suit my car.

Making the dump pipe is a prick.

It took me 4 attempts and 15 odd hours doing pie cuts getting it to fit.
then I realised my wastegate pipe wasnt on the V-band properly and had to make another one.

I hope your enjoying it, It sounds pretty good!
you plumbed yours back into the exhaust?!? i wish i could, mine is ridiculously loud. there's just no room so it vents out of the wheelarch haha. WOT with the window is tinnitus inducing stuff

and i am enjoying it a lot

Last edited by psblah; 12-01-2018 at 08:32 AM..
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-03-2018, 11:55 AM

You will more than likely need a second nozzle from what it looks like. What size nozzle are you using and what fuel?

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 12-04-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
You will more than likely need a second nozzle from what it looks like. What size nozzle are you using and what fuel?
Does a single nozzle work for anyone? Feel like this would happen on any single nozzle setup as I've not changed much apart from the single turbo!

BM12 and 99 RON pump.

Is dual BM12 too much ?
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Does a single nozzle work for anyone? Feel like this would happen on any single nozzle setup as I've not changed much apart from the single turbo!

BM12 and 99 RON pump.

Is dual BM12 too much ?
For the power you're pushing most definitely, we recommend 2 when going larger twins or single turbo. I recommend dual BM10.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Default 12-04-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
For the power you're pushing most definitely, we recommend 2 when going larger twins or single turbo. I recommend dual BM10.
your website only says this:

N54/N55 with larger hybrid turbo(s): Single BM12 or dual BM7

and that's all i got via email too, so i went with the single BM12 so I could add to it later if i had to, now i have a BM12 which is useless and have to change it !

boohoo
(#21)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
your website only says this:

N54/N55 with larger hybrid turbo(s): Single BM12 or dual BM7

and that's all i got via email too, so i went with the single BM12 so I could add to it later if i had to, now i have a BM12 which is useless and have to change it !

boohoo
You can split the difference and get a BM7 in addition to your BM12!

http://www.burgertuning.com/meth.html

Those are basic figures and can vary for each car and fuel setup.
I would also add a stage 2 LPFP system while you're there.

http://www.burgertuning.com/fuel_pump_upgrades_bmw.html

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M-Sport
Default 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Where's the steering linkage at on a RHD N54 car? I would think I could see it in one of the photos but I don't see it anywhere. Can't imagine how tight it must be with all of that packed down there
(#23)
Old

Default 12-06-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
You can split the difference and get a BM7 in addition to your BM12!

http://www.burgertuning.com/meth.html

Those are basic figures and can vary for each car and fuel setup.
I would also add a stage 2 LPFP system while you're there.

http://www.burgertuning.com/fuel_pump_upgrades_bmw.html

but then in theory some cylinders will be running different amounts of methanol to the other cylinders (not good as knock is an average across all cylinders, right?)

really i need to get 2 BM10's to try and get the distribution as even as possible.
(#24)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 12-06-2018, 09:13 AM

These are injecting into the Charge Pipe, no?
If so, you can mix sizes. Content should blend on way to intakes.
You can beat Port Injection, but if you don't require it, why bother.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#25)
Old

Default 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
These are injecting into the Charge Pipe, no?
If so, you can mix sizes. Content should blend on way to intakes.
You can beat Port Injection, but if you don't require it, why bother.
yep, but i dont think it does distribute evenly otherwise the trims and trims2 would be identical (as they are with the meth turned off)